Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kboarders!

I usually post in the Writer's Cafe, but I figured I might have more luck in a more general forum with this question:

I'm writing a scene where a person is doing a daredevil move, going from the top of a semi tractor trailer to the space between the trailer and the cab, landing on the 5th wheel ... all in an attempt to make her way to the driver's side door while the truck is in motion.

My question is this:  If she grabs the blue air brakeline hose and pulls it out, will the emergency brake red hose thingy still work?

And if yes, how does one apply the emergency brake from inside the cab?

Thank you in advance to any truckers out there willing to share.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Hi Elle,

I'm going to try moving this to NQK ("Not Quite Kindle") to see if we have any truckers in there who might be able to answer.

(I took an air brakes course while in high school, but I forget how those hoses work! I do recall that the coupling on the air hoses won't disconnect with a straight pull - - you have to push in the outer cowling of the connector to release the hose.) 

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I think Elle also has a post in the Writers' Café about this...perhaps she'll get an actual trucker to answer her question.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
I actually know an actual trucker . . . . .

Elle, if you don't get an answer, let me know and I'll see if I can reach out to him.  He is on line, but he's definitely a senior citizen, so I'm not sure how often he checks email.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
ellecasey said:
Hello Kboarders!

I usually post in the Writer's Cafe, but I figured I might have more luck in a more general forum with this question:

I'm writing a scene where a person is doing a daredevil move, going from the top of a semi tractor trailer to the space between the trailer and the cab, landing on the 5th wheel ... all in an attempt to make her way to the driver's side door while the truck is in motion.

My question is this: If she grabs the blue air brakeline hose and pulls it out, will the emergency brake red hose thingy still work?

It's been a while since I messed about with those but if I recall correctly, it's a standard air hose fitting, i.e., you can't get it loose by pulling on the hose, you have to pull back on the connection sleeve and then the hose pops out due to the air pressure.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
ellecasey said:
Hello Kboarders!

My question is this: If she grabs the blue air brakeline hose and pulls it out, will the emergency brake red hose thingy still work?

Hello my hubby is a trucker....he says if she pulls off the blue air line air will escape, once the air gets down to 20 psi the trailer brakes will lock automatically. The red line is emergency supplemental air line and will still work. The emergency trailer brake is the red knob in the cab on the dash.

Sounds like a good book, hope that helped. Need more info let me know and I can ask him.

Carrie

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I went with a trucker and a truck mechanic years ago.  Both loooong gone.  Sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts