Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband sent me a Business Week article authored in August 2008 in Business Week online.  I ran an updated Google search this morning and saw a short piece in Business Week about an early 2009 Kindle 2.0 launch.  How reputable do you believe these reports are?  I searched these boards for "Business Week" before I posted, but couldn't find anything here....excuse me if I missed this topic.  Thanks for any additional info!

Here is the Google search I performed:   Kindle 2.0 site:businessweek.com

·
Registered
788 Posts
There have been rumors of a Kindle 2.0 for a long time now, and the Kindle itself is only a year old! From a business standpoint, I doubt that Jeff Bezos would roll out another version so quickly after 1.0, and so quickly after having a major promotion it. Having Oprah endorse a product only to put out version 2.0 a few months after makes no sense.

Amazon itself has shown no signs that 2.0 is forthcoming, and I wouldn't be surprised of the Business Week article has been taken mostly from the "TechBoy" article, which is dubious at best.

There will eventually be a Kindle 2.0, but I would seriously doubt that it's coming out early 2009.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't see Amazon coming out with a verison 2 right now, Amazon can't keep Kindle in stock there is a 11-13 week. I believe that there will be a verison 2 but I don't think it will be out be for mid 2009.  

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think that Business Week article has been pretty thoroughly discredited. My personal opinion is that Amazon is putting its energy towards launching the Kindle internationally. I think we'll see that before we see a Version 2.

L

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that Amazon must feel under no great rush to launch 2.0 given no significant problems or any lack of success with Kindle 1.0!  However, I do think the 11-13 week wait and demand for even refurbished models now may be heavily due to to holiday gifting.  I, too, think a 2.0 coming out spring/summer 2009 might be something we would see.  

Does anyone have any ideas how Amazon might launch the 2.0 without angering those who just purchased the first edition?  Do you think it will be all about different price points or do you have other ideas?  

·
Registered
788 Posts
The 11-13 week wait is definitely caused by an influx in holiday gifting, and Oprah naming it her "Favorite Thing", with the 50 dollar off promotion tied to it.

If they were going to put it out next year, I'd say a Q3 release. Get the most out of it by making it a holiday gift all over again.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mikuto said:
The 11-13 week wait is definitely caused by an influx in holiday gifting, and Oprah naming it her "Favorite Thing", with the 50 dollar off promotion tied to it.

If they were going to put it out next year, I'd say a Q3 release. Get the most out of it by making it a holiday gift all over again.
That is what I guess too... I hope they do have a special deal for those who already have version 1.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If all they change is the case, I'm not interested.  If they make software changes such as folders, perhaps we can upgrade to the new software via Whispernet without having to go to the expense of a whole new Kindle. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I believe they will unveil it in the first half of 2009. From all the reports I've read, it really does look like it has no new features. 1.0 does just what I need it to do.

My wish is to have an iTunes-like interface to make sorting easier. I love the iTunes playlist feature, and I think that would be great for the Kindle.

G

·
TM said:
That is what I guess too... I hope they do have a special deal for those who already have version 1.
Remember what Apple did with the new iPhone? NEW users got a great deal on them, while existing iPhone owners had to pay twice as much for the new ones.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sorry, not trying to be snarky or anything, but I don't get why people would be mad or even expect a "deal" when amazon releases a new Kindle.  It's not like your first gen. Kindle will be unusable when another one comes out.  It will still be exactly the same device that you bought and were perfectly happy with the day before.  I bought a laptop about a year ago, and, yeah, I could get a better one for the same price now, but I've also had the pleasure of using it for a year.  I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.  We all know it's coming, so if you don't want to wait, you get the current one, and if you're hoping to get something better later, you wait.  That's the way things work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm certainly hoping the majority of posts here are right cause I think I would be really ticked if they bring out a newer/better version of my Kindle  :'(

G

·
marianner said:
Sorry, not trying to be snarky or anything, but I don't get why people would be mad or even expect a "deal" when amazon releases a new Kindle. It's not like your first gen. Kindle will be unusable when another one comes out. It will still be exactly the same device that you bought and were perfectly happy with the day before. I bought a laptop about a year ago, and, yeah, I could get a better one for the same price now, but I've also had the pleasure of using it for a year. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. We all know it's coming, so if you don't want to wait, you get the current one, and if you're hoping to get something better later, you wait. That's the way things work.
*stands and claps*

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KCFoggin said:
I'm certainly hoping the majority of posts here are right cause I think I would be really ticked if they bring out a newer/better version of my Kindle :'(
Prepare to be upset; it is going to happen sooner than later.

·
Registered
205 Posts
IF there is a K2.0, it will be 4Q09 at earliest.  They have a LOT of work to do getting the Kindle to Europe and Non-USA North America.  This is Amazon folks, how many other electronic devices do they make?  That would be ZERO.  They don't have the wherewithal to make another hardware version so quickly - making changes to the hardware is really really really expensive.  I could see them making some changes to K1.0 via a firmware update (folders, etc), but not a new device.  

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
There will always be a bigger, faster, newer shinier model of Item x. Thats how it goes. Just look at computers. So we remember what we used to deal with? Then almost every month or few month, they were faster, smaller, prettier, etc.

I have a Tivo I had since 2002, I think. Its a series 2. Since then they came out with a series 3, a few others, now HD tivo. My tivo still works and does pretty much everything I bought it for. Minus HD of course. If I can get even half of that life out of a first generation Kindle I am happy.

When it is time for a new model Kindle, they will advertise it extensively and brag about it. Just like anyone else does with such things. They won't just switch them out without a notice or without a ad campaign. That doesn't even make sense.

I want to read books and maybe some Newspapers. As long as the Kindle does that for me, I don't care what model number it has to be honest. I tend to hang on to my stuff until it dies. Hence my 6 year old Tivo  ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Atunah said:
There will always be a bigger, faster, newer shinier model of Item x. Thats how it goes. Just look at computers. So we remember what we used to deal with? Then almost every month or few month, they were faster, smaller, prettier, etc.
Absolutely. What is the best computer to buy? The one that comes out the day after you bought yours.

I want to read books and maybe some Newspapers. As long as the Kindle does that for me, I don't care what model number it has to be honest. I tend to hang on to my stuff until it dies. Hence my 6 year old Tivo ;D
I'm the same way. I've got one TV that's nine years old and another that's seven years old. I did buy a new DVD/VCR player because the VCR in the younger TV died ... I killed it my very own self.

So, yes, I won't be buying K2. K1 does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Atunah said:
I want to read books and maybe some Newspapers. As long as the Kindle does that for me, I don't care what model number it has to be honest. I tend to hang on to my stuff until it dies. Hence my 6 year old Tivo ;D
I am the same way with certain electronics. I had my first laptop for eight years before replacing it, my first mp3 for four years, and my tv is older than me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.