Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oh I loved the 'Odd' series!  I got hooked by the character's name being 'Odd'.  My friend introduced me as my only Koontz book was 'Sole Survivor'.  Though I should really go back and re-read them because I read them so fast with an impending library due date that I kinda forget parts.  How are you liking it?

Tris

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are four "Odd Thomas" titles, all available for Kindle. I've read all four, and quickly became enamored of Koontz's style. There's a hint of formula writing in the third and fourth installments, but not so much as to detract from the overall experiance.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I like Dean Koontz, read him sporadically...will look up the "Odd" series, thanks!  Oh, no, more Kindle expenditures...will have to put it on my wish list...

BTW, like the idea of putting the hard copy books on the Wish List and then buying the Kindle versions!  Great tip from somewhere else on the board....

Betsy

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really enjoying it so far.  I've always been a Koontz fan and have read quite a bit of his stuff.  I have not however read any of the Christopher Snow series yet though I think I have 2 in paperback.

·
Registered
731 Posts
  I've read them all as soon as they were released. I really liked the first one so I kept pre-ordering whenever Amazon kindly suggested that I do so. I have to agree with Teninx (is that gonna get me in trouble?), books three and four were a definite letdown. And Koontz is threatening three more in the series.
  I'd really like him to finish Frankenstein.

(I even have the graphic novel) :(

G

·
I am also a fan of Odd Thomas. I feel this is about the best thing Koontz has ever written. I enjoy reading about "Oddy". :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Some of koontz i love - others, not so much. I did read and enjoy the foist two Odd books (haven't read the second two - not my normal genre so i have to be in the right mood for it)...

Chrosterper Snow sounds familiar but can't think of the book titles he was in. Was he the one who couldn't handle sunlight?

·
Registered
366 Posts
TM said:
Some of koontz i love - others, not so much. I did read and enjoy the foist two Odd books (haven't read the second two - not my normal genre so i have to be in the right mood for it)...

Chrosterper Snow sounds familiar but can't think of the book titles he was in. Was he the one who couldn't handle sunlight?
Is that a Jersey accent I see in your typing? ;D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Marci said:
Which book is first in the series? Now I'm interested in reading these books.

Marci
Odd Thomas is first followed by Brother Odd, Forever Odd and Odd Hours.

I checked the novels out of the library, audio versions for DH - we both loved the series. We purchased the Graphic Novel. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
TM said:
Oh yeahhh, he rode around town on his bike, and had a friend with a house on the beach, right? I don't want to say anything that would give away something I shouldn't. I loved that book! Was that a Koontz book?

[Edit: I decided to go look at some fairly recently read DTBs I have and it is a DK book, called Fear Nothing. There are more titles w/Christopher Snow I can read?? Terrific!]

·
Registered
238 Posts
I read three of the four so far and love Oddy, too. But, I am also a huge Dean Koontz fan and like just about anything he's written. One of my favorites is The Taking - excellent, fast paced book. I am sure I can come up with more.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just finished Brother Odd. I have one left to read, not sure which. Good thing we can see samples first. That will save me bucks trying to figure out which letters of Grafton I've missed. I love Koontz's sense of humor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My mom's a huge Koontz fan, and seeing as she got me into Stephen King, I'm sure I'd probably like Koontz too. I have Odd Thomas at home...but...it's in DTV :(

G

·
I couldn't remember the order of books 2 and 3 so the way the links are posted it'

1 3
2 4

I hope that makes sense to you all.

I got 4 last night so I'll be ready to read it soon.

well if you already have it on a regular book, it wont hurt you to pick it up and read it.  :)

I like some of Koontz's books but not all.  I feel like in many of his books, he uses cookie cutter characters,  They are usually upper middle class/lower upper class people that have fire places drink fine wines, they are antique dealers or love antiques, and so on.

Odd Thomas is very different from all that.  Koontz has finally developed a character that I like.  One that is fully developed and not so 2 dimensional.

I feel the Odd Thomas series is his is his best work. It's the best of his that I have read so far anyway.  I have not read all of his books but I have rad a lot of them over the years.  (even before he got new hair :) )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.