Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Folks,

Some posts in the above discussion have been edited or deleted. We recognize that some members may arrive here with a history or even a "reputation" from other boards. But we ask that all members extend courtesy to each other. Members are welcome here as long they follow the Forum rules. If our forum rules are being violated, simply report the incident to a moderator and let us handle it. Thank you!

Betsy
Book Bazaar Moderator

·
Registered
33 Posts
Publishing rights?  On eBay?

Um, no.  Mainly because I can't think of a worthwhile publisher who would bother to poke any 'rights' being offered for sale on eBay with pointed stick.

Publishers don't *need* to look in odd places for material or rights.  They've all got slush piles that grow each and every day.  They've got people clamoring outside with more manuscripts.  They've even got writers who have sold books with them before hanging around in the outer offices, new manuscripts ready, waiting to pounce on unsuspecting editors.

So to sum up, any publishing rights offered on eBay would be worthless, and anyone who would buy publishing rights from an eBay auction is deluded and under the mistaken impression they're actually buying antique bowling pins.

Neither scenario promises much success.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Say i bought a title for a next to nothing price, let's say a hundred dollars or fifty dollars.

Could I sell that through the DTP? In a month you would have your investment back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I doubt you'd make a hundred dollars on something you bought from eBay. 

I offer this as a hypothetical only, but I'd be willing to bet anything you obtained in such a fashion would be, to put it mildly, garbage. 

But it's your money.  Be aware, however, that the transference of legal rights is a legal matter, not simply a transaction.  On eBay.

I shudder.  But it's your money and time. 

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of selling my work this way, I wouldn't be buying titles, I would be selling titles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Selling them to whom? 

As I said, publishers are NOT lurking eBay looking for the next John Grisham. 

And if you're not trying to sell to publishers, then why offer it at all?

Late Edit:  The thread title indicates you were talking about publishing rights.  If you're talking about selling *books* that you've written, that's a different scenario.  It's no more likely to lead to anything even remotely resembling success, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
emilydowns said:
I was thinking of selling my work this way, I wouldn't be buying titles, I would be selling titles.
To whom? Even the smallest of micropresses has a backlog of work to choose from; I don't know of a single reputable publisher who is lurking on eBay to snap up a new writer. What you might get instead is a lot of heartbreak when someone "buys" your work and rips you off.

Save yourself the hassle; if you don't want to attempt traditional publishing avenues there are a vast number of subsidy publishers out there who do very good--and legitimate--work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts