Kindle Forum banner

321 - 340 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
which lead me to this link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Nancy-Bilyeau-ebook/dp/B07HZ4C3K5/ref=pd_typ_k_rtpb_1_154606011_3/136-2789563-0621429?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0W9RBP7TE5A07P9J4NY7

same author, free for prime members, .99 for three more days. Even more interesting story premise.

"In eighteenth century London, porcelain is the most seductive of commodities; fortunes are made and lost upon it. Kings do battle with knights and knaves for possession of the finest pieces and the secrets of their manufacture.

For Genevieve Planché, an English-born descendant of Huguenot refugees, porcelain holds far less allure; she wants to be an artist, a painter of international repute, but nobody takes the idea of a female artist seriously in London. If only she could reach Venice."

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Thanks Koi for those. I'll check them out. Sure 1911 is historical, probably up to what is it, WWII? not sure. :-\

Trophywife007 said:
I just finished the first in the Rosalind Thorn series by Darcie Wilde... completely hooked and now have another author to hoard/save for vacation... whenever that arrives. The first two were available on OverDrive in my area.
I just finished the 3rd. Love them. I wish there was another, it will be a while though I think. First one was 2017, 2nd 2017 and the 3rd was end of 2019 and January 2020. Depending on what edition the publisher (Kensington) released.

·
Super Moderator
67,320 Posts
I think WWII is considered historical now ..... but that's a good question: what's the definition? WWII was before my time, but not my parents.

Thanks for the Bilyeau links, Koi -- both those look good. And one is in Prime so free for me. :)

The Rosalind Thorn one is already on my wish list ... at $11.99 it's a bit more than I want to spend and it doesn't appear to be in any of my libraries. :(

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
I was lucky to have access to all 3 at different libraries. No way would I pay that much. Can't believe Kensington is the ones with those prices, theirs are usually more "normal". For some reason, as soon as its historical mystery it costs a bunch more. Just like urban fantasy. They are still all genre fiction.

At least they should discount the first one, a nice sale. That would give some the chance to try the series out if they like it.

I prefer my historicals to be older, before 1900. But that is me. I want a 18* in front of the number. Especially with mysteries, I find them more insteresting without all the modern stuff for solving crimes and such things.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Atunah said:
I just finished the 3rd. Love them. I wish there was another, it will be a while though I think. First one was 2017, 2nd 2017 and the 3rd was end of 2019 and January 2020. Depending on what edition the publisher (Kensington) released.
I saw this on Amazon -- due out Nov. 24, 2020 8)

https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Compromised-Rosalind-Thorne-Mystery-ebook/dp/B085LTHVP8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G29R14OE8IB9&dchild=1&keywords=darcie+wilde&qid=1585928483&sprefix=darcie+wil%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-5

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
My twitchy fingers almost the pre-order  :eek:. Not for that price.

Thanks for that though. At least something to look forward to.

Unfortunately, reading the blurb, we probably won't be getting much of our Bow Street man. Or maybe we will.  ;D

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about who the "hero" would work out to be.

The price isn't so great but I'm hoping my OverDrive will add #3 & #4 to their collection.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Price is bad. I added the book to 2 of my libraries as a recommendation so we will see. Still some time to go, or is it. Considering what is going on, that might me the month we can look into starting some normalcy. Normalcy being something different by then. I have downloaded a lot more books to my kindles just in case. I own a lot, but that is only useful if they are actually on the device. 

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before. ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.

·
Super Moderator
67,320 Posts
I got notice this morning that I'm at the top of the queue for the latest St. Cyr ... it's now borrowed and on my kindle. :)

I have the first Lady Darby but haven't read it yet ... need to get on that! :eek:

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Atunah said:
Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before. ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.
It's not at my library and I currently have a healthy gift card balance. Therefore I decided I deserve a stay-at-home treat and just outright bought it at the exorbitant price. :D

I have become so apathetic about life in general lately that I haven't even been reading much. This should lift me out of that slump!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Finished the Lady Darby and loved it. It was a bit more low key I guess, but still so good. I been reading all the new releases of some of my favorite series of various genres it seems.

·
Super Moderator
67,320 Posts
I finished the latest St. Cyr a week or so ago; still working on the Lady Darby series and not yet caught up ... so I guess that's good for me. Hmmm ... I don't even have it on my master list but I'm sure I've read some. Will have to update! :D

Just came available at the Library: Death in Kew Gardens which features the cook Kat Holloway. Author is Jennifer Ashley -- probably heard about it here. I think it's listed as the "Below Stairs" mysteries. Completely enjoyable.

·
5,909 Posts
OK I really need to stop reading this thread.

I'm only on book 2 of the St Cyr series and I need to finish Sally Spencer's 'Inspector Sam Blackstone' series - I think I've read about three or four of the ten available so far. I have quite a few other series I need to finish too, so I should be avoiding any recommendations for other series.

Let me turn it around some. Not sure if I've recommended any of these before but:-

Ann Swinfen's Medieval Mysteries series that starts with 'The Bookseller's Tale'. She has other series but that's the only one of hers I've read and I really enjoyed it.  It's set in 14th century Oxford.

William Savage's 'Ashmole Foxe Mysteries', set in Georgian Norwich.

E.M. Powell's 'Stanton & Barling' series - murder mysteries set in 12th century England - only two books so far but I've enjoyed them.

I suspect everyone here has already read C.J. Sansom's excellent 'Shardlake' series, but if not, I heartily recommend it.

There. Lady Darby? Kat Holloway? Not even gonna look. Well, probably not. Maybe. Sigh.  ::)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just got a new release announcement from Jennifer Ashley that she's released the first of a new historical mystery series, set in Ancient Rome and featuring a former gladiator hero.

It's called Blood of the Gladiator and is under her Ashley Gardner pen name. Looks very interesting. Here's the link (sadly, not prettified since the link maker seems to be permanently broken).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C9MR2S/

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
I just got finished on her latest Captain Lacey, under her Ashley Gardner name. Loved it as I always do.

Not sure about reading that far back for historicals, but I really like her writing in all the genres she writes so I'll give it a shot.

She sure is prolific though. Now 3 historical mystery series going on at the same time by this author and still the paranormal romances, the HR, the contempo romances. Jennifer Ashley, Ashley Gardner, Allyson James. WHo knows if she got other names too.  ;D

·
Registered
921 Posts
worktolive said:
For those of you that are Prime members, I just noticed a the first book in a historical mystery series is included in the Prime lending library this month. It's called The Richmond Thief by Lisa Boero. Looks like the series is self-pubbed and in KU although I think there's only one book beyond this one.

I had to search back through several pages to find this post so I could thank Worktolive for the recommendation. I just finished The Richmond Thief and am getting ready to start the second one in the series, The Ranleigh Question. I liked the heroine very much and am hoping the author continues the series. Here's a link to the second installment:

https://www.amazon.com/Ranleigh-Question-Lady-Althea-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07BW2ZZWX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lisa+boero&link_code=qs&qid=1590439573&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

321 - 340 of 467 Posts