Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I've been watching for this first book in the new Deanna Rayborn series with protagonist Veronica Speedwell to go on sale. Today it is $2.99 - Victorian England. I grabbed it.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
crebel said:
I've been watching for this first book in the new Deanna Rayborn series with protagonist Veronica Speedwell to go on sale. Today it is $2.99 - Victorian England. I grabbed it.

Good catch! I enjoyed it . . . . . looking forward to the second . . . which, it appears, is also on sale for $5.99 just now.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Good catch! I enjoyed it . . . . . looking forward to the second . . . which, it appears, is also on sale for $5.99 just now.

Oh dear, I missed the second being on sale as well. I have remedied that oversight. Thanks, Ann!

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am reading "A perilous Undertaking" right now. Not very far in yet, I did like the first. Both characters are a bit eccentric.

Has anyone ever read a series by Joan Smith, the Berkeley Brigade? Don't think I have come across it before. This is the first which is 99 cents

The early ones were first published I think in the mid 90's and they are all now out with Belgrave House, hence the horrible covers. All their regency stuff has these bad covers. These are mysteries though. The first couple don't get super great reviews, but later ones do and there are 12 books out now.
I suppose I can just try the first, but wondering if anyone has read those.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Atunah said:
I am reading "A perilous Undertaking" right now. Not very far in yet, I did like the first. Both characters are a bit eccentric.

Has anyone ever read a series by Joan Smith, the Berkeley Brigade? Don't think I have come across it before. This is the first which is 99 cents

The early ones were first published I think in the mid 90's and they are all now out with Belgrave House, hence the horrible covers. All their regency stuff has these bad covers. These are mysteries though. The first couple don't get super great reviews, but later ones do and there are 12 books out now.
I suppose I can just try the first, but wondering if anyone has read those.
New to me. For 99 cents, though, it might be worth a try . . . . . reviews are a bit mixed though mostly positive.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
New to me. For 99 cents, though, it might be worth a try . . . . . reviews are a bit mixed though mostly positive.
That is what I am thinking. That is a very prolific author and after checking, I found I read one of her traditional regencies and I loved it. And that one was from 1977, so she's been writing for a long time.
I am just itching to find more HM series with lots of books out already. Cause once I get started on them and I like them, I read them pretty fast. ;D

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I checked out the Ashley Gardner Regency Mysteries after they were recommended in Atunah's original post. I'm not sure whether the first is permanently free or just currently free, but I picked it up today.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I enjoyed the Stephen Attebrook mystery series by Jason Vail. It's set in 13th century England.

Don't be put off by the rather (imo) poor covers. They're better than they look, but wouldn't appeal to people who like cozies, I suspect. :)

ETA: I'd love to find some new series as well, but I very much prefer medieval. Haven't found any Regency ones I enjoyed. Another pretty good medieval HM is The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen. I'd recommend The Servant of the Crown series by Denise Domning too. It's a short series, but an enjoyable read.

I don't see that they've been mentioned but I kind of assume that any Historical Mystery fan has read Ellis Peters' iconic Cadfael novels. :)

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance. I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles. There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories. I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta: Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters. The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
crebel said:
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance. I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles. There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories. I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta: Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters. The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .
Yes, the FictFact listing agrees with the order I first read them all (and would be chronological for the intertwined characters). I have no clue why the 2 books are listed separately as "Ezra Melamed" when he is in every book and the "detective" in all. Here is the FictFact order:

1. The Disappearing Dowry
2. The Ruby Spy Ring
3. Tempest in the Tea Room
3.5 The Doppleganger's Dance
4. Too Many Coins
4.5 General Well'ngone in Love

I'm not sure where the 3 different books listed on the series/author page at Amazon - The Moon Taker, The Vanisher Variations, and What's in a Flame - fit in the overall timeline. Didn't mean to frustrate anybody (I am now) by recommending a series from a few years ago I thought was interesting at the time. :(

More editing (I know, I should research first). I went to her website libiastaire.weebly.com and poked around a bit. There she lists the first 2 books of the FictFact list (Disappearing Dowry and Ruby Spy Ring) as the "prequel" novels followed by the Jewish Regency Series novels. Then there are few short stories thrown in that are listed at Amazon but not part of the series page. Clear as mud now? ;D

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in.  ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Atunah said:
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in. ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.
I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :eek: :eek: So many books ---- so little time! ;D

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :eek: :eek: So many books ---- so little time! ;D
No kidding. I have to make lists for the library books so I read them in order of when they expire, since my libraries have different checkout times. And I already have a few lined up like little soldiers that just came out or are about to com out next week. I just know, no matter what my slot is, they will all come up at once.

This book I am reading now I am keeping wifi off as its going to expire sometimes within 1 day. Could be 4 hours, could be 6. I don't know. I am probably going to finish it before, but I won't be happy if it goes poof like just before the climax of the crime solving. :p

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I finished " A perilous Undertaking" and I loved it.

now I am reading

Its the 4th in the Gaslight Mysteries. I really like this series, although its set a wee bit later than what I usually like reading.
I am trying to catch up with my library reads and I am trying to read series books a bit closer together this year than I did in the past. So I don't have a huge time between the books and can't remember anything.
So far so good, just started this one though. Only on 2nd chapter. Can't remember who recommended those, but I am glad I started them, even if I was worried because the main character is a midwife. That just didn't sound like anything I wanted to read about. But its much more than that. Thankfully. 8)
I think it might have been Ellen that mentioned them.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Atunah said:
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.
I blogged that sale a couple of days ago and yeah--that cover is weird. You can't make out what it is (although I think it's supposed to be a streetlight). Kinda dark and muddy. Well, that points to a mystery for sure! ;)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
here is what goodreads has listed as the paperback. The font is different too and placement, but I think the image is the same. I assume ;D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have the Victoria Thompson book from early on, certainly some years ago, so I went and looked to see what the cover was on the ebook then. There isn't one. If you use Go To Cover, you get to a title page, no cover.

21 - 40 of 466 Posts