Kindle Forum banner

401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Flogging the horse is where I get my kicks in 2020 I guess. I'll take what I can get.

I was gonna recommend it to my libraries, just to find out I already did it.  ;D

Lard I sure hope 2021 is going to be a better reading year for me. 2020 has been pathetic. I mean really bad.  :(

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Trophywife007 said:
In addition to her Lady Darby books, I also like Anna Lee Huber's "Verity Kent" series. It is set just after WW I.
I like these (Verity Kent series) too and they are usually available through scribd, so I don't have to pay early release prices on them :)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Wrexford and Sloane series: Number 4 came out in September and is currently only $2.99

And number 2 is only $1.99

·
5,885 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Wrexford and Sloane series: Number 4 came out in September and is currently only $2.99

And number 2 is only $1.99
Now, I have book 1 but haven't read it yet. Book 2 is also on sale in the UK. So, should I buy it and trust the fact that the series has been recommended here? Or should I wait till I've read book 1 for myself?

It's all your fault, you heartless bunch of enablers. :eek: ;D

*sigh*

·
Registered
917 Posts
Linjeakel said:
Now, I have book 1 but haven't read it yet. Book 2 is also on sale in the UK. So, should I buy it and trust the fact that the series has been recommended here? Or should I wait till I've read book 1 for myself?

*sigh*
I notice that #1 & 2 are available on Kindle Unlimited for free.

Thanks for the heads up, Ann.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Linjeakel said:

*sigh*
Do you like the St. Cyr series? Or the Lady Darby series? If so, you'll like this one. Buy the book. ;D

·
5,885 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Do you like the St. Cyr series? Or the Lady Darby series? If so, you'll like this one. Buy the book. ;D
Yes, ma'am!! ;D

Love the St Cyr series - I've managed to get some of them on sale but have had to pay the full price for others. I have the Lady Darby series on my 'want to read' list but they're a bit too expensive - the first one is £7.49 - over 10 US$ and some are more expensive still. None of these series are available at the library or on KU in the UK. :mad:

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
I am binge reading the St Cyr series now, filling in anything I haven't already bought on sale as I reach it, ignoring some of the exorbitant prices because I want to read them all NOW. Currently on #8, and have 4 more of the 15 titles-to-date to buy when I get to them.

Of course #16, What the Devil Knows, is due out April 6 - probably right about the time I will finish the first 15, and it is being released at $13.99. Sigh ...

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I have found most of the St. Cyr series is carried by my libraries ....... Also, Goodreads has a giveaway for #16. Paper book, but maybe worth entering?

·
5,885 Posts
I am binge reading the St Cyr series now, filling in anything I haven't already bought on sale as I reach it, ignoring some of the exorbitant prices because I want to read them all NOW. Currently on #8, and have 4 more of the 15 titles-to-date to buy when I get to them.

Of course #16, What the Devil Knows, is due out April 6 - probably right about the time I will finish the first 15, and it is being released at $13.99. Sigh ...
I'm in a similar position - #8 is my next book too. I have some of the remaining books, bought when on sale, but will have to pay full price for the rest. Books 15 & 16 are currently £10.99 - that's over US$15 so I'm hoping they'll come down a bit before I get there! o_O

They're not at the library here either and Goodreads giveaways are not available in the UK. :(

I am enjoying the series though - those of you who've read further, does it maintain the high standard?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I feel for those of you that can't get it through the library. But, rest assured, the books are All GOOD. So if you have to pick something to pay full price for now and then, these are good choices. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Alert! For those who like the Lady Hardcastle mysteries and do NOT have KU, the latest, #7 is available for $1.99 currently.

The Fatal Flying Affair

Not sure how long it'll stay on sale, of course.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I haven't read all the way through the thread -- but has anyone mentioned Brother Cadfael?
It's been a while since I read any of them (or saw any of the TV shows) but they're certainly 'history' & have mystery.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I haven't read all the way through the thread -- but has anyone mentioned Brother Cadfael?
It's been a while since I read any of them (or saw any of the TV shows) but they're certainly 'history' & have mystery.
I know I read a bunch of them in HS and college ... but that was when I wasn't nearly as good at keeping track of things. I remember I enjoyed them then ...

·
5,885 Posts
I don't recall ever reading any of them - if I did it was a long time ago - but I do remember watching and enjoying the TV series. Are the books better than the TV version?

401 - 420 of 422 Posts