Kindle Forum banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fogeydc said:
I haven't read all the way through the thread -- but has anyone mentioned Brother Cadfael?
It's been a while since I read any of them (or saw any of the TV shows) but they're certainly 'history' & have mystery.
I don't recall ever reading any of them - if I did it was a long time ago - but I do remember watching and enjoying the TV series. Are the books better than the TV version?
Sorry, it's been too long to remember what I thought about tv vs book!

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I haven't read all the way through the thread -- but has anyone mentioned Brother Cadfael?
It's been a while since I read any of them (or saw any of the TV shows) but they're certainly 'history' & have mystery.
I have tried to read them multiple times. I remember trying when I was in High School because I picked one up accidentally (Ellis Peters was right next to Elizabeth Peters and I was in a hurry). I have also purchased some for my Kindle in the past 12 years. But for some reason I can't get into them.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
The new Veronica Speedwell by Deanna Raybourn was released last week. I had shipping credits so I got the price down to about $6.00. I think it was pretty good. Not sure if it was full-price good, but I enjoyed it.
It is called An Unexpected Peril.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
The new Veronica Speedwell by Deanna Raybourn was released last week. I had shipping credits so I got the price down to about $6.00. I think it was pretty good. Not sure if it was full-price good, but I enjoyed it.
It is called An Unexpected Peril.

It's on hold at several of my libraries. :) (And here's a link to Amazon: An Unexpected Peril which I include because Andra's link took me to a 'page not found'.)

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
It's on hold at several of my libraries. :) (And here's a link to Amazon: An Unexpected Peril which I include because Andra's link took me to a 'page not found'.)
Oops - I thought I checked it. Hang on...
Fixed. I copied and pasted from a sticky notes app and it put some spaces in that I didn't notice.

And for a now topic - the new Lady Emily, The Dark Heart of Florence, is out today. I forgot about it since she typically publishes in November, but it was on my Kindle when I got up this morning. Let's see if I can do the link correctly the first time.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Thanks, Andra. I have it on a wish list already. It doesn't matter how much I love the Lady Emily series, I'm not paying $14.99 for a 271 page Kindle book. 😠

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Thanks, Andra. I have it on a wish list already. It doesn't matter how much I love the Lady Emily series, I'm not paying $14.99 for a 271 page Kindle book. 😠
I will pay full price for Lady Emily and Lady Darby and the St Cyr books - but not much else :)
I am trying to read it SLOWLY so I get my money's worth.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I quit posting in the sale and bargain thread because someone is just putting all the BookBub items in there and anything I post gets lost. I suspect in preparation for the new Lady Darby book (April 9 in case you forgot), the first book, The Anatomist's Wife, is on sale for $1.99.

·
5,901 Posts
I quit posting in the sale and bargain thread because someone is just putting all the BookBub items in there and anything I post gets lost. I suspect in preparation for the new Lady Darby book (April 9 in case you forgot), the first book, The Anatomist's Wife, is on sale for $1.99.
It's also on sale in the UK- so naturally, after all the recommendations here, I succumbed and bought it. I don't yet have a plan as to what I'll do if I like it and all the other books in the series are still full price. :confused:

Why oh why do I keep reading this thread when I KNOW this is going to keep happening?

·
5,901 Posts
Sorry - KBoards hung as I posted the above and I ended up with it posted twice. Can't see how to delete a post yet so I've just edited it.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Thanks, Andra .... yeah, the bargain and free threads have become pretty useless.

Linda, when you click the 3 dots to the right (where you would to edit), do you not have a 'delete' option?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
It's also on sale in the UK- so naturally, after all the recommendations here, I succumbed and bought it. I don't yet have a plan as to what I'll do if I like it and all the other books in the series are still full price. :confused:

Why oh why do I keep reading this thread when I KNOW this is going to keep happening?
Sorry - well not really. It's a really good series and they do go on sale from time to time. You just have to watch for them.

Ann, I can't delete my own post either. The only choices I get when I click the three dots are Edit and Report. Maybe you have more because you are a moderator? But that is kind of weird. You'd think you could delete your own posts...

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Ann, I can't delete my own post either. The only choices I get when I click the three dots are Edit and Report. Maybe you have more because you are a moderator? But that is kind of weird. You'd think you could delete your own posts...
That is weird ....

I am "technically" still a moderator. Mostly what I do any more, though, is just get rid of spammers. I'm not at all interested in getting in the middle of the arguments that periodically crop up in the WC. And everywhere else is pretty quiet. I just stay active to keep up with threads like this. :D

·
5,901 Posts
No, I can't delete either - the choices for me are "moderate images", "edit", "IP" and "report". I am still listed as a moderator though I haven't really been one since Harvey was still alive. But I see Ann is a 'super' moderator - maybe that's the difference.

I'm trying to remember if we could delete on the old system - I feel sure everyone could delete their own posts before?

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Yes .... in the old system a poster could definitely delete their own posts. UNLESS it was the first one in a thread. Only moderators could delete those.

Speaking of: I have no idea what they're doing with moderators. I formally resigned at least a year ago. But no one really acknowledged that. Betsy kind of just quit the board. Becca Mills is still listed as one but I haven't really seen her active since the switch to this new software in January. AND the 'dedicated' support person who's supposed to be doing the hand holding during the transition will be gone by the end of this month so the only support will be via a general pool of technicians or something. Not that I have any idea how to contact anyone.

Ah well. I figure I'll keep popping in here to discuss books with you all as long as the book corner is still here. :D

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
The newest Lady Fan mystery will be released mid April... 99 cents to buy and also available on Kindle Unlimited.

The Dagger Dance (Lady Fan Mystery Book 7) - Kindle edition by Bailey, Elizabeth. Romance Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I'm not quite clear on why I've not heard of these before. :D
I bought the first Lady Fan in February 2020. I don't know where I would have heard of them besides this thread, but I have gone back through posts around that time and am not finding any mentions.

I actually own them all which means I enjoyed the first one enough to purchase all of them since I don't have KU and didn't borrow them when we had the one-a-month prime borrows available.

Lady Fan is certainly a feminist of the times, there is good period detail, a little bit of romance, but the mystery is always the main thrust of the stories (and not always predictable for me - which is a good thing). Try them, you'll like them says the series enabler in me!

A little off topic, but I have rarely pre-ordered books ( I just put them on a pre-order wish list that I check most days and buy on release day). Because this pre-order is only .99 instead of her usual $4.99 (I think the first one is permanently .99), I was going to go ahead in case it releases at full price. Have we always had to have a credit card on file to pre-order even when we have a healthy gift card balance?

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
I bought the first Lady Fan in February 2020. I don't know where I would have heard of them besides this thread, but I have gone back through posts around that time and am not finding any mentions.

I actually own them all which means I enjoyed the first one enough to purchase all of them since I don't have KU and didn't borrow them when we had the one-a-month prime borrows available.

Lady Fan is certainly a feminist of the times, there is good period detail, a little bit of romance, but the mystery is always the main thrust of the stories (and not always predictable for me - which is a good thing). Try them, you'll like them says the series enabler in me!
As I'm currently in a short free KU phase -- offered after KOLL expired -- I have put the first one on the list .....

A little off topic, but I have rarely pre-ordered books ( I just put them on a pre-order wish list that I check most days and buy on release day). Because this pre-order is only .99 instead of her usual $4.99 (I think the first one is permanently .99), I was going to go ahead in case it releases at full price. Have we always had to have a credit card on file to pre-order even when we have a healthy gift card balance?
I think so ... because they don't actually bill you until it ships. And, conceivably, though your GC balance is full NOW, it could be empty then.

So .... yeah .... that sounds right to me. They will still use the GC balance to pay for it -- no worries about a 99¢ charge to your card -- but they want something on file.

421 - 440 of 461 Posts