·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits vs. eating meat?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I've been a vegetarian for 35+ years. It's been so long that I don't remember why I became a vegetarian.  ;D

It was probably more for ethical reasons than dietary. Whatever I'm doing, it must be OK, because my doctor tells me to keep on doing what I'm doing after my annual physical.

Mike

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
humuns are omnivores. Now I was a vegitarian for years and if it were not for my other half I still would be. the first comment is just to say attention is needed to get all the nutrients and fiber (easy) that you need. I believe it is better for environment (check out feed lots) and for me and you to be vegitarian. I know it is cheeper, that was my reasoning. Try for low impact and organic when you can afford and find.
sylvia

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My two daughters and my husband are now vegetarians.  My son, just home from college for the summer ,and I still eat meat.  Anyone want to offer me some advice on how to feed everyone and keep them happy?  As the chief cook, I am not happy......  it is hard to please everyone!  (Not so fond of cooking in the first place.)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
My two daughters and my husband are now vegetarians. My son, just home from college for the summer ,and I still eat meat. Anyone want to offer me some advice on how to feed everyone and keep them happy? As the chief cook, I am not happy...... it is hard to please everyone! (Not so fond of cooking in the first place.)
Let someone else take over the cooking and make them please you.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
fajitas  or some other meal where you fill your own plate. just makesure that things like beans and tortillas  are veggitarian. in my opinion carvnivores can eat vegies but veggies eating meat can become sick as the body has difficulty digesting. salad bar type meals can be fun.
have you seen the rice maker thread?
sylvia

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think there are any benefits (other than ethical ones) since human beings are omnivores by nature. Our bodies need the nutrients in meat. Vegetarians just eat substitutes to meat to get the same nutrients.

That said, I don't really like meat, and eat a lot of vegetarian meals.... But I'm also not a vegetarian. I still eat meat occasionally (I just disguise it a lot with other foods. Hah).

Carol Hanrahan said:
My two daughters and my husband are now vegetarians. My son, just home from college for the summer ,and I still eat meat. Anyone want to offer me some advice on how to feed everyone and keep them happy? As the chief cook, I am not happy...... it is hard to please everyone! (Not so fond of cooking in the first place.)
I know what that's like, but in reverse... I've tried cooking vegetarian meals, and the meat-eaters in my family weren't very happy... It's extremely hard to please everyone. Probably impossible.

TVP Mince (textured vegetable protein) is a good substitute for meat (and so easy to prepare - just add hot water - that you could serve it in addition to real meat). I find a lot of the meals you prepare yourself and just offer all the dishes on the table (like fajitas as ak rain suggested), go down well for both vegetarians and meat-eaters, since you can pick and choose.

Or, you could prepare a vegetarian main dishes, and have a side dish that has meat in it.

Or better yet, as Forster said, let someone else take over the cooking! Or at least come to some sort of agreement. I think that's only fair if someone is suddenly going to change their diet, since it doesn't affect just them (if they don't cook for themselves). They should be willing to make some effort, too. Even just the simplest things like taking the load off in the kitchen, or providing recipes to make it easier for you.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
fajitas - I like that idea!  I do make the crumbled meat substitute.  I think my main problem is that my repertoire of meals to prepare shrank dramatically, and since I don't like to cook much in the first place, learning a lot of new recipes just frustrated me.  Oh yeah, and you try getting a teenager to think up a meal and prepare it.  Mine would rather starve first - which is sometimes what they end up doing!
Ok, I won't complain anymore............  they are sweet girls, and their hearts are in the right place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Short answers to your question:

1) Health reason: Vegetarian foods tend to be healthier i.e., lower in calories, fat, and cholesterol.
2) Ethical reason: Compassion for animals and outrage at the horrible conditions at factory farms.
3) Environmental Concerns: Factory farms are big sources of pollution and Co2 emissions.
4) World Hunger:  Much of the earth's grain is fed to our food animals and not the starving people who need it.

I am a vegetarian and have been for 9 years.  I love it, it really works for me and I don't miss meat at all.  I just FEEL so much better.  I had a chronic back pain problem from on old horse back riding incident that has completely stopped since I switched.  That was an unintended benefit.  Apparently, there is a compound in meat that has been linked to inflammation but I can't remember what it's called.  I also NEVER get a sick stomach anymore, no heartburn ever, and I don't get zits anymore either.    ;D

I do have to respectfully disagree with the poster that said we NEED the nutrients in meat.  There are some beneficial things in meat but it is only one food group and there are so many other options out there to meet those needs. There is nothing in meat that you can't get elsewhere if you know where to look.  Soy as a protein, for example contains all 12 essential amino acids (whereas no meat does) and none of the harmful cholestorol which is only found in animal products.  Beans and legumes are also an excellent alternative protein source if you don't like soy. 

As with anything, balance is key and you must have a healthy, varied diet regardless of whether you eat meat or not.  I mean if you only ate wheat sprouts or only ate steak, than yeah.. that's probably a bad idea either way. lol 

·
Registered
257 Posts
raccemup said:
I do have to respectfully disagree with the poster that said we NEED the nutrients in meat. There are some beneficial things in meat but it is only one food group and there are so many other options out there to meet those needs. There is nothing in meat that you can't get elsewhere if you know where to look. Soy as a protein, for example contains all 12 essential amino acids (whereas no meat does) and none of the harmful cholestorol which is only found in animal products. Beans and legumes are also an excellent alternative protein source if you don't like soy.
But you just contradicted yourself. We *do* need the nutrients in meat.... It's just that you can also get them from other foods. Hence why I said vegetarians eat substitutes to meat. Either way, you still need those nutrients. Where you get 'em from is up to you :p

I know better than to argue with vegetarians, though... Those are arguments you can never win :D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always thought that vegetarians had to get some kind of shot because they were missing some nutirent that was in meat

·
Registered
159 Posts
Carol: When I had veggie friends, I used to do stir-fry (fry up the meat seperate from the veggies), loaded baked potatoes, tacos/fajitas, or sandwiches. Did a lot of half-and-half and mini-pizzas as well. Pretty much anything that can be assembled to preference. A lot of Italian works meatless as well -- lasagna, spaghetti, etc.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Chevauchee,
The stir-fry is a good suggestion, as well as the baked potato.  However, too much pasta and the pounds start appearing when I get on the scale, so I have to be careful!  good suggestions though.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I eat meat (ok I love meat) but I only have meat in one meal a day, normally lunch. My other meals are vegetarian. Why? Partly because I want to look hot in my wedding dress in  four months and veggies and fruit are better for you and tend to have fewer calories. Mostly because it is a great deal easier to make a huge salad for dinner then it is too turn on the grill or make something with meat in it.

For me, it is all about ease of preparation, calories, and health. I have chicken at lunch.

I don't have to eat meat but I do enjoy the taste of beef and chicken. (shrugs)

I was going to suggest the baked potato idea but someone beat me too it. Also, if your kids are serious you might want to pick them up a separate set of cookware so that they can cook their own meals in a meat free pan, skillet, whatever. I am not thinking of anything overly expensive, go to Target.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ProfCrash,
So far, they haven't complained about their food being prepared on cookware used for meat.  However, I don't think I'll bring it up as the kitchen isn't all that big, and where would I put another set of pans? 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts