Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.
Ending a two-day free day right about now. Highest I got was 144, I think. Had about 2,400 downloads. Pretty happy with that.
But wondering if anyone has come really close to top 100 and if they tried again and got over the hump?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
MJAWare said:
Good advice.

Used to be easy to hit the top 100, lots of us had done it. I was even in the top 100 paid, back when you got a good ranking once you went back to paid--but that was a long time ago =-)
:'( The good ol' days. I had a book in the top 200 paid ... once. Oh, Amazon. You give, you take away.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I guess there are some genres in which it's easier because there is less competition.
So far I've only done two unique promo days and both time I was shortly in the top 50.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!
Wasn't able to add a third free day in time. I have another free day set coming up, so perhaps I'll try that.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Lady_O said:
I guess there are some genres in which it's easier because there is less competition.
So far I've only done two unique promo days and both time I was shortly in the top 50.
They're talking in the whole Kindle store.
Yes, One of my books was, once upon a time.

Right now Deadly Memories written by Pam, one of our own KB'ers is in the top ten for the whole Kindle store free list.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I don't consider that it counts unless you're in the overall Top 100 and quite a few of us have done that even recently.  :)

ETA: I think A Kingdom's Cost hit #64 or something in Free when I ran it last month. I was a bit disappointed but it could have been worse. My feeling is that if you don't get at least in the Top 100 you will get pretty much nil bounce post-free. That didn't used to be the case but is now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Made it to #118 on a promo last May...it had peaked, so I didn't add another day. Best I;ve done since was #215. It is tougher now...same number of donwloads doesn't translate into as high a number.

·
Registered
440 Posts
On New Year's Day Raft People got to 119 before I went to sleep. I wish I would have extended it another day. If there's a next time, I will.

I do believe I got a bounce from that that lasted over a week. I can't say if the bounce came from Amazon or the fact it was listed in lots of places and the free days did seem to generate a handful of new reviews.

The free days give us an opportunity to go out and make announcements because it will be on a promo. But the lesson may be that we should be finding those opportunities all of the time.

It would be so sweet if we only had some sort of visitor stats on our Amazon page. Amazon has those stats, but I doubt they will ever share.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got to #1 in the Teen Literature group... was in top 100 overall with 3,000+ downloads. The thing that's weird for me was that it boosted Book 1 in the series (the freebie was for Book 2, "Winter Shock") - and here is a weird stat:

Book 1 "Veil Between Worlds" last summer would hit under 15,000 in ranking selling only 40 copies in a month.

Same book now has 158 sold this month, and ranking around 42,000

Sad. Disappointing!

Does anyone know why this is so different this year?

Thanks!

Sally

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sally Dubats said:
I got to #1 in the Teen Literature group... was in top 100 overall with 3,000+ downloads. The thing that's weird for me was that it boosted Book 1 in the series (the freebie was for Book 2, "Winter Shock") - and here is a weird stat:

Book 1 "Veil Between Worlds" last summer would hit under 15,000 in ranking selling only 40 copies in a month.

Same book now has 158 sold this month, and ranking around 42,000

Sad. Disappointing!

Does anyone know why this is so different this year?

Thanks!

Sally
Hey Sally!
Just a guess. But based on what everyone seems to be saying in this thread, I think it's totally possible (and likely) that you might have a lower ranking and higher sales this year than the previous year. The reason? There are more books in the store and the overall sales volume has increased substantially, especially with all the new kindles on the market.

Of course, that's just an educated guess. I'm new at this. So if any of you veterans have a better answer, I know Sally and I are all ears. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts