Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The simple fact is that for books price under 2.99, it's better to distribute to B&N through Smashwords and make 60% opposed to making 40%. Does anyone do this. I've had some problems with B&N's record keeping when it comes to number of books sold so I don't like the idea of NOT having instant access to my account. Does anyone know how much access you would have to your numbers at the other sites through Smashwords?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
historicalromauthor said:
Does anyone know how much access you would have to your numbers at the other sites through Smashwords?
It's the same as with B&N. The sales seem to randomly show up in the Sales and Payment history a month or so after they occur.

From what I understand, they're working on improved reporting.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, it's really the only option for Canadians, same with Kobo. But the reporting isn't very good. Apple sales show up almost immediately on Smashwords, but B&N is really erratic. I'm with you, I wish I had some way to verify their numbers.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
my perception is that some publish direct to B&N as they do with amazon, while others use smashwords to distribute to B&N. i'm in the latter category and i've had almost no sales.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have! I've only sold two books on Barnes and Noble, though, so right now $1.22 is "Accrued Sales
(reported, not yet payable by retailer)". I'm not sure what that means, maybe it has to get up to $25 or $10 for B&N to pay Smashwords? That report was last updated June 19th.

Interestingly enough, my free titles have only been reported up to Feb 28th. I wonder why?? Maybe I haven't had any downloads since then. . .that'd be depressing, because I had more than 7,000 in the couple months before that.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I distribute to everywhere but Amazon through Smashwords and have been very happy with them.  I liked the higher royalty for my 99 cent books, and preferred not to muck around with different formats and platforms (plus, as a PC user, I couldn't get to Apple without SW).

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Paul Clayton said:
I think that probably most of the folks on this site publish to B&N via Smashwords. For me it seems to work pretty well.
I don't know that I would agree with this statement. For those who price below $2.99, yes, I'm sure there are many who let SW distribute. But many of us price at $2.99 or higher, so get a higher royalty rate direct through PubIt. Plus, we like the instantaneous nature of the reporting, the monthly payments, and the ability to amke all our own changes without having to wait weeks for SW to push those changes to the third-party distributor, then wait for the third-party distributor to make those changes.

I, for one, sort of do both. Currently, my book is priced at $2.99, so I've deactivated B&N as an option through SW, but when I was running a $1.99 sale, I let them distribute it. Both the SW and PubIt options were available on one listing, and some consumers chose to buy it through PubIt while some bought it through SW. (I got a higher royalty for the SW ones, though.)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
B&N -> Smashwords -> Author sales reporting is SLOW. You're best off just relying on receiving the relevant information every 3 months just before you're paid, and making guesstimates based on ranking on B&N for the rest of the time.

The numbers that come through seem pretty accurate to me - although not always allocated to the correct day. I keep an eye on rankings daily, I have a fair idea how many of each book are selling. Generally once numbers come through, the only surprises are pleasant ones. :)

emilyward said:
I have! I've only sold two books on Barnes and Noble, though, so right now $1.22 is "Accrued Sales
(reported, not yet payable by retailer)". I'm not sure what that means, maybe it has to get up to $25 or $10 for B&N to pay Smashwords? That report was last updated June 19th.
B&N only pay Smashwords once a month, maximum, and at least 30 days in arrears. But they report sales before they pay, where possible. Other retailers have similar setups, with varying lengths of time between reporting and payment. That's why we can have sales that have been reported, but are listed as not yet paid by the retailer.

Smashwords don't always immediately load sales reports from the retailers - it seems to depend on what else they're trying to get done and whether it's near payday. However, they've always had everything neat and tidy by the quarterly-payment date, and they usually pay a few days earlier than they guarantee to.

emilyward said:
Interestingly enough, my free titles have only been reported up to Feb 28th. I wonder why?? Maybe I haven't had any downloads since then. . .that'd be depressing, because I had more than 7,000 in the couple months before that.
Nah, B&N only report freebie downloads once every 3 months, if we're lucky. Those reports are lowest priority for both retailers and Smashwords, since no money needs to change hands. Fair enough, too, personally frustrating though it is! :)

Hope this helps. I know it's all quite confusing at first.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We upload directly to Pubit! and have had no problems. The reporting has had  a few glitches early on, but nothing major. We are selling a lot over there. It's been a very good experience, so will continue to upload direct and not use Smashwords for that. I do put our books in smashwords, but don't use them to distribute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts