Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda reminds me of when I started replacing my favorite cassettes with CD's.  This could get expensive.  ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Forster said:
Kinda reminds me of when I started replacing my favorite cassettes with CD's. This could get expensive. ;D
Absolutely! If they're on Kindle and it was a book I really liked I bought it for my Kindle. I gave my sister a Kindle last summer. She likes a lot of the same books I do. She's under my account and we have almost 700 books to share.

I never pay over $9.99. This morning I bought a book for a penny.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Once you get used to the Kindle it just seems to be too much work to read the DTB. I am slowly replacing mos of my collection with ebooks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been doing it with some of my favs. I would say 1/3 to 1/2 of my books on the Kindle are ones I had already read.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have bought my favorites for the Kindle. I have books that I just enjoy reading over and over. If I'm really tired and need to relax, I find re-reading my favorites helps relax me. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
intinst said:
Once you get used to the Kindle it just seems to be too much work to read the DTB.
That's what I'm finding, that and it's really nice to have all your books available at your fingertips. I had some misgivings prior to buying my kindle 2 as to whether I would like it or no as I'm quite attached to my DTBs (I have never sold a book I've bought). Now I question whether I will buy another DTB.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Probably more than I should. :)

One of the main reasons that I purchased a Kindle was to reduce the physical clutter in my home by eliminating hard copies of new book purchases.  With approximately 2,000 DTBs storage space has become an issue.  I've been replacing some books with Kindle versions; mostly with favorite authors / works.  Previously owned works acquired on Kindle is still a small percentage of the books I own but every little bit helps when reducing clutter.  

There are undoubtedly more series / authors I would repurchase if Amazon would acquire Kindle versions of their works.  Still waiting for tons of previously read / owned material to make it to Kindle.

- Walter...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Forster said:
Kinda reminds me of when I started replacing my favorite cassettes with CD's. This could get expensive. ;D
I agree - too expensive. I only have duplicates where the kindle version was free. But I have so much new material to read, that I haven't felt the need to re-visit the old favorites in a while, anyway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Shoot the first book I bought was the dtb I was currently reading. I think as I want to re-vist a fav. I will repurchase, but not til then. Re-reading books can be interesting especially in series where you pick things up you may not have noticed before. (And now with K its a lot easier to cross reference.)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have bought a few old favorites that happened to be on sale at the time.  I'm sure that I will buy more in the future, but, for now, I'm so busy finding and reading new material that I haven't been doing much rereading.  I'm trying not to buy anything until I'm ready to read it unless it's at a really great, temporary price.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here are some more answers on the topic :) http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,3556.0.html

As I said on that thread, I doubt I will replace my entire DTB library for Kindle but will probably buy a few of my favorite "comfort books" if/when they are available in Kindle format.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
WalterK said:
Probably more than I should. :)

One of the main reasons that I purchased a Kindle was to reduce the physical clutter in my home by eliminating hard copies of new book purchases. With approximately 2,000 DTBs storage space has become an issue. I've been replacing some books with Kindle versions; mostly with favorite authors / works. Previously owned works acquired on Kindle is still a small percentage of the books I own but every little bit helps when reducing clutter.

There are undoubtedly more series / authors I would repurchase if Amazon would acquire Kindle versions of their works. Still waiting for tons of previously read / owned material to make it to Kindle.

- Walter...
Exactly.

I'm a heavy re-reader. As much as I love reading new stuff, the plan is to replicate everything possible onto the Kindle and get rid of the paperback DTBs. Most of the hardcovers & a few others will stay, but my end goal is to get every single paperback out of the house. As I'm another one that has NEVER gotten rid of a book, this would be a challenge even if Amazon had all of them available!

Right now, I'm having trouble balancing new reads versus buying the old stuff I need to replicate. :D I'm trying to figure out a good balance between the two, and trying to pick up new stuff when it's free or discounted rather than at full price so I can shift the budget towards getting the whole darn library's worth onto the K2.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Most of the ones I want to re-buy for my kindle are not on kindle yet.  But those that are, I am limiting myself to purchasing occasionally just to keep my budget in order, besides there are so many new authors I have found that I want to get.

·
Registered
74 Posts
re-buying's not part of 'the evil master plan'; but i expect that i will eventually cave and re-buy 'the baroque cycle' and 'anathem', all by neal stephenson. because they're huge, and i have to recognize that the image i had of myself of sitting in the quiet living room, glass of wine in hand and giant book on my lap -- was pure fantasy. (i really have to cut down on tv.)

i can occasionally grab a living room evening; but in fact i mostly read while commuting. which is a 40-minute train ride followed by a 2-mile walk. the walk is what makes book largeness a problem. (pretty sure i've said this on another forum somewhere, too.)

anyway. no more of that!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Forster said:
Yup, I sure am. That way I can free up some room on my book shelves for ones I want to collect, like signed first editions. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'd like to add the twilight series to my Kindle but for all 4 it would be around 36 bucks.......and I'm just not ready to spend that much yet on books I already have sitting on my bookshelf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm finding it hard NOT to go re-buy the books I have on my shelf that are still unread.  It'd be nice if, in the future, we could buy a physical book and get an ecopy for free with it!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts