Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else on here went with a pen name for their erotic lit titles because they were embarrassed for family and friends to read them?! My erotic lit title just went live on Amazon, BN & Smashwords, and I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision by going with a pen name? I already have three fantasy fiction titles out, and I'm trying to create a fan base under my real name. I've put an excerpt in the back of my Erotic Lit title pointing readers to books under my real name, but do readers really read the blurb from the author....?

Here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Temptations-ebook/dp/B005D9SGZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311172095&sr=8-1

Killer Temptations Book Blurb:
Rae Lewis has been down on her luck since birth. Left to raise her four-year-old son on her own...even living in the Carver Housing Projects of Spanish Harlem, New York had become too much. Stuck in a dead end job with a pervert as her boss, there was no way things could get any worse. Sometimes being in the wrong place at the right time is all it takes for a person's luck to change.

Filthy rich blonds didn't stumble into downtown Manhattan convenience stores on a daily basis. Hurt and in pain, Vana Valentino could only offer to help after Rae went out of her way to get her home safely. There was only one question she needed to answer…

"Would you let some stupid prick beat the hell out of you for five thousand dollars?"

A new life, a fresh start, and more money than she'd ever dreamed of was the reward, but it came with a price. In the S&M underground, Sex wasn't just sex when served with a closed fist punch and a few smacks to the face. Never in her life had she thought that she would sell herself for money, but barely a week in and a new offer was on the table. One that she couldn't refuse…

Five million dollars… For her life…

*Note* Just wanted to say a BIG thanks To Author Christine M. Butler for doing this cover for me, she is amazing!!!! You really to need check out her books!!!! www.moonlitdreams.org

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wouldn't be embarrassed but rather choose a pen name based on your genre.

If you're a horror writer and you want to write erotica, it would be best to have a pen name.  Mixing genres can confuse readers (and even piss them off if they end up buying a book they thought was something else).

Then again, writing erotica can be a whole different animal so to say - haha - not sure how I'd feel if my mother read something erotic that I had written!

But hey, on the plus side, it seems that erotica is a hot genre for ebooks, so I wish you luck... keep us posted on your sales.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
If I ever decide to write some erotica, I'll definitely go with a pen name like Thumper Hard or Jamaica Moan. My real name elicits visions of cabbage and dirty laundry. AND, there is no way in hell I'd want my mom or dad to come across my name on an erotica book on the internet. I wouldn't be ashamed to write the thing, but show them? No way.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vrabinec said:
If I ever decide to write some erotica, I'll definitely go with a pen name like Thumper Hard or Jamaica Moan. My real name elicits visions of cabbage and dirty laundry. AND, there is no way in hell I'd want my mom or dad to come across my name on an erotica book on the internet. I wouldn't be ashamed to write the thing, but show them? No way.
Jamaica Moan! LOVE IT! hahahahahahahaha And yea I wasn't ashamed to write it, I love love love the book, and even though I didn't write it thinking of a series at all, the first person that bought it reviewed it and requested a sequel, as did the girl that helped me edit it, so I've now outlined 3 more books to follow this one. My parents are Pastor's and so NO! I don't want them finding any erotic titles under my real name EVER! Guess I'm sticking with pen name, and yeah...i could see how readers could be confused if everything was under my real name. My trilogy is for older YA/Adult...don't want to scare the bejeebus out of anyone, expecting the same of Killer Temptations! LOL ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I chose this pen name for my non erotic titles, because my real name is so long and nobody can pronounce it. I get so tired talking to customer service and spelling it out-K for kite A for apple etc ! So I thought I would go with somehting easier. I am getting ready to release a full length novel sequel to my first novella.

I just released two erotic short stories and have only set them for free-so far ok -close to 1000 downloads for each story and getting ready to release a few more. I use a different pen name for erotica, because I ddin't want to confuse anyone. Not that my sales are anything to crow about so far-but just didn't want any confusion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use a pen name because of my day job, not my friends and family. Most of the people closest to me know what I write and it's up to them if they want to read it or not. I have another pen name for non erotica or romance titles I'm writing with a co-author, but our website does link to my Jessica Morse one. I wouldn't do that if we were writing for a YA audience.

So I have 2 pen names, though this one is just my first name and my husband's last name. An acquaintance recently emailed asking if this was me. She guessed from the name and my bio. I wasn't embarrassed because she's the one trolling the internet for dirty stories.  :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I write under a pen name because I live in a small town, and I didn't want people I've known my whole life picketing across my lawn because I write steamy books :) They still live in the stone ages here. It would make going to the grocery store very awkward.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have not, yet.  However, I have a half-thought-out, partially-written erotic thriller that I have been tempted to go back to.  I think if I did publish it, I would have to use a pen name.  I have too many other books under my real name, and I don't think I would want to mix genres that severely.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I went with a pen name because I don't want anyone to know I've written anything.  Haven't told friends or family and don't intend to - unless it ends up making me oodles of dosh.  Plus, I know that these days when you apply for jobs the first thing people do when they get your c.v. is Google the hell out of your name.  I wouldn't particularly want to have to answer questions about Kindle publishing or shoggoths in a job interview. 

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ended up going with a variant of my real name. Lynn Mixon, replacing my first name with my middle. It's not very secretive and I blatantly say who I am on my website.

The only reason I use it is because when I publish non erotic titles, I want to have some easy way for my readers to tell my romantic mysteries from my erotic romance. I actually went to my company's HR and got the green light in writing to be able to publish erotica, so I'm not worried on the job front. Everyone I care about knows I write spicy stuff, so I think I'm good. We'll see if I get picketers. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with a pen name for my new erotica story - I have only published one story.

I definitely want to keep this sort of writing separate from the writing I do under another name - I think quite a few people do that.

--edited. Self promotion only in the Book Bazaar, please. Thanks. Betsy, KB Moderator

·
Registered
169 Posts
*IF* I wrote erotica, which I'm not saying I do or don't ;) ... I would (maybe do) use a pen name 100%.

Here's why ... I also want to write YA. I want to write YA under my current Adult-romance pen name Aimee Laine. If that EVER got mixed up in the hands of a child, I would be mortally embarrassed. It'll be bad enough if they pick up one of my regular novels, but I have an idea on how to make sure there is a difference.

So your use of a pen name, IMO, is right on target.

:)
HTH!
Aimee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think you use a pen name for several reasons: introverted, professional distance, marketing, ease of pronunciation.

Sometimes though it is best to change your name. My friend Isaac changed his name from Isaac Hunt to Dick Cheney. His sister Imma fortunately married a fellow by the name of Jack Carr.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ThatGurlthatlife said:
I was just wondering if anyone else on here went with a pen name for their erotic lit titles because they were embarrassed for family and friends to read them?! My erotic lit title just went live on Amazon, BN & Smashwords, and I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision by going with a pen name? I already have three fantasy fiction titles out, and I'm trying to create a fan base under my real name. I've put an excerpt in the back of my Erotic Lit title pointing readers to books under my real name, but do readers really read the blurb from the author....?

I don't know if embarassed is the right word, but my site and books are about erectile dysfunction, testosterone, etc. So I've kept anonymous with a pen name to keep my sons from going to school and having someone tell them, "Hey, isn't your dad Dr. Erection?"

Someday I'll come out of the closet though... ;D

Here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Temptations-ebook/dp/B005D9SGZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311172095&sr=8-1

Killer Temptations Book Blurb:
Rae Lewis has been down on her luck since birth. Left to raise her four-year-old son on her own...even living in the Carver Housing Projects of Spanish Harlem, New York had become too much. Stuck in a dead end job with a pervert as her boss, there was no way things could get any worse. Sometimes being in the wrong place at the right time is all it takes for a person's luck to change.

Filthy rich blonds didn't stumble into downtown Manhattan convenience stores on a daily basis. Hurt and in pain, Vana Valentino could only offer to help after Rae went out of her way to get her home safely. There was only one question she needed to answer…

"Would you let some stupid prick beat the hell out of you for five thousand dollars?"

A new life, a fresh start, and more money than she'd ever dreamed of was the reward, but it came with a price. In the S&M underground, Sex wasn't just sex when served with a closed fist punch and a few smacks to the face. Never in her life had she thought that she would sell herself for money, but barely a week in and a new offer was on the table. One that she couldn't refuse…

Five million dollars… For her life…

*Note* Just wanted to say a BIG thanks To Author Christine M. Butler for doing this cover for me, she is amazing!!!! You really to need check out her books!!!! www.moonlitdreams.org

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tara Maya said:
I have two pen names. My own name is long and boring.
Tara Maya sounds like a pleasant name. It has a nice ring to it.

I haven't used a pen name yet, but I might in the future, depending on what I publish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts