Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobertJCrane said:
Huh. Never heard of this, which is sad cuz I'm a UCF Alumni. If I was still in Florida I'd totally go.
It's a great event. I think this is their third year doing it. I went when they first started it. It's been growing every year, and I got to meet lots of NYT authors there! This is definitely a great place for indie authors to attend to sell their books or meet other authors in the business.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Olivia Fuller said:
I am also a UCF alumni but didn't know about it. Looking into it now!

Since you have been to it before, what can you tell us about it? Is it a very busy event? Do you make decent sales?

Thanks for bringing this up!
I've been to the first two as a visitor, not a vendor. It's a very, very, small event compared to BEA or the RWA conventions, but there are still lots of indie and traditional publishers that attend. The event is FREE to attend! There are numerous author speakers throughout the event. After a speaker is finished, you have an opportunity to meet and greet them and even have them sign a book for you. Each year I've seen more and more attendees. Vendors are mostly small-imprint publishers (a few big ones), but there are also some indie authors there, too.

This is my first year going as a vendor. Tables are on the pricey side (about $300), but I think this is mostly due to the costs of getting the NYT authors, small # of vendors and sponsors, and the fact that it's being held in the UCF arena, which I imagine, costs a lot to rent out. I also wanted to take a chance on this and see how things go since there are many traditional publishers and authors that come. Lots of young people attend, so I am hoping that my books will appeal to them. There are also representatives from B&N that walk around speaking to some of the authors and attendees. The vendors I've seen there seem to make decent sales, but I don't know exact numbers. There were attendees walking around with newly-purchased books in their hands.

They have a big children's section that's usually sponsored by B&N where there are different events, book readings, and other things going on. The event is definitely family-friendly. I do not recall seeing any erotica publishers or authors there.

You can see the line-up of this year's authors here: http://education.ucf.edu/bookfest/authors.cfm
And the list of vendors here: http://education.ucf.edu/bookfest/vendors_list2013.cfm

I would say, overall, the event is more of a local Orlando thing, but they have managed to bring in lots of NYT authors for the past few years to speak and meet/greet attendees. At such a small event where you have lots of experienced/established authors, you better believe I was picking all their brains for information and advice!

Last year, I met both father and son, Michael and Daniel Palmer at the event (they were both speakers), and we had such an engaging and inspiring conversation about writing and publishing afterwards!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I just looked it up and it says it's $200 for an indie author booth. I did the math real quick and figured out that for me just to break even on the cost of my books and a booth, I'd have to sell 78 books... So if I attend this year I'll probably just be going as a visitor and not a vendor.

Still seems like a great event either way! :) Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Olivia Fuller said:
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I just looked it up and it says it's $200 for an indie author booth. I did the math real quick and figured out that for me just to break even on the cost of my books and a booth, I'd have to sell 78 books... So if I attend this year I'll probably just be going as a visitor and not a vendor.

Still seems like a great event either way! :) Thanks for bringing it up.
Yeah, I would highly advise going as a visitor first to see what it's like before committing to getting a vendor table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts