Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with indexing, random lockups and the like.  I have a K1 for almost a year and a half and have a 4 GB SD HC card in it.  I started having these problems about a month ago when I had put about 1000 books on it, taking up about 25% of the SD card.  I've had the card for about a year and no problems before this. I contacted Kindle tech support several times now.  First I was told to hard reset (had already done that) and then to delete all the index files.  Other than requiring that I leave it plugged in for nearly 5 days while it rebuild the indexes (if you don't keep it plugged in you're like to see a dead Kindle when you come back because this drains the battery).  Also no good.  I called back and after talking to several techs, going up the scale in knowledge, I got one who told me the high-capacity HD cards aren't supported.  News to me as I bought the thing from Amazon from the Kindle accessories store a year or so ago.  I realize they've learned more since then but this is the first I'd heard of this.  So I got a non-HC 4 GB card with the same results.

The problem with the indexing shows up when I'm on the home screen sorted by title.  It won't jump to the first several letters of the alphabet - e.g. I press C to jump to books with a titled starting with C and it always instead goes back to page 1.  If I press a letter later in the alphabet, say L, it works fine.  It's getting worse - at first I had problems with A-D and now E is also not working.  I assume at some point I will lose this ability altogether.  I have read here before that using cards bigger than 4 GB causes indexing problems but I am not doing that.  Anyone else out there having a similar issue and if so, how did you solve it?

Also, I learned the hard way when attempting to back up the SD card through the Kindle interface that it will freeze after 100 or so files at a time.  Kindle t/s suggested I get an SD card reader instead to do that, which did work.  But this doesn't solve my problem with the indexing and freezing and my SD card.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just talked to Kinde support on the phone, I was having trouble viewing the content manager and my home screen was freezing up showing no content.  They had me reformat my sd card, saying that there must some corrupted files on it.  The good news is, that completely solved the problem, but the bad news is that I will have to redownload all of the content I had on that card.  Saving the files to a folder on the computer is not an option as you will just save the corrupted files and reinstall them.  To bad Amazon doesn't allow batch installations.  Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts