Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend introduced our family to an online "test your knowledge" English vocabulary game called Free Rice. For every correct answer, the UN World Food Program donates 20 grains of race to end hunger. When we first used it, I only noticed the Vocabulary game and I booked marked it on our Mozilla toolbar, using it on a daily basis. Today I noticed they also have various subjects (under Subjects on toolbar) to test your knowledge and donate rice, such as Paintings, Chemistry, English Grammar, Geography, Language Learning (French-German-Italian-Spanish), and Math.

The site is located at http://www.freerice.com and is totally legit. There's plenty of info about it on the Free Rice home page and it also is reported as legit on Snopes site at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp.

I have no personal affiliation with Free Rice, but I thought I'd pass it on because avid readers often thirst for knowledge. I've found the vocab game has increased my knowledge of words since it has levels of difficulty. If you miss a word, it corrects you and then if you keep going it will give you that missed word again so you can be retested. It's super easy to rack up thousands of grains of rice, but actually it's kind of fun.....or am I a nerd? ::)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't aware there were subjects other than vocabulary until today.  Is that new or was I blind?  I like the Art (Famous Paintings) section, too.  I'll go for everything except Chemistry and Math!

I forgot to mention that the "friend" who introduced us to the site did so when one of our teens was preparing to take the SAT test.  Since the game was fun, it was a great way to get her to study.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'll go check it out, I really could use help with grammer and just think as I improve it will help me and others!  ;D :D

Thanks for posting this!

theresam

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be nerdy, but since I have it on my Mozilla toolbar with all my other daily favorites, I click on it at least once a day.  In the vocab section, it's amazing how many words you can figure out based on word roots, etc.  I wish I could win $$$ money $$$ online playing it, but I feel good knowing at least something is being donated  ;D

G

·
It was cool I got to 500 grains and quit.  I will admit to 'cheating'  i used a tab to link to an online dictionary.  :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
How fun, and helpful.  I just went to check it out and donated 700 grains of rice (no dictionary used).  Bookmarked it for future.  Thank you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vamp -- Ha ha, cheat all you want, we're donating grains of rice!   I'm glad some of you like it.  I use it at least once a day, sometimes several now that they have other subjects, and as a rule don't stop until I've donated 1,000 grains of rice.  Maybe I have Free Rice OCD.   ???

·
Registered
260 Posts
I visited freerice several months ago then the computer crashed and I no longer had it in my favorites. I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder, I love the site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts