Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my favorite book series seem to be in the YA section lately. Maybe the authors are more daring, I dunno but I thought I'd share my faves!

Holly Black's series (all on Kindle BTW and a bargain!) are about fairies. No not tinkerbelle. These are the fairies and elves of folklore. They steal babies, kill people and are cold and calculating. Black sets her series in modern times with believable teens. This series doesn't 'talk down' to the teens. Its dark and brooding. A must for fairy/elf fans.

The Uglies series is a great Orwellian SciFi series. In the future when teens turn 15 they get free plastic surgery to make them pretty. Uglies are anyone under 15 who hasn't had the surgery yet. Once they get the surgery they don't have to work, unless they want to, and can party all the time. Sounds great right? Except of course there is a twist ;) Its a great series with an awesome empowering message that all teen girls should read in this Paris Hilton obsessed society.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Dori said:
Dori is embarassed to ask what is YA. Kindleabra doesn't know either.
YA = "Young Adult". A general category of books. Essentially teenager, give or take. It's not regular bestsellers and it's not children's chapter books. Something in between. Characters are usually teens. . . designed to appeal to teens. Does, in fact, frequently appeal to teen girls. Teen boys, if they read, read sci fi and fantasy in my experience.

Be not embarassed. . . . . .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ann Von Hagel said:
YA = "Young Adult". A general category of books. Essentially teenager, give or take. It's not regular bestsellers and it's not children's chapter books. Something in between. Characters are usually teens. . . designed to appeal to teens. Does, in fact, frequently appeal to teen girls. Teen boys, if they read, read sci fi and fantasy in my experience.

Be not embarassed. . . . . .
Actually a recent poll (ugh can't find the link now) said that more adults read the young adult books than teens do. While some are overly gushy and girly like The Gossip Girl series. Most are a little more mature than that. The most famous series is of course Twilight.

But my suggestions are also a great way to try the YA section. BTW if you are into scifi and urban fantasy alot of famous authors like Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker have published YA books.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I read all of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books.  In fact,  I bought the last two from the Book of the Month club, which means a lot of not YA readers were reading them (I would think).

Maybe it's that YA books are easy to read, and if you're not in the mood for, say, a Laurell K. Hamilton type novel, there's absolutely no chance you'll run into something like that.  Also, it's good to be able to look at their problems and think, "Well, at least I'll never have to be a junior in high school again."

I also read all of the Meg Cabot princess books.  But I have found that Meg Cabot's adult books and Meg Cabot's YA books are a lot alike.  Which is not a bad thing.

~robin

·
Registered
273 Posts
James Patterson has the Maximum Ride series, Angie Sage has the Septimus Heap series, Ted Dekker's Lost Books are a few of the YA books that I have read or am reading. These just jumped to mind. Oh yes, Brian Jaques' Redwall however only one is for Kindle. I read quite a bit of YA but more adult.

B

·
0 Posts
We own a fair amount of both YA and kiddie lit:

HP
Tiffany Aching
Chronicles of Prydain
Susan Cooper
John Christopher's Tripod series
Roald Dahl
The Phantom Tollbooth
Watership Down
Barry/Pearson's Peter Pan books
Lemony Snicket
Witchchild/Sorceress
Anne of Green Gables series
Narnia
Little House
Madelaine L'Engle
et cetera, et cetera, et cetera

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ScottBooks said:
and here I thought Harry Potter was more famous than Twilight. ;)
HP isn't a YA book. Its under juvenile fiction.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bacardi Jim said:
Exsqueeze me?
Nope its in the juvenile section. Young Adult is a different section.

I love HP.

B

·
0 Posts
chobitz said:
HP isn't a YA book. Its under juvenile fiction.
The books are written for youngsters the same age as Harry. The books become more sophisticated as Harry grows up. Given that he's seventeen when the series ends, I'd say the last few books definitely qualify as "YA" fiction.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ScottBooks said:
It's shelved in teen fiction at B&N and Borders. Maybe you should let them know?
Odd the bookstores I go to including my local B&N has it in the juvenile section along with the Narnia and Golden Compass series.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts