Kindle Forum banner

Anyone else submitting for the ABNA?

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  HeidiHall 
TexasGirl said:
I entered as a way to get exposure. No downside to that element. The likelihood of winning seems low for me, but to advance is another line item on the sales page.
^^This.

I entered the 1st two episodes of GAMELAND as one book into the SciFi/Fantasy/Horror cat. The pitch:

Six young hackers. One powerfully addictive computer game. Ten thousand Infected Undead.

When Zpocalypto gamer Jessica Daniels and her gang of code jackers decide to break into Long Island's Gameland, hoping simply to catch a glimpse of the mythical walkers of a decades-old outbreak, they risk more than early conscription into Life Service, a civil commitment normally fulfilled after death. Just attempting to get past the barriers - the wall surrounding the island, the EM field, the mined East River - could get them killed.

That's where Jake Esposito comes in. He has the equipment and the skills needed to get them there. But, as an outsider, can he be trusted? Shortly after arriving onto the island's outer forbidden zone, the dangers the group recklessly dismissed become all too real. Excitement turns to dread. Dread yields to outright terror. Now, all they want to do is leave.

But if breaking into The Game was easy, getting back out is a killer.

"Deep Into the Game" is the first book in the hi-tech thriller series GAMELAND, an immense virtual reality arcade built in the center of an abandoned Long Island. It's here that the rich and privileged act out their violent fantasies, and where Operators use cybernetic links and sophisticated holographic setups to control their Undead Players, pitting them against one another in a high stakes - and highly entertaining - game of brutality, money and power.

Volunteering to become a Player is illegal, but for some, the allure of fame is a powerful drug. For others, it's their only chance to escape the tyranny of poverty.

But for at least one member of Jessie's group, breaking into The Game is a lot more personal: revenge.

ElHawk said:
Wait, I just read the rules more closely. Something that's been SP can be entered, eh? Maybe I'll enter Baptism for the Dead into General Fiction. Hmmmm!
Self-pubs are okay. You just can't shop the book around to publishers or agents. My sub is a SP.

David Kazzie said:
This isn't entirely accurate -- the rules say your book is eligible if you hold the worldwide distribution rights and it's not currently or previously been subject to a publishing agreement. It doesn't say you can't shop it to publishers or agents.
Correct. My bad. The actual verbiage:
6. MANUSCRIPT SHOPPING. Manuscripts submitted as Entries to the Contest cannot be actively shopped by agents during the contest period, which runs from January 14, 2013 to June 15, 2013.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.