Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't watched the adaptation of The Lightning Thief because I've heard such terrible things about it, and I really enjoyed the book so I don't want to spoil it. I'm just really surprised that there's now a Sea of Monsters film, especially since Logan Lerman is now 21, and Percy Jackson is 13 in Sea of Monsters I think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was the other way around, saw the movie and then read the book.

I was surprised that a sequel was being made. With so many other trilogies having the first film out and then
never being seen again.

I must re watch the lightning thief again and re-assess

·
Registered
995 Posts
They had to make a sequel.  Sean Bean hasn't died yet.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I hadn't heard that. It is surprising. I wonder what made them decide to go through with it. From what I remember, it didn't bring in all that much.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
In the movie I think Percy was 16 so really, they could get away with saying and making a 21 year old look 17 or 18, they do it all the time in Hollywood!

As for the sequel, I am surprised too. The first movie was soooo different from the books it wasn't even funny. The series is fantastic, the movie, not so much.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The first movie was OK. I think it struggled because it was not Harry Potter and many people expected it to be more Harry Potter like. While the Percy Jackson Series is popular, it is not to the levels of Potter and I think that caused problems for it at the theatre.

It was not a bad movie, it wasn't totally faithful to the book but it wasn't offensive. I'll watch the second when it comes out on DVD, just like I did with the first and pretty much all of the Potter movies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll read the reviews of the film and see if they're any good and if so I think I'll watch them both. I still can't bear the thought of watching The Golden Compass though as His Dark Materials is on of my favourite stories of all time and I've heard they really ruined it :(

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Personally, although I've neither read the books nor seen the movie, I am no longer surprised when Hollywood makes a sequel to any movie. They're almost as hooked on the series syndrome as authors/publishers are. ;)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Joseph_Evans said:
I'll read the reviews of the film and see if they're any good and if so I think I'll watch them both. I still can't bear the thought of watching The Golden Compass though as His Dark Materials is on of my favourite stories of all time and I've heard they really ruined it :(
Nothing can be worse than what they did to The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Now that was painfully bad. Thank god I watched it on an airplane and not in a movie theatre. (shudders) Talk about destroying a good read.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I also disliked the Lightning Thief movie, but it made over $200,000,000 worldwide. That's all Hollywood seems to care about in making decisions about what movies to produce.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
MamaProfCrash said:
Now that was painfully bad. Thank god I watched it on an airplane and not in a movie theatre. (shudders) Talk about destroying a good read.
I know, right? It was like they purposefully set out to take something great and make it suck. I guess in a way that takes talent too.

you can get the omnibus of the whole series on Kindle now for cheap!

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
hs said:
I also disliked the Lightning Thief movie, but it made over $200,000,000 worldwide. That's all Hollywood seems to care about in making decisions about what movies to produce.
Aha -- now that is a lot closer to the truth. They'd never even consider making a sequel if the first movie hadn't grossed well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remember though if Hollywood didn't make the sequels/reboots/re-imaginings/same old crap then they wouldn't have the money to put into smaller outside the box efforts. It cost a lot of money to make a film (and while individual producers may foot some of the bill they certainly don't pay for things like advertising.) and the sure fire brain dead blockbusters are integral into getting the good stuff made, so I don't mind sequels, though I never saw this flick or read the book, but both are on my to do list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts