Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hmm, I'm surprised no one answered this yet, because I think the majority of authors on here have bought one of those ads. For me, it was successful, inasmuch as sales experienced a temporary peak for the day the book was featured (for me, it was about 5X normal sales). I think most people's experience with KB or any other type of paid ads is similar. It brings visibility to your book, and that almost always translates into sales for the duration of the ad. Whether it's actually a financial win depends on the book's price, how many people visit the site that day, etc.

--Maria

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
If so, did you see good results? Just curious! :)
I've heard (in similar threads) that you shouldn't go into it with the expectations of a number of sales. I believe they said something like, "If you're going to sponsor KB like that, then do it to show your support for KB because of all the great things that this site does for all of us. Any bonuses in sales... well, that's just the icing on the cake."

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
barbara elsborg said:
I'm a bit put off because I can only see part of the ad on my screen without adjusting it ! I'm lazy!!
You must have your browser zoomed in just a bit. Press CTRL - (minus) to zoom out a bit if you are on a PC. I've never had to scroll at all to see the ads on my PC (or my iPad. ;D)

Betsy

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have been thinking of buying one but I agree that the placement is not good.  It would really be better if there was a small redesign to cut the Hello banner in half, get rid of the date, logged in time and little color bar at the bottom and move the sponsor ad into that space.  That would allow the whole banner to be seen and still have room for more of a blurb.  By the way my banner says I have been logged in for 3 days when it's more then 3 months.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I have to say that I really don't like today's banner ad.

I thought it was an ad for Amazon that would list some of their top sellers under $3. Instead it's an ad for one book.

The banner doesn't make that clear, and it felt to me like a cheat to get me to click. Ads like that make me put the book on my "Never buy" list. :mad:

Back on topic:

I have purchased several banner and BOD ads.

I agree with:

Ryne Billings said:
I've heard (in similar threads) that you shouldn't go into it with the expectations of a number of sales. I believe they said something like, "If you're going to sponsor KB like that, then do it to show your support for KB because of all the great things that this site does for all of us. Any bonuses in sales... well, that's just the icing on the cake."
Plus, if you get one sale, and that buyer happens to like your book and give it a good review = Priceless! ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I agree with this also but for me I need to get at least a few sales. For instance my Volume 3 has had three sales this month but that was enough to move it to #55 in

> History > Americas > United States > Revolution & Founding (it's #87 at the moment).

Even half a dozen sales in one day might get it on the top page of that category and that might generate enough 'organic' sales that it would stay there for a while. I have done a lot of SEO for websites (my chromatography site comes first in Google results for a lot of good chromatography terms) and I know from experience how quickly the click rate on SERPs falls as you go from page 1 to page 2 and I have observed that there is a very similar exponential decay of sales on Amazon category lists. I was just trying to point out in my post above that that hello banner on the forum pages is some of the most valuable real estate on the page and putting the sponsor adv. in the right side of that space would give a large boost in clicks.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
barbara elsborg said:
I'm a bit put off because I can only see part of the ad on my screen without adjusting it ! I'm lazy!!
Library4Science said:
I have been thinking of buying one but I agree that the placement is not good. It would really be better if there was a small redesign to cut the Hello banner in half, get rid of the date, logged in time and little color bar at the bottom and move the sponsor ad into that space. That would allow the whole banner to be seen and still have room for more of a blurb. By the way my banner says I have been logged in for 3 days when it's more then 3 months.
I'm curious--those of you who say you can only see part of the banner, what are y'all viewing KindleBoards on? Which browser/computer combination? I've looked at it this morning on my iPad, on my desktop using Chrome, Firefox, and Opera and I could see all the banner, side to side and top to bottom. I'm checking my netbook and Explorer now.

The "logged in" time I believe means time actually spent with the site open on your computer, even if you stay logged in continuously as I have. I've been logged in almost continously since I joined in October 2008, but my "logged in" time is only :) 171 days.

Will check back after I've looked at my netbook.

Library4Science said:
I was just trying to point out in my post above that that hello banner on the forum pages is some of the most valuable real estate on the page and putting the sponsor adv. in the right side of that space would give a large boost in clicks.
I'll point out that we do have sponsor ads in the upper right hand corner of each forum page (various accessory makers, etc). The KB banner ads are separate from the sponsor ads and cost quite a bit less. You are, of course, welcome to contact Harvey about being a KB Sponsor. ;)

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Library4Science said:
I have been thinking of buying one but I agree that the placement is not good. It would really be better if there was a small redesign to cut the Hello banner in half, get rid of the date, logged in time and little color bar at the bottom and move the sponsor ad into that space. That would allow the whole banner to be seen and still have room for more of a blurb. By the way my banner says I have been logged in for 3 days when it's more then 3 months.
Well. . .you may have joined 3 months ago. . .the logged in time counts the actual time you've been actually logged into the board. It would be truly unusual if you'd been logged in for the whole 3 months. . .you'd basically have to have had your computer on and open to this site continuously all that time. :eek: (Though sometimes I feel like it's been that way for me. ::) )

FWIW. . . .I don't pay much attention to either the banner or KBBoD. . . .rarely click through either one. I definitely would NOT be in favor of removing the links at the top to make any advertising bigger! I like the quick access to Amazon, et al :) And you can make the "Hello" banner smaller by clicking the "-" at the right. It's completely separate from the header section.

I do, however, frequently click through when there's a link in a post/thread that I find interesting. Now, part of the BoD deal is that your Bazaar thread is temporarily stickied. If you have one. I'm more likely to click the KBBoD book if the Bazaar thread has an intriguing post in it on the day. If the author ignores their thread that day, or doesn't even have one to pin, I'm probably not looking.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Well. . .you may have joined 3 months ago. . .the logged in time counts the actual time you've been actually logged into the board. It would be truly unusual if you'd been logged in for the whole 3 months. . .you'd basically have to have had your computer on and open to this site continuously all that time. :eek: (Though sometimes I feel like it's been that way for me. ::) )
My logged in time shows 34 days, 18 hours and 54 minutes.

I know I restarted my computer yesterday, so it can't be quite as you describe. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am using firefox 4.01 with a 22W monitor and I am missing about 20% of the picture that is in the ad. I sell all the rest of the page correctly, or at least the left and right margins same the same on the rest of the page.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
L4S, try pressing "CTRL-minus" to shrink the screen a bit.  I suspect that you are not viewing at 100%.

Also, to clarify/combine what Ann and I both said about the logging in time.  Even if you have your options set up to be logged in continuously, the "Logged in" time only shows the time you've actually had the browser open and on KindleBoards.  And restarting the computer or logging out does not restart the clock--it's not "continuous" time on KindleBoards.  What Ann was saying was for L4S to have three months of logged in time, he would have had to leave his computer on all that time with KindleBoards open without turning it off.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
L4S, try pressing "CTRL-minus" to shrink the screen a bit. I suspect that you are not viewing at 100%.

Also, to clarify/combine what Ann and I both said about the logging in. Even if you have your options set up to be logged in continuously, the "Logged in" time only shows the time you've actually had the browser open and on KindleBoards. And restarting the computer or logging out does not restart the clock--it's not "continuous" time on KindleBoards. What Ann was saying was for L4S to have three months of logged in time, he would have had to leave his computer on all that time without turning it on.

Betsy
Then, why does mine say 34 days, 19 hours and 11 minutes?

My computer has NOT been on that long. :D Actually, it was turned off all last weekend while I went camping.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks Ann for the info about the sticky, that makes a big difference.  I think I may have got a couple sales from my Bazaar threads.  I have a link to my free book download page and I do see clicks through to in in my analytics. 

With regard to the logged in time my PC is pretty much continuously on (except when MS decides to reboot it in the middle of the night  :mad: ) and I have my browser open to KB also (but not necessarily with focus).  I am a tabaholic, right now I have 13 tabs open on my browser and 4 on my tab overflow bar  ;D.

I will be sponsoring some ads.  I just need to get my sales up to the point that an adv. boost will push some category ranks to where the books will get seen a little.  If your on page 5 of a minor category I don't think you will get seen at all.  I would really love to have access to Amazon's page analytics.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
RedAdept said:
I have to say that I really don't like today's banner ad.

I thought it was an ad for Amazon that would list some of their top sellers under $3. Instead it's an ad for one book.

The banner doesn't make that clear, and it felt to me like a cheat to get me to click. Ads like that make me put the book on my "Never buy" list. :mad:
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts