Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else does this, but do you ever go into a bookstore to get ideas on which books to get for your Kindle?  ???

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Definitely!  Plus whenever I see a book review or hear one mentioned on the radio or TV that interests me, I add it to a wish list or get a sample!

Betsy

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do the same as Betsy.  I carry a little notebook with me and write down the books I like and maybe a note or two about what the theme, etc.  ;)

I still buy Cookbooks and How To books at the brick and morter places so I stalk them for good buys.  But I do have to admit that I have cancelled all my memberships at them as the fees are no longer worth the price to me.  ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
ddarol said:
I do the same as Betsy. I carry a little notebook with me and write down the books I like and maybe a note or two about what the theme, etc. ;)

I still buy Cookbooks and How To books at the brick and morter places so I stalk them for good buys. But I do have to admit that I have cancelled all my memberships at them as the fees are no longer worth the price to me. ;D
But the discount you get with you membership at B&N is good at the Starbucks, too! ;)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Absolutely.  First of all, the ambiance of a bookstore is something I'm not willing to give up.  I browse the books.  If I find something that looks interesting I turn my K on and download a sample. 
I never walk out empty handed either.  Books for my kids, my grandkids, and sometimes there are bargain books that I will never be able to get as cheap on K. 
deb

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
intinst said:
But the discount you get with you membership at B&N is good at the Starbucks, too! ;)
Not to mention that I still love giving books as gifts!

Betsy

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I still have $18 left on a Barnes & Noble gift card, so I haven't abandoned bookstores entirely yet. :p

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I used to practically live at my local Waldenbooks, but I don't go there nearly as much anymore. I do like to go in and look at books to get ideas, but I live in a small town and the selection at the tiny little store is not all that good. I'm sure that I would more of this if our store was a little bigger. I actually get more book ideas from these boards than I do from anywhere else.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I pretty much never go to bookstores any more, but I didn't for a long time before my Kindle, either. Even though I live in a fairly large metro area, there aren't any stores convenient specifically to where I work or live, and I'm too lazy/tired/busy to go shopping in real stores much anymore. ;)

I mostly just browse through books and blogs online to get ideas. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always bring my Kindle wherever I go. I have to admit, I never take it out of my purse at the bookstore for fear that it may not be looked upon kindly by the staff since I'd be taking away any possible sale. Has anyone ever said anything to those that have?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I almost always take my K out and turn it on.  No one at any of the stores I frequent have mentioned anything to me. 
deb

·
Registered
131 Posts
My kids (ages 7 and 5) have acquired my love of libraries and bookstores, so I often take them to B&N, far more frequently I take them to the library.  And yes, I bring my Kindle.

One of my personal soothing things is to browse a quiet bookstore. 

Salt Lake is a great book-lover's city.  We have a huge City Library and a really nice County Library system.  We have the big chain bookstores and great places like 'The King's English.'

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Before I visit new cities I goggle book stores, craft stores and cross stitch shops.  I always find great new shops to explore.  Going to these places gets me into a part of the city I might not have otherwise wandered into.  And you get to meet the locals who always give great recommendations for local restaurants.
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I also subscribe to BookMarks: http://www.bookmarksmagazine.com/

Comes out every 2 months or so and has reviews of all different sorts of books. . .

Also available thru Amazon, but not yet for Kindle:

Ann

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have gone to Books a Million with my daughter when she won a gift card, but I just hang out here and I was looking at the Book Stacks blog...it looks like something I would like. Anyone here know anything about it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't go to the chain bookstores anymore, mainly because they all seem to have the same selections.  But I'm fortunate enough to live in Sonoma County (California), and we have a wonderful independent bookstore called Copperfield's.  They have 6 or 7 stores scattered throughout the county. Their selection is markedly different from the chains.  They do have the bestsellers, of course, but they also have tons of local authors, of course, and smaller publishers, etc.  It's a fun place to hang out.  The Santa Rosa store has a tiny cafe/coffee shop attached, also locally owned.  (They carry Oberon journals as well -- Oberon is also a local company here). 

Anyone living near or traveling to Sonoma County, do check out Copperfields. 

Kathie

PS:  this sounds like a shameless plug, but I have no connection with Copperfields  :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Surfmom66 said:
I always bring my Kindle wherever I go. I have to admit, I never take it out of my purse at the bookstore for fear that it may not be looked upon kindly by the staff since I'd be taking away any possible sale. Has anyone ever said anything to those that have?
No one's ever said anything to me in all the times I've had my Kindle out in a bookstore. I'd be really surprised if someone had a problem with it.

I rarely buy new DTBs to begin with because they're pretty expensive (considering my budget and how quickly I read, at least), so, if I buy a cheaper version of a book on my Kindle, I'm not "taking away" a sale of something that I wasn't going to purchase from the bookstore in the first place.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts