Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here was my bad marketing idea:
:p

As soon as I launched it (yesterday), I realized how stupid it is. A $80 investment (the prizes) and all I'll get are people who fabricate comments without actually reading the book. Like ShizzzYo. (Trust me, she didn't read it) I guess that's what I get for trying to bait makeup-loving teenagers on Twitter. Ack.

Oh well. It's still early, so I'll see how it goes...

Did anyone else have a marketing idea that was a complete and utter fail? I'd rather learn from your mistakes... not mine! (and I mean that in the nicest way possible! :-* )

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've had several since I started my indie/SP Journey, sad to say.

Business cards that weren't very business-like.
A really bad contest idea...
Making up a bunch of cheap ballpoint pens with my title and book's url on it, and semi-strategically
leaving them all over the building I work in.

Yeah, that was hella lame, and it didn't work either.  LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xandy3 said:
I've had several since I started my indie/SP Journey, sad to say.

Business cards that weren't very business-like.
A really bad contest idea...
Making up a bunch of cheap ballpoint pens with my title and book's url on it, and semi-strategically
leaving them all over the building I work in.

Yeah, that was hella lame, and it didn't work either. LOL
A really bad contest idea... you mean, like mine? ::)

I haven't been running my contest too long, but I would already advise people NOT to try a contest. You spend too much time promoting your contest when you SHOULD be spending that time promoting your books!

The ballpoint pens thing sounds really creative! Too bad it didn't work out...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I did the ballpoint pen thing, too, took them to a book festival and watched people stretch out a hand, swipe a pen, and leave without even glancing at the books. People are attracted to freebies - often it appears they detract from the product we're trying to promote.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Going to local bookstores, seeing the manager and giving them a copy of my book in hopes to have them stock it. Yeah, right.

*Disclaimer: That was about 10 years ago. I was younger and stupider.  ;D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's funny to read all the glorious crap people are writing about Aurora Abroad, though!  :D These chicks just want my prizes... they don't care about books! *derisive snort*

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
My worst marketing mistakes have probably been taking out expensive ads in popular print magazines to advertise my ebooks. In retrospect it seems so obvious that if I was trying to reach an audience attuned to new technology I'd advertise in ways targeted to them, via the internet. But at the time I still had a print mindset and wanted to see my ads in print magazines, even though the books themselves were only available in digital form.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I seriously thought about advertising in Romantic Times, but that would have cost hundreds of dollars and I wasn't sure all the RT readers had Kindles. And there's the fact that my book parodies romance, so I might have pissed off half of the readers who did have Kindles.

I have spent a lot of money on ebook advertising and I'm tired of it. I'm going to wait until my other two books are released and then push all four books together. Otherwise, I think it's a waste to push one book at a time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Most of the marketing ideas I've tried have failed and ended up costing me more money than I made. I hired someone to get my first paperback novel into bookshops back in 2003, but the publisher used POD and bookshops don't like taking POD books. I've paid for adverts in various magazines and online, none of which have helped very much. I've used promotional pens, magnets, business cards, postcards and posters. None of these have helped either. While they might work for some people, they did nothing for my sales.  :-\

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Not sure if you'd consider it BAD, but it was time-intensive. My blog caters to writers (I've only just stopped doing query and synopsis crits after tackling close to 200 of them over the past 1.5 years) and I offered to do an indepth crit of 5 pages of a WIP for any blog readers who bought both my books. I also asked that in order to help drive regular weekend sales, they purchase the books on a specific Thursday-Friday. A handful of them jumped the gun and bought before the targeted days. Then there was a glitch with Amazon and one of my books was no longer showing up in the search engines during the planned weekend campaign. So though the product page was there, no one could find it except through the link on my blog. I missed any opportunity of Amazon's internal marketing kicking in with my small sales push and wound up spending a lot of time critting pages.

The upside was that one of the crits was for the first half of a short story that I thought had a lot of potential. I asked to read the rest of it, offered some suggestions for a bit of a rewrite which the writer incorporated, and she sold it shortly afterward. So maybe the good karma will pay itself forward later on...

I also targeted a lot of tweets to the Game of Thrones and Camelot hashtags during the final episodes of the shows at the times they were playing in different countries, advertising Spoil of War as "the 99c cure for GoT and Camelot withdrawal." (I've upped the price since.) It really should have been great cross-over audiences. I got over 180 click-throughs on the Amazon Associates link I provided but no verified buys. So much for any impulse purchases at just 99c. Again, not a BAD marketing ploy, just an ineffective one.

Is anyone doing well with banner ads at all on any of the smaller sites that aren't Kindle Nation Daily?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phoenix Sullivan said:
I also targeted a lot of tweets to the Game of Thrones and Camelot hashtags during the final episodes of the shows at the times they were playing in different countries, advertising Spoil of War as "the 99c cure for GoT and Camelot withdrawal." (I've upped the price since.) It really should have been great cross-over audiences. I got over 180 click-throughs on the Amazon Associates link I provided but no verified buys. So much for any impulse purchases at just 99c. Again, not a BAD marketing ploy, just an ineffective one.
Well, it might work on ME just now! I was a huge Game of Thrones AND Camelot fan! *jotting your book title down for later*

:D

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Awww, thanks Karen :)

You might look for Sarah Woodbury's titles too. She's on KB a lot and has an Arthurian series. I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but they've gotten some excellent reviews...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Stapling bookmarks of my book onto condom wrappers.
o.0
You win the Internets today.

And as far as mine: How about raising the price of an indie novel by a dollar two days before the 'Big Deals' sale?

I feel like David Caruso.

B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts