Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything about them on boards, but I'm also lousy at searching the site.

Anyhow, here's an email an author friend of mine received recently:

"We connect award-winning indie authors with 10,000 libraries in the USA. Every week we email around 10,000 librarians recommending the best independently published books. As a book award winner you are a perfect fit for a feature in our newsletter."

Here's the link to their site:

http://librarybub.com/authors/

And here's the link to their "win a feature" giveaway for "best-selling" or "award-winning" authors here:

http://alinkarutkowska.com/giveaways/author-win-a-feature-with-librarybub/

G

·
Let's talk this through for a moment...

First, I have low expectations of any website that piggybacks off BookBub's name.

Alinka Rutkowska says that she is the founder of a site called Reader's Favorite Forum.

OK, cool. No issues so far.

If you go to her website, the award she has won, and that she uses to prove her "award winning author" status is from...

Reader's Favorite.

If we look at Reader's Favorite Awards, it is a company that exists for the sole purpose of being an awards mill. They also have a lovely fee-based review "express service".

Methinks there are significant credibility issues here.

I run the eFestival of Words awards.As a matter of avoiding conflicts of interest, anything published by Bards and Sages can't qualify. Because you don't award yourself an award. Legitimate competitions NEVER allow people associated with the competition to compete in the competition. The fact that a person associated with a contest mill promotes herself as an award-winning author by virtue of an award from the competition she is a part of should give anyone pause.

Here is a thread from Absolute Write where they discuss the contest http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?242605-Reviews-Contest-Readers-Favorite-LLC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Dears,

This is Alinka Rutkowska, I'm the founder of LibraryBub and I confirm everything GrandFenwick has written.

Julie, I will not respond to your opinions, as everybody is entitled to their own, I will however clarify one fact: I am the founder of the Readers' Favorite Forum for Authors, not the Readers' Favorite site itself.

I am an award-winning author and one of the organizations that gave me the honor is Readers' Favorite. I entered the contest like all the other winners. Then when I went to the Awards Ceremony in Miami, I met the organizer and was offered the opportunity to move one of my Facebook groups for award-winning authors to the Forum and that's what we did.

If you are an award-wining or best-selling author, I invite you to consider LibraryBub as one of the avenues of marketing your books.

Warmly,
Alinka

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Alinka, for coming on here and giving us a little more information. Your website looks really nice and seems like a good service for writers trying to get their books into libraries.

Seeing as it costs nothing to enter the giveaway, I can't see how trying it out would hurt.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I used their service but sadly I myself haven't seen any action following the newsletter that went out about my book (and some others, no doubt) a few weeks ago... no paperback sales at all and no emails from libraries requesting more information. I don't regret trying it out but I'm sort of underwhelmed about the results.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A few questions, please, Alinka:

10,000 librarian subscribers is quite a lot in a niche group, especially for a site that was only purchased in July. How can I be sure, for that hefty price tag, that the mailing list is truly as large as is claimed?

Other ad mail sites have very obvious and open ways we can determine validity of site claims. What assurances do you offer as to list size, open rate, whether the recipients are opted in or are spam-mailed, etc? We've seen other sites claim to reach X number of agents/publishers/producers/etal, only to discover that when mails were being sent at all, they were being sent from bought lists (or simply procured from listing sites).

An opted-in, curated list of 10K+ librarians truly interested in self- and small-pubbed books would seem to take a great deal of time and resources to build. If you've managed that, kudos! But again, how do we know?

Additionally, I see "clicks" and "interest" in the testimonials (which I take it, you supply to the authors?), but no reference to sales. Is there any way to quantify response in terms of sales? I do understand about budgeting and procurement issues and lag time between putting a title on the wish list and acquiring, which makes knowing the list is robust and curated even that much more important.

Also, wow, reading through the privacy and terms for the site. I did do a double-take at the bit about not even linking to the site for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Doesn't that make it a little tough to do peer-to-peer recommendations?

Overall, I see a lot of assurances built in for "you" (especially in those site use terms), but not a whole lot of nitty-gritty about what the author is assured for their $299 value. Can you elaborate?

Finally, to be honest, it's always a huge red flag for me when anyone offers marketing materials via the Warrior Forum. Can you put my fears to rest regarding your involvement there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dears,

This is Alinka Rutkowska, CEO of LibraryBub.

Thank you all for your interest in our service. You will see on our website (http://librarybub.com/authors-offer/) that most of our authors speak highly of our service, so I am very surprised to see Jen's reaction here, whom we did feature on Oct 15th and whose book "The Space in Between" received a very good response.

Currently we have over 17,000 librarians on our list (although we only advertise 10,000), thousands of whom view our newsletter every week. Every book receives hundreds of clicks to Amazon and our most popular titles receive sales in three digits.

Reports of our weekly campaigns prove those numbers and if you are a featured author you can request screenshots at any time. Of course it's easier to measure opens and clicks than sales, especially that in many cases authors will only see sales with a 6 week delay.

The terms of use are standard terms used in internet sales.

Now, let's do some math.

Let's say that a featured book received 300 clicks (a 200-500 range is normal and additionally librarians often look up their books in their library catalogues instead of Amazon so that number is in reality much higher). Let's say the author paid $149 for a feature. That gives a cost per click equal to: $0,50. That's an excellent investment considering that on average google adwords' cost per click is in the $1-$2 range (and your book was checked out many more times in library catalogues).

To answer Phoenix's final question, nothing is offered on Warrior Forum. I am an author just like you and I'm so happy to be able to offer indies an avenue to get their books into libraries.

We are currently running a giveaway, in which you can win the feature for free here: http://alinkarutkowska.com/giveaways/librarybub_dec/ and we are now offering the service at a 50% discount here: http://librarybub.com/authors-offer/

Authors beware - if you've written a best-selling or award-winning book you might receive an invitation to win a free feature.

To your success,
Alinka
P.S. If this thread gets updated and you do not see my response, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Today, I received the same email as others in this thread, and I am wondering, is there any updated information on the effectiveness of this program? It looks like a Pass to me, but I've been wrong before. Has anyone had any good luck with this site, as far as getting books into libraries?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to hear about this as well. For some reason, it's be hard getting the word out to libraries that Leonard Wibberley's classic satire is now available on ebooks.

If you can't get a classic ebook into libraries, I wonder how indies do it!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:

First, I have low expectations of any website that piggybacks off BookBub's name.

Alinka Rutkowska says that she is the founder of a site called Reader's Favorite Forum.

If you go to her website, the award she has won, and that she uses to prove her "award winning author" status is from...

Reader's Favorite.

If we look at Reader's Favorite Awards, it is a company that exists for the sole purpose of being an awards mill. They also have a lovely fee-based review "express service".

I run the eFestival of Words awards.As a matter of avoiding conflicts of interest, anything published by Bards and Sages can't qualify. Because you don't award yourself an award. Legitimate competitions NEVER allow people associated with the competition to compete in the competition. The fact that a person associated with a contest mill promotes herself as an award-winning author by virtue of an award from the competition she is a part of should give anyone pause.

Here is a thread from Absolute Write where they discuss the contest http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?242605-Reviews-Contest-Readers-Favorite-LLC
This in support of Readers Favorite Review site (I haven't heard of LibraryBub until now).

I did have a review for the orange covered book below from Reader's Favorite Review site. It was free. It did take over two months for the book to be reviewed from memory. They do state it takes 10 to 12 weeks. My review was referred to by the site as a 'standard' review. It was very fair and actually as reviews go it was a well put together effort. All in all, I did not pay for the review, and it was a decent enough review. So I do give the site a thumbs up.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I know this is an old thread but new topic to me, and I've some info to share. I first heard about this service in a Facebook forum (international authors). Since I've had trouble getting BB promos for nonfiction, and my books are nonfiction usually attractive to libraries, I submitted back on June 5 2018. You pay in advance, but the $$ is refunded if you are not accepted.

Looking back on this....based on what I know now....hmnnnn. Wonder just how many are NOT accepted.

My CAT FACTS encyclopedia book was accepted for a deal. The "deal" ran on August 9 with the announcement sent to libraries (they sent several press releases via newswire earlier in August). The only reason I saw the newswire releases was from google alerts on my name. I've not noticed a bump at all, so would love insight from others. I never saw the email sent to librarians. I did see the newswire release, and my nonfiction pet encyclopedia Cat Facts was included in a list of business books. Not very helpful, IMO.

Since then I've sent a couple of email notes asking to get a copy of the announcement sent out to libraries. I received an auto-responder from the first, saying the owner "Alinka" was on vacation and if a reply was needed immediately, to contact another person. I waited. Sent another note this morning, and still--nothing.

Instead, I keep getting notes to buy again--almost as if I have never purchased the service before.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:

Reader's Favorite.

Since this necrothread rose from the grave, I'll point out that the absolutewrite thread on this issue is not that impressive. Some people say Readers' Favorite is a scam or that they just want your money--without offering any evidence at all. (In other words, they're speculating, or perhaps they are just assuming that all contests and editorial reviews for indie authors must automatically be scams.) The people participating in the thread based on actual experience say they got reviews, though sometimes after a long delay, and that the reviews seemed honest. On the whole, not exactly damning criticism.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I agree with you that indie author contests typically don't sell books--I've entered several and never see a bump that I can identify with a particular award. I also agree that editorial reviews aren't that useful to indie authors unless they have a very specific plan to take advantage of them, as per one of your earlier posts. However, that's different than saying either one is a scam, as the thread you cited implies. Maybe neither is worth the money under most circumstances. That doesn't mean the contest isn't honestly run or that the reviews aren't honestly composed, which would be what would make either rise to the level of a scam as far as I'm concerned.

It's also worth noting that the allegation by one of the posters in the thread that everyone wins a gold award is demonstrably false; sometimes, I've entered and not won anything.

In the context of the original thread, I know you were responding in part to the possibility that Alina might have been associated with the contest she won, which doesn't appear to be the case. For the sake of newbies, I'm just clarifying that RF probably isn't a scam. It probably isn't worth the money to enter the contest, either, but that's a little bit different question.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.