Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. Do a search.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get the impression that this website is just trying to farm emails to sale to advertisers. The idea behind it is they will allow you to enter your email and then they will contact the publishers of the book, and try to get you the ebook for the price they listed on the website rather than the actual price.
Q: How to buy?

A: Three steps to get your desired book in cheapest price:
Step 1: Click "Join Free" button to leave your email address and the desired book to eBooksCheapest.com.
Step 2: eBooksCheapest.com collect all buying requests and negotiate the price with publishers.
Step 3: Send you the result and follow up instruction via email.

Q: How to contact ebookscheapest.com?

A: You may contact us by...
Here's a link to a discussion on the same/similar website: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,143987.0.html#.UUY2yFfxeOU

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
they had many of our books pirated on there, selling bootleg copies, but we shut them down via complaints to paypal.  They're still operating, just doing it on the sly.  If you sign up to receive notices, you will get an email a few days later telling you they negotiated with the publisher and you just send them the money and they'll email you the book.  They also mention if you don't get the book you can complain through paypal and get your money back, so they really are sending the books.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ellecasey said:
they had many of our books pirated on there, selling bootleg copies, but we shut them down via complaints to paypal. They're still operating, just doing it on the sly. If you sign up to receive notices, you will get an email a few days later telling you they negotiated with the publisher and you just send them the money and they'll email you the book. They also mention if you don't get the book you can complain through paypal and get your money back, so they really are sending the books.
Originally I thought it was a phishing scam - capturing payment data. Unfortunately if they are actually emailing books then pirating is core practice. Not at all cool.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you want to make sure they can't offer your books on there, or try to shut them down (no longer able to accept paypal), you can do your part by submitting a report to paypal. That got us halfway there.

Here's the info you need:

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding your copyrights and/or products. We appreciate your business and will make every effort to facilitate the handling of this matter.

Any person or business that requests PayPal to assist in asserting its copyright, patent, trademark, or any other work protected under federal law, must first complete PayPal's Infringement Report Form. The form is attached to this email or can be accessed at the following URL:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/InfringementRpt_full&locale.x=en_US.

The completed form with your signature can be submitted via email to [email protected] or by fax to: 1-402-537-5774.

Please keep in mind that once the submitted information is confirmed, the reported party's PayPal account may be placed in a limited status and may be unable to send or receive payments through the PayPal system. Therefore, we ask that you to consider this decision carefully before moving forward. Also, please note that generally only a copyright, patent or trademark holder, or those deriving rights through the holder, can rightfully claim a copyright infringement.

It is for this reason that PayPal encourages owners of intellectual property to contact the alleged infringer directly to attempt to resolve the dispute in this manner. It is also recommended that you contact your internet service provider (ISP) or hosting company to assist you in taking corrective measures against the infringer's website/s.
Once we have received the above requested information we will thoroughly review the mentioned website/s and/or auction/s and possible linked PayPal accounts and take further action as appropriate in this case.

If you have any further questions or need our support, please contact the PayPal Brand Risk Management Department at [email protected]
Sincerely,
Sofia
PayPal, Brand Risk Management
PayPal, an eBay Company

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just back from dropping kids off to school and a beach walk - head cleared :)
Earlier I followed a link from one of the writers on my facebook - she and the others have only just heard about this, and I hadn't. Jim, 99.999% of the time, I do search before I post, but I don't appreciate someone jumping on me with 'do a search' in the almost zero times that I forget to.

Thanks for the link JHall - very helpful.

Thanks for your info Elle - off to read the other thread!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts