Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the budget for my trilogy covers, from what I would call seasoned cover designers, or the premades I have looked at. Basically, that's 3 x ebook, paper, and hardcovers. That's quite a sum of money to go that route.

My genre is Post-apocalyptic - Dystopian.

If anyone has had a satisfactory experience with fiverr designers, please post a link or a searchable name for me to research further. Even a link to the cover they have designed for you would be helpful.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd be cautious with Fiverr. There's concern with licensing and AI use, which we've discussed here before. From what I've seen, sure it's $15, but many are advertising a stock photo with typography--something you can do easily for free on Canvas. I'll PM you a ones outside of Fiverr you can check out.

(as always with "Fiverr" it's kind of a misnomer to discuss them broadly because there are some good vendors I use there too; but many are cheap).

· Registered
48 Posts
The biggest problem with Fiverr is you have no idea who owns the copyright to whatever they use. Many years ago, my wife had a blog and posted a funny photo of a baby eating a watermelon... after a few months or so we got a legal notice in the mail... they were either going to take us to court or we could pay $400 to use the image.

The same could happen if you use a Fiverr cover... but the fines could be worse.

· Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The biggest problem with Fiverr is you have no idea who owns the copyright to whatever they use. Many years ago, my wife had a blog and posted a funny photo of a baby eating a watermelon... after a few months or so we got a legal notice in the mail... they were either going to take us to court or we could pay $400 to use the image.

The same could happen if you use a Fiverr cover... but the fines could be worse.
I have my own stock photos.

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm using Fiverr for a long time. For many things. Yes, some time what you get is not what you expect. But you will find really good artist there. About the Copyright, you could ask for that before you pay. Which means, this work you paid for it is belong to you.

· Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
876 Posts
I'm using Fiverr for a long time. For many things. Yes, some time what you get is not what you expect. But you will find really good artist there. About the Copyright, you could ask for that before you pay. Which means, this work you paid for it is belong to you.
Unless whoever owns the photo sells you the copyright, all you can get is the license to use the cover. It might not even cover use on merchandise so beware.

· Registered
50 Posts
Unless whoever owns the photo sells you the copyright, all you can get is the license to use the cover. It might not even cover use on merchandise so beware.
Yes! Correct. I missed this point. Thanks god I prefer drawing covers ^^. OK. Look, I have an idea. I saw before some Youtuber using "AI Art" sites to generate some High-Quality photos of human, animal, and monsters. The result was unbelievable. $30 for a month. Take a look at that. I think you will not be worried about the "copyright" or "license"!! It's you idea and what the AI will make is new with different style that you will not see it anywhere.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I recommend caution with "copyright" and "license" with AI. AI is not smart enough yet to create its own art. It grabs the images off the internet and combines it in "artistic" way. They are not copyrighted images. Therefore, you might run into legal challenges in the future over your created book covers. If you can be assured that character models you use are completely stock image free to use, then, maybe, you're safe. Without that guarantee, I'd be wary.

Images completely created by computers are actually not very palatable. They look like splashed colors. They wouldn't sell a dime (they could make interesting color backgrounds, possibly?).

Another thing to think about is the ethics over AI. Many cover artists are artists. Just like many writers are artists. Think of where you want to stand on this when we talk about AI generated books in five to ten years.

It already is a real big concern for audio book narration where the concern for copyright and license is not there. AI narration doesn't sit well with me.

· Registered
3 Posts
I don't have the budget for my trilogy covers, from what I would call seasoned cover designers, or the premades I have looked at. Basically, that's 3 x ebook, paper, and hardcovers. That's quite a sum of money to go that route.

My genre is Post-apocalyptic - Dystopian.

If anyone has had a satisfactory experience with fiverr designers, please post a link or a searchable name for me to research further. Even a link to the cover they have designed for you would be helpful.
What's your budget?

· Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for posting.

I've resolved at least the 1st book of the trilogy by using the services of someone who uses photoshop on fiverr rather than a book designer. I sent them 5 images I'd licensed which they put together exactly as per a mockup I sent them, then I constructed my own cover using Microsoft publisher, so I'm good with copyright. Basically, the cover has cost me $30. + $5 for the images as I bought a $100 package for 100 photos some years ago from depositphotos. Only have 12 images left of the package, so going to have to be careful in choosing images for the other 2 books.

Thanks once again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts