Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a screenplay writer recently and gave him a copy of The Truth About Dating.  He emailed me to say he was interested in talking about writing the screenplay for it.  Does anyone have suggestions for things I should think about when working with a screenplay writer? 

·
Registered
622 Posts
Credits, rewrites. option money, gross and net points...if they get a serious offer to you and put more than $1000 in your hand up front spend it on an entertainment attorney.  First book won;t command much cache but no sense signing it over without full knowledge.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is he thinking about charging you (as a translator would charge you to get a Spanish/German edition of your book ready) or is this about trying to get your book produced into a movie? If it's the first, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No charge. He's just thinking about making it into a movie.

dotx said:
Is he thinking about charging you (as a translator would charge you to get a Spanish/German edition of your book ready) or is this about trying to get your book produced into a movie? If it's the first, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Short version:

Take his interest for the YAY ME, MY BOOK ROCKS that it is, and move on.

Long version:

As someone who used to do screenplays and who still hangs with a bunch of really great screenwriters (Emmy nominated ones), I always wonder about the screenwriters who approach indie novelists. I'm not sure what motivates them.

The working screenwriters I know get their material one of two ways: stuff they are assigned and paid to write or their own ideas that they pitch as they meet people who might could build a package for them. They don't have time to adapt random books on spec.

Normally books are optioned by a producer who pitches the ideas and then hires a screenwriter only if underwriting starts to come through. Anyone else is just messing around. I can only guess this screenwriter who wants to adapt some stranger's book hasn't been hitting with his own pitches and wants to try do an adaptation on spec. Which is CRAZY. But hey, we're all crazy optimists, right?

Look him up on IMDB. If he doesn't have any legitimate creds, I would just pass. It could be a mess of misunderstanding and cause you more headache than anything if you sign a contract that you don't fully understand or have vetted. It's still a YAY, ME! without all the hassle. Movies are so rarely made, big ones OR indie ones. Even if the screenwriter knows some indie producers/directors, it's still such a long shot. But if your book broke out (like several here on KB), you might be unable to shop your film rights if you aren't careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts