Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep telling myself I'm going to start working less, so I can spend more time promoting. However, I end-up spending more and more time working. I am still managing to write, but that's about it.
Does anyone have someone to help them with marketing/promotional stuff? I'm wondering if there's someone out there who does stuff like that as a service for writers? Even just submitting review copies to blogs would be a big help for me.

Of course there's the whole matter of how much something like that would cost. But I figure, I better find out if anyone is doing it before I worry about how I'm going to pay them =-)

·
Registered
357 Posts
My gf and I split those chores up. She handles the reviewers, sites and most of the social media, and I do the advertising, promotion and blogging.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rejean said:
My gf and I split those chores up. She handles the reviewers, sites and most of the social media, and I do the advertising, promotion and blogging.
My gf and I used to do split the work for my current business. Now we are married and she works with me fulltime (while taking care of two kids)--be careful, be very careful!

Seriously, I figure in this economy a lot of us are in the same boat: either out of work, looking for extra cash. Or, working like a dog to keep up.

Someone who makes connections with reviewers would be a real asset. If I send my book in for a review, sure, it might get put in the, check-out later pile. But if someone a blogger knows and trusts (trust not to send crap) sends something, it's more likely to get looked at right away.

Bloggers, could get freebies, first scoop on news and first crack at raising new authors. Authors, could get someone who knows which bloggers will be interested in which ebooks, have interviews, guest posts, etc. all setup without all the guesswork we do now.

It seems like a win-win for the right person. There must be someone out there doing this already???

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
IMHO, you shouldn't limit yourself to certain kinds of tasks. The key is what tasks you can define easily and hand off reliably -- and which save you time. Which may mean that getting someone to do the yard work or the housekeeping is exactly what you need.

Marketing and promotion have the problem in that the major part is marketing YOU. That is natural interaction on the internet -- here and on your blog, etc. You can't outsource that, and for many that actually takes more time than other tasks. (But you can often find tasks within a larger one for an assistant to do.)

And the idea of having someone submit to reviewers whom the reviewers trust... that doesn't sound like an assistant. That sounds like a publicist. But that sounds like a great idea -- except that it will be expensive, and I don't know that it's easy to find out if a publicist does have a good relationship with reviewers. (On the other hand, just having a publicist, if she presents things professionally, is going to make people think you have something going for you.)

I have considered hiring a co-worker who needs the income as an assistant for various things, but I really don't have the money to justify it right now.

One thing I won't do is hire an intern. An intern is NOT a free employee. An intern is a very expensive employee who happens to be paid in your time rather than money. And not that's not a joke -- the whole point of an internship is education. An intern is supposed to be getting in depth guidance on a career. (Something like Tracy's mentorship program.)

Camille

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
daringnovelist said:
IMHO, you shouldn't limit yourself to certain kinds of tasks. The key is what tasks you can define easily and hand off reliably -- and which save you time. Which may mean that getting someone to do the yard work or the housekeeping is exactly what you need.

Marketing and promotion have the problem in that the major part is marketing YOU. That is natural interaction on the internet -- here and on your blog, etc. You can't outsource that, and for many that actually takes more time than other tasks. (But you can often find tasks within a larger one for an assistant to do.)

And the idea of having someone submit to reviewers whom the reviewers trust... that doesn't sound like an assistant. That sounds like a publicist. But that sounds like a great idea -- except that it will be expensive, and I don't know that it's easy to find out if a publicist does have a good relationship with reviewers. (On the other hand, just having a publicist, if she presents things professionally, is going to make people think you have something going for you.)

I have considered hiring a co-worker who needs the income as an assistant for various things, but I really don't have the money to justify it right now.

One thing I won't do is hire an intern. An intern is NOT a free employee. An intern is a very expensive employee who happens to be paid in your time rather than money. And not that's not a joke -- the whole point of an internship is education. An intern is supposed to be getting in depth guidance on a career. (Something like Tracy's mentorship program.)

Camille
Camille,
I think you are correct what I am really looking for is a publicist. If anyone knows of a good (low-cost) indie publicist, let me know. I think that would be key for someone to be an indie ebook publicist, they'd have to focus on a few things and so they could keeps their costs down--because as indies we are not making tons of cash. But just like there are low-cost editors and proofreaders we can afford, I think someone could do good as a (at least starting out) low-cost publicist.

I have a part-time publicist for my business; what they usually do, is start with low prices and, as you both grow, they gradually raise them or add on more services for an additional fee.

Also, turning over the "other things" is great advice. But, in my case, I've recently hired two new employees and can't afford any more, plus I need to get one of these two up to speed.

Anyway, like I said it's very sound advice. If anyone sees someone start-up a publicity service that caters to indies, do post!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts