Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found the answer on Goodreads and two days after sending the same question to them, they haven't replied. I know someone on KB will have tried this and perhaps succeeded.

My first book attracted friends and fans to my Goodreads author page. My second book came out this week and I'd like to connect with all of the people who rated the first, became friends and fans.

Other than sending each person an individual message via Goodreads' messaging system, which would be incredibly time-consuming, is there a way to do a mass mailing/mass message? I receive these from groups that I belong to on GR, but I wonder if only group admins have this ability.

Only a few people I've connected with on Goodreads follow my (very inactive) blog, so that method is out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
From what I understand, Goodreads members don't like to be marketed to. So sending a personal message to each is probably a good way to go.

I did this when my last book came out. I sent a message (basically cut-and-paste with a few amendments) to all those who gave my book a good review or 4+ stars, to let them know that they might also like my second book.
The response was excellent. Time consuming, yes, but personal messages are a nice touch and I really appreciated some of the friendly comments I got back.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you post an author blog on your GoodReads page, it should show up in all of your friend's and follower's feeds. If it's just a "Wow, I'm excited to announce my new book X is out" with some info, no one will accuse you of over-stepping your author-ly bounds. That author blog is your space, after all.

Quiss said:
From what I understand, Goodreads members don't like to be marketed to. So sending a personal message to each is probably a good way to go.

I did this when my last book came out. I sent a message (basically cut-and-paste with a few amendments) to all those who gave my book a good review or 4+ stars, to let them know that they might also like my second book.
The response was excellent. Time consuming, yes, but personal messages are a nice touch and I really appreciated some of the friendly comments I got back.
That might help although reviewers over there can be touchy about author contact (with good reason - a lot of acknowledgment from authors that you've read their book on that site comes with snark at reviewers, snipes about them on Twitter, and all kinds of drama. Doesn't matter that you're a good person who would never do that. The precedent has been set by badly behaving authors.)

I'm glad it worked out for Quiss and you're welcome to try it, but lots of GR Reviewers have said it makes them feel "creepy and weird" when authors contact them on GR, even if just to thank them for reviews. Since it's just a "New book! I has new book" message, it might go over fine, but just a heads up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've stopped following authors on Goodreads because they sent unsolicited messages. Don't do it. Personal or otherwise. The site is for finding and reviewing books, not marketing.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I sometimes post an announcement for a new book in one of the Goodreads groups I belong to, where it is allowed, but nothing more. You can get bad reviews if you overstep their boundaries, real or imagined.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I message my goodreads "friends" only, and then put an open invite on my page. That's it.

It's against their TOS to contact anyone outside your friends, if people report you (for messaging them because they reviewed your book, and they will because so many self-published authors do this) you can have your dashboard taken down and be banned. Comments in discussion groups are to be discussion related. It's a gathering for readers, not a promotion site for authors, and they weed out violators quickly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you "review" your books on GR, fans and reviewers will see it. Naturally, you don't review or star the book, just use it as a way to announce relevant information.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I quite like GR - made some friends along the way. As mentioned above, I often send personal messages and add to my blog. I've had no complaints. I think people would like to hear when a book is free etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just recently got some traction in Goodreads with reviews/comments.  I had a giveaway winner contact me personally to mention how much they enjoyed the book, etc., so I replied.  I also PM'd a non-friend giveaway winner, but after hearing about how taboo this is, I'm going to refrain from doing so from now on.

I'm learning to step back and let things develop more organically.  I need to adhere to the Prime Directive and not interfere, and know it takes time, effort, and some non-annoying marketing. ;)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Use your author blog and only your author blog to promote on GR, unless you are in a thread in a group specifically dedicated to author promotion.  Followers and friends can always opt out of seeing your posts on their wall, just like on Facebook.  The first thing you post on your author blog should be a link to your email list and an invitation for people to join if they'd like to receive announcements directly from you.  From then on, the only smart way to use GR is *as a reader*.  Review books you have read.  Talk about books you have read with other readers.  Make reader friends.  Interact as if you have no motive other than celebrating the act of reading.  Once you start to naturally make friends there by participating as a reader, those friends will notice that you have written books without your having to tell them.  If your books are good, the word will spread really quickly.

I've currently got about 90 ratings on GR for one of my novels, which for an unknown indie is really damn good.  I get read a lot by GR users, because I leave them alone unless it's to discuss my reading habits with them.  :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good advice. Several of the five-star reviewers (who then sent friend requests) mentioned that they can't wait for the next book to come out. My instinct would be to let them know, but now I see this is a big, tall, no-no.

If I understand your comments correctly, those friends and fans can discover that book via my blog feed on their pages. I didn't realize my blog posts show up on GR friends' pages the same way as on FB. So...hands off.

I'm pretty active in GR reader groups, and my guess is that's where the 144 ratings have come from.

With a new book, it's easy to get carried away promoting, but stepping on sensitive toes is never good. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

What I REALLY want is a list from Amazon of everyone who bought my first book! Since that only exists in magic wand-land, the next best thing would be for Amazon to notify people when a sequel to a book they've bought is published. I'll go quietly now  ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Along with blog posts, you can do a general status update.  Anyone following your status updates will see that.  I'd do a blog post and then follow up with a status update a few days later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts