Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When uploading my book to Amazon, the preview shows random paragraphs fully indented, while others are tabbed appropriately on only the first line.  Can't find an answer in the Smashwords guide.  The Word 2011 document shows no difference in the odd paragraphs, even with formatting showing.

Is there a fix for this?  I've been at it for hours and the computer is about to go out the window and into the lake where I hope some giant reptilian creature eats it for a late lunch.

Thanks,
ST

·
Registered
305 Posts
Try either saving your word doc as a HTML and uploading it to KDP that way or save it as HTML and run it through mobipocket. I use to have the same problems, but now I just go the HTML route and have zero problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It also might help to select al your text in Word, and then selecting the Normal style. From there, you can set the paragraph indent, and it should make everything the same in your entire file.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I noticed early on the Kindle automatically indents all paragraphs, and that if I fiddled with that any with my own formatting, it added a lot of complexities and potential problems to the mix. I imagine word processors which translate their own formatting to something supposedly suitable for the Kindle fiddle with that. Yikes!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug, I ran the search, but it didn't find any tabs, and I've gone through several times and sniped them out of paragraphs.

Rose, I'm looking around the Mobipocket website and it seems they don't have a Mac version.  Am I looking in the wrong place or is Mac OS just unsupported?  Would Calibre work?

Will, I tried that once, but I'll give it another shot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calibre fixed it.

I saved as .html when it looked right and the formatting was mostly clear.  Then I put it into Calibre.  Converted it from .html to .mobi.  Uploaded it to Amazon.  Checked the preview.  Looks good.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
438 Posts
southerntype said:
Calibre fixed it.

I saved as .html when it looked right and the formatting was mostly clear. Then I put it into Calibre. Converted it from .html to .mobi. Uploaded it to Amazon. Checked the preview. Looks good.

Thanks everybody!
I do this instead of just uploading the word doc. I find I get much better results this way!

·
Registered
88 Posts
southerntype said:
Calibre fixed it.

I saved as .html when it looked right and the formatting was mostly clear. Then I put it into Calibre. Converted it from .html to .mobi. Uploaded it to Amazon. Checked the preview. Looks good.

Thanks everybody!
Good luck on your book!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
southerntype said:
When uploading my book to Amazon, the preview shows random paragraphs fully indented, while others are tabbed appropriately on only the first line. Can't find an answer in the Smashwords guide. The Word 2011 document shows no difference in the odd paragraphs, even with formatting showing.

Is there a fix for this? I've been at it for hours and the computer is about to go out the window and into the lake where I hope some giant reptilian creature eats it for a late lunch.

Thanks,
ST
Good news. The problem is (probably) not with your formatting.

The previewer on KDP is notorious for stinking up the joint.

My book looked like death warmed over in the KDP previewer, and came out flawlessly.

Just follow the Smashwords style guide to the letter and you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts