Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
It looks like your account with Bowker was set up without a proper company name. You have "Your Company LLC" listed as the company. If you want to use an actual publisher name, you'll need to contact Bowker to get that corrected. The highlighted section is telling you exactly what KDP will expect to see as the imprint associated with your ISBNs. In my account, that Highlighted section indicates "Sleeping Cat Books" where yours shows "Your Company LLC" because that's the company name on my Bowker account.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
611 Posts
"Your Company LLC" is just the name i typed over my name to create this image.

The question is, why is Bowker telling you to NOT use a different imprint for KDP?
It isn't saying that. It says, if Amazon or KDP asks for your imprint name, you give them your company name. It' isn't saying not to use it.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
611 Posts
I can't help you with that. You should go to your Bowker account and see if there is a help email address. Obviously Amazon won't be any help.

·
Registered
841 Posts
But I don't want to use my company name on my books. I want to use my Bowker Imprint name.

Are Imprints not allowed if we publish on KDP?
Yes, you can. If you've created an imprint under your company in your Bowker account, you can assign that imprint to one of your ISBNs in your Bowker account and then use that imprint on KDP. But most indies don't have multiple imprints. The company name they create when they buy the ISBN is then what's associated with that ISBN. Bowker is trying to be helpful to these single-name publishers.

Here is what my Bowker account looks like. I can use my company name, or one of my imprints under it, on any of my ISBNs. But I have to assign the imprint to the ISBN in Bowker first before I can use that ISBN/imprint name combination on KDP:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Logo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you can. If you've created an imprint under your company...
Right. That's how things should work in a rational world.

But I emailed Bowker and asked them this question.

The Bowker chick wrote back:

"When KDP asks for your "imprint" they are referring to the publisher name associated to the ISBN.
To be clear, an imprint in our system refers to something different; At Bowker, a house imprint is another name used besides the company name to identify a line of books."

The Bowker website (and now this lady) seem to be insisting that the Imprint box in KDP is actually NOT an imprint box. But instead, it's a box to insert your Publisher Name. (Despite the fact that the box says "Imprint" next to it)

Hah.....

So something is very very very fishy at Bowker.

I'm going to try to get them on the phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts