Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Has anyone here made an embarrassing ebook mistake?

I just picked up a glitch in the formatting of the copies of my ebook that I've been sending out to reviewers. And though I've contacted almost all the people who've recieved copies (and offered them replacement files)... I can't shake the feeling that I've let myself down. ???

Does anyone else have stories of ebook mistakes? Y'know... the sort of facepalm moments that make you want to clonk your head on a door and go "Oh gee, why didn't I pick that up?"

I need to know that I'm not the only one who does things like this :D

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I think you'll be inundated with responses, because EVERYONE makes mistakes when they upload. That's the beauty of the digital age, we're able to make corrections easily!  ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I just did a complete correction of everything I knew about. Now as I start into the next book (same folks) I'm finding some mistakes in time frames that no one noticed. Our books will never be perfect.

Ann

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, I've just uploaded my book to Amazon Kindle Direct and then realised that I uploaded the version that says "Smashwords Edition" on the title page Ah!  Idiot!
And (as far as I know) I cant fix this until the *&%$ thing has finished "publishing".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone :)

It's nice to hear from others about things like this. Reassures me that I'm not the only one running into glitches like these. I can be a bit hard on myself.

P.A. Woodburn said:
I just did a complete correction of everything I knew about. Now as I start into the next book (same folks) I'm finding some mistakes in time frames that no one noticed. Our books will never be perfect.

Ann
I get the whole bit about books never being "perfect" :)
Can I ask what you mean about time frames though?

mashadutoit said:
Well, I've just uploaded my book to Amazon Kindle Direct and then realised that I uploaded the version that says "Smashwords Edition" on the title page Ah! Idiot!
And (as far as I know) I cant fix this until the *&%$ thing has finished "publishing".
I know! I wish there was a cancel button to prevent the whole 24+ hour lockout.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This weekend I uploaded a corrected copy of one of my 99 cent short stories.  Within minutes I realized I didn't go back and add the italics after nuking it.  ???  head-desk.  I fixed the copy, but must wait 2 to 3 days before I'll let me fix it.

I just hate it when I do something stupid.

83 Posts
Yep, in a non-fiction work I did about five years ago, I wrote the word "penis" for "pencil." Let's just say that made for some interesting emails.
I think it said something like, "when defining your goals you need to put penis to paper." Call it a Freudian slip, I guess. I had to resend a lot of pdf files with apologies.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, I accidentally deleted the final full stop of the novel. Remind me to do my editing at 150% in future.  ::)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Carmellitas_pen_has_power said:
Yep, in a non-fiction work I did about five years ago, I wrote the word "penis" for "pencil." Let's just say that made for some interesting emails.
I think it said something like, "when defining your goals you need to put penis to paper." Call it a Freudian slip, I guess. I had to resend a lot of pdf files with apologies.
Oh! I can imagine many startled readers ;D Also creates a rather unfortunate mental image.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you ask my family, my biggest embarrassment should be I wrote an erotica ebook.  Worse, I'm not ashamed.  What's wrong with me?  Where did they go wrong?

What does the wife think?  She says it's too tame.  ???  What a woman.  LOL

·
Registered
816 Posts
There's a typo in the paperback of one of my books that refers to Groucho Marx as 'Groucho Marks'. Might not seem like a big deal, but that kills me. Ah, those famous Marks Brothers. I fixed it for the Kindle edition.

Anyone else have the horrible paranoia that at some stage they've accidentally pasted something they shouldn't into the document? I picture someone sitting there and wondering why the phrase www.lovelyasianboobies.com is randomly in the middle of a paragraph. Each file probably gets a couple of extra passes because of that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In the first book of my series, the youngest sister is Sinead.

Second book, youngest sister was Siobhan.

Third book, I thought about it, did a search, had a heart attack, turned her back into Sinead, no one mentioned it.

It should be noted that my main character's middle name is Siobhan.  *sigh*

I'm sure there are lots and lots of grammar and spelling issues, but that one was the biggie for me.

I've been noticing how many mistakes there are these days in some of the big name authored books... so I just take a deep breath and put it in perspective.

Sheila

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah, count me in.  I had a bad one, a real blooper.  One reader spotted it and that's how I found out.  He was real nice and didn't make a big deal out of it, going on a campaign.  I can't imagine how this word found its way into my manuscript.  Perhaps it was using spell check in the middle of the night, while bleary eyed and attemting to meet a self-imposed deadline.  You get the prompt, 'replace with' and reflexively you click yes, and God knows what was just inserted into your manuscript somewhere, spelled correctly, of course.  Now you have to go back and re-read all 496 pages.  ARRRRGGHHHHH!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Millard said:
There's a typo in the paperback of one of my books that refers to Groucho Marx as 'Groucho Marks'. Might not seem like a big deal, but that kills me. Ah, those famous Marks Brothers. I fixed it for the Kindle edition.

Anyone else have the horrible paranoia that at some stage they've accidentally pasted something they shouldn't into the document? I picture someone sitting there and wondering why the phrase www.lovelyasianboobies.com is randomly in the middle of a paragraph. Each file probably gets a couple of extra passes because of that.
;D I dont know about the Asian Boobies, but I do have this fear too. I rears its head when I close my file and it asks me to save changes when I'm SURE I have not made any changes since the last save. Then I'm all frozen. Did I save? Or not? Did I delete a whole passage without knowing it? :eek:

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I don't make a big stink about what I find in indie books, but since 99% of them are KB members, I just quietly pm them the list of ooopsies, typos, name changes (sheila you are not the only one to have done this), missing spaces, added spaces, etc.

I usually save them up, send out 10 or so author pms in 1 day for the last batch of books... Now that I'm reviewing for RAR, I have to be careful and NOT send out the list before my review posts, or the author will know ahead of time that they have been reviewed, and will get all antsy about what rating they got.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the other stories :)

I am frustrated that I can't fully direct reviewers to download newer versions (I'm guessing a lot just won't get the message or remember to do so), but these stories give me perspective. Fix what you can, and what you can't... well, just get over it, right?  ;D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Haven't uploaded yet, but I'm in the editing phase for my first book, and found I wrote "horde-drawn carriage" rather than "horse-drawn carriage".  Honestly, the idea of a vehicle pulled by an angry mob sounds pretty enjoyable to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts