Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been married for years to a man I dearly love, my best friend as well.  He's caring, loving, and extremely sensitive, not to mention a hard worker.  However, he only reads very rarely.  He's highly intelligent, so his lack of reading as a pastime is unusual to me.

The advantages?  He's a very hard worker and never complains when I read and he works.  No, I'm not lazy, but would like to feel less "guilty" when I'm reading and he's laboring inside or outside the house. 

But it sure would be  nice to think of him snuggling with me in bed on a Sunday morning or a late evening some day with a great book. 

I'd be interested to know how many of you are paired with up mates who either love to read or take little interest in it?

G

·
Ex-hubby was a non-reader (thought reading the sports page counted as being a reader) . Part of the reason he is ex and I am now with Jim.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My DH will listen to audio books on the way to work. (He has a 2 hour commute) Other than that, he rarely picks up a book. But he plays a lot of video games, so if its not a game I'm playing with him (like an online MMO) then I read while he plays. Its not that he doesn't like reading, but he's easily distracted. It took him several months to finish Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. And that's fairly short. (At least compared to the others)

I'm happy that DS (age 2 1/2) has quickly picked up on the Kindle = book. If he sees me reading it, he says "Mommy read her book?" and then he'll grab one of his and say "Read my book too" and settles in next to me. ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My boyfriend has not been a big reader.  He orders and receives magazines, but admitted he only really scans them and has not thoroughly read articles.  I hate to see anything go unread, so I often read the articles and then discuss the things I learned during meals, conversations, etc.  He then would reply, how do you know that...LOL...I read YOUR magazine.  Now that he is in a job that allows him a bit more free time I have noticed he's starting to catch up on some of those magazine articles. 
debbie

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My husband is a non-reader the only thing he will read is a newspaper.  ( He thinks reading is a waste of time).   He's a TV person (I never watch TV) I'm  book person.  It works out great we each do our own thing.

He does love my Kindle he said its the best thing that every happen, because  when we're out shopping I go right past the book display,( he thinks he's saving money).

Of my 4 kids and 2 grandsons all read  but not that much only 1 grandson reads a lot and only about baseball.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My hubby is a non reader but I certainly don't want to get rid of him because of that.  ;) He is a sci fi and history movie buff which works out great for us. I Kindle and he is in the man cave with his movies. I have an ex that was a reader and I am glad he is an ex!  ;D  

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
tessa said:
My husband is a non-reader the only thing he will read is a newspaper. ( He thinks reading is a waste of time). He's a TV person (I never watch TV) I'm book person. It works out great we each do our own thing.

He does love my Kindle he said its the best thing that every happen, because when we're out shopping I go right past the book display,( he thinks he's saving money).

Of my 4 kids and 2 grandsons all read but not that much only 1 grandson reads a lot and only about baseball.
Our husbands sound as if they would like each other Tessa. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My husband reads the Wall Street Journal and lots of online news sources daily. This works out for me, since my knowledge of world affairs is not in depth, so if I hear about something interesting and ask him about it he can usually give me a quick synopsis.

He rarely reads novels, but he does like political non-fiction. He is working on Team of Rivals on his Kindle right now.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
tessa said:
My husband is a non-reader the only thing he will read is a newspaper. ( He thinks reading is a waste of time). He's a TV person (I never watch TV) I'm book person. It works out great we each do our own thing.

He does love my Kindle he said its the best thing that every happen, because when we're out shopping I go right past the book display,( he thinks he's saving money).

Of my 4 kids and 2 grandsons all read but not that much only 1 grandson reads a lot and only about baseball.
Tessa,
Isn't it awesome to pass on our love of reading? My two oldest have been avid readers their whole lives. (And my ex laughed at me when I was reading to them while I was pregnant. Of course, it didn't look near as strange with the second child. ) My youngest son wanted to be a reader but was having problems. We finally enrolled him in Sylvan when we realized it was a serious problem. This was in 7th grade. When he was pre-tested he was reading on a 4th, 2nd month grade level. They attributed it to learning to read by one method in kindergarten. We then moved to another state and they taught him to read by a different method in 1st grade. We signed up for, I think it was 16 weeks. After, I believe, 6 weeks they retested him and he was then reading on a college level. The administrators thought the test results were flawed when they ran them through the computor, so they called the results in, and sure enough, they were correct. Needless to say, they did not make us finish the remainder of the time he was scheduled.
Now he and my daughter have been on a quest the last 3 years to read the top 100 books. We all have a great time discussing the books we're reading whenever we get a chance to be together.
And now both of my grandsons also enjoy reading. When they were here at Thanksgiving the oldest found a book and placed it on his side of the bed so he could have a book to read before going to sleep, just like Mimi. (That's me). LOL!
Reading is such a wonderful gift to pass along.
debbie

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
tessa said:
Get rid of a non-reader? never cause who will cook dinner?
tessa,
I'm completely with you on that one. I would much rather read than cook. Boyfriend would rather cook than read. Match made in heaven. debbie

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
tessa said:
Get rid of a non-reader? never cause who will cook dinner?
Oh I agree with you there, my husband does the majority of the cooking and cleaning. Have to love the guy for that!! ;) Funny thing is he prefers it like that. We do enjoy cooking together on weekends, we both enjoy Food Network and trying new recipes.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
My hubby doesn't read for fun.  But that's o.k.  He builds bookcases for my books.  Since he won't have to build so many any more he can get to some of the other projects around the house.

I really think it has to do with how you grow up.  There were always books in our house and all 5 of us read to some extent.  There weren't so many books in my husband's home growing up and none of them really read except as they need to. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
65 Posts
In 18 yrs of marraige I have never seen hubby read a book. His parents never instilled the joy of reading in any of their kids. He is also dyslexic so reading can be a chore. In 18 yrs, I have more than made up for his lack of reading-LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have been married to a wonderful man for almost 24 years. He hates to read, unless it is something that can teach him to make money. I have always been a voracious reader, but the only one in my family.

My husband shook his head when I got a Kindle, thinking it was just another toy. I have had it since March and he keeps commenting that he can't believe how much use I get out of it. My TV watching has dropped off drastically.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My husband reads very little and when he does it takes him months to finish. 
If I really want him to read a book I have to read it to him. Which has been twice, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (I was hoping it would motivate him to read the other books-It didn't, although he liked it.) and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (same result) :eek:.
He loves Dune and has all the books and related books but has not read half of them.  No, I'm not going to read them to him. ::)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I didn't learn how to read till I was in 4TH grade my father sent me for private lessons with the school principal for the summer    I'll never forget when all the words she had me read finally click and  I realize I was reading a story. 

Looking back know  growing up we always had books around and everybody read.  My husbands family never did. I've known my husband since I'm 12 and I never saw him read a book but he knows so much I guess 35 years being a cop does that. 

I'm not a sports person but I started reading baseball books because for grandson.

He's not a great cook nor a good housekeeper but he learning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When my husband and I were dating, he NEVER read books, and swore he never would. He prefered his stories in interactive / visual mode (video games, movies, TV). I told his best friend (who is a big reader - he and I would drag my hubby into bookstores on a regular basis) that I was going to get him to read, and he laughed at me, saying it was impossible.

Well, on one of our longer car trips, I made him a deal - he could play his DS (Nintendo portable game system) while I drove, and I wouldn't complain or bother him, if I could listen to my audio book. I had planned ahead a little, and was a couple of CDs into it but not TOO far. It was a detective / serial killer story by Michael Connelly, and I knew he liked crime stories. Sure enough, after the first hour, when we stopped to eat, he was asking questions about the plot lines. When we got back in the car, the DS was put away and he was fully into the story with me.

Yay, I won Round 1! :)

We took a few more trips, listened to a few more Connelly books. Then I brought out the BIG guns! I had just gotten Jim Butcher's third book in audio format (wonderfully performed by James Marsters), so I used that as an excuse to re-listen to book 1 (Storm Front) on our Christmas / holiday travels. I said, "Please give it a try, I know it's not the same type of story you're used to, but I really want to hear it, and if you absolutely positively don't like it I brought a backup audio book." Wizard detective in Chicago, solving a murder with wit and snark a-plenty? BAM! - he was hooked.

Yay, I won Round 2! :)

We finished book 1, started book 2, and he ended up taking the rest of the CDs INSIDE the house to listen to in the evenings after work - it wasn't just "travel" material anymore. By the time he finished the audio for book 3, I had him totally under my book-spell! "Sorry, honey, but there is no book 4 on audio, they haven't recorded it yet. But book 7 comes out this April, and I have all the paperbacks in between if you want to keep going..."

Yay, I won Round 3! :)

One of my happiest moments during our dating years was his phone call to me from a business trip that April - he had dragged his best friend (the reader) into a book store after the daily work meetings were over, to buy his OWN copy of book 7 (Dead Beat) in hardback on release day. His friend was absolutely ASTONISHED. As best man at our wedding, part of his toast was how I was his hero - I got my husband to read books.

Round 4 is currently in the works...

I just got him his own Kindle, and he hasn't started using it yet because he is re-reading another series that isn't Kindle-ized yet. He has to finish reading those first, you see... hahahahaha!

So, it *is* possible to convert a non-reader, you just have to ... work the angles, lol.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.