Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd get Vellum, but you need the LATEST Mac operating system, and I've been hearing so many horror stories about it.

So is anyone out there using Jutoh?

CG

G

·
I use Jutoh for all my work - it's fairly easy to work with and it translates into other formats easily enough.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I've poked at Jutoh pretty extensively, but I've never actually published with it. I did my last book with Vellum. I'd say they're kind of polar opposites.

Vellum imports your word document, splits it into chapters, and strips absolutely everything out of it other than italics & bold. It autodetects scene breaks and replaces those with a Vellum scene break which could be the ubiquitous *** but could also be a line or graphic of some type. It automatically reformats the first paragraph in a chapter and the first paragraph after a scene break to a different style (drop cap, no indent and/or different font or small caps). You pretty much just pick a set of formatting presets and then go through and make sure it detected everything correctly. On the other side, it's pretty much a take it or leave it. It has a few dozen options and it limits you to those.

Here's an interesting tidbit on Vellum. All graphics are transparent and remain transparent if you reverse the background or make the background different like parchment on a color device. As most people know, these devices don't support transparent PNG graphics, but Vellum's built in graphics are XML vector graphics embedded in the CSS. I don't read on a tablet often, but when I do I always turn the background to parchment so this was very cool.

Vellum also, fwiw, automatically puts your body text into Palatino as an author font for Kindle rather than leaving it as the default caecilia. Users can change the font, but if they do, it will change the different font used for drop caps, chapter titles, and first paragraph after chapter/scene break. I think it actually produces a nicer looking but, but it kind of annoyed me because I'm a big caecilia fan in terms of readability of the font on an e-ink screen.

Jutoh is more of a hands on editor. It imports your word doc, breaks it into chapters, and generates a TOC. Other than that, everything is in your hands. If you don't want it to use the formatting you had in Word, you need to reapply styles to everything otherwise its going to leave the word styles and pass on the extraneous HTML into the epub. If you want to change *** to a graphic, you need to do it yourself and you need to have a graphic for the purpose to import and you're going to need to do it for every single ***. I'd guess it would take a couple of hours to format something in it. If you're not familiar with working with styles, there might be a learning curve.

I haven't had any issues with Yosemite. 2012 MBA 11 updated from Mav to Yosemite and a 2013 27 iMac that was a fresh Yosemite install.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've used Jutoh for years. I love it.

I use Open Office to apply simple styles to my headers and text body, then import it and break at page breaks. I've also noticed since replacing my file on other vendors with a Jutoh file that has the description, keywords, categories etc. all built in to the file, my sales on those venues picked up even though I stopped my social media campaigns fora  bit because I got sick and busy.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
C. Gockel said:
Vellum's new version only works on 10.9 and above. I guess I could ask if they'd let me get an older version ...
10.9 is Mavericks.
Which I am using on all Macs here (especially 2009 MacBook Pro) with no problems.
Will also not be upgrading in the near future.
I do not know if you can still get 10.9 though, or whether you are forced to get Yosemite.

·
Registered
172 Posts
C. Gockel said:
I'd get Vellum, but you need the LATEST Mac operating system...
Just wanted to jump in here quickly and clarify that Vellum doesn't need the latest Mac operating system. It does require either the current OS, Yosemite (10.10), or the previous one, Mavericks (10.9). If you are two OS versions behind (Mountain Lion, 10.8), then you won't be able to use the most recent version of Vellum.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might try to get upgraded to 10.9 (I'm recently a convert to Macs, so I don't know if I have to get the latest, or if I can upgrade to one behind).

The folks at Vellum recently supplied me with an older version of the software that doesn't have quite the same image handling functionality. I'm cool with that!

CG

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use Jutoh and I like it. I think there are probably ways to streamline my production on Jutoh, but I haven't taken the time to do more than just basic production. Although - I recently figured out how to move my TOC from the front of my bundle to the end and that made me happy. :)

It is much easier and more reliable than the Calibre acrobatics I was taught when I first started self-publish.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Vellum is fantastic if you don't want to mess with formatting too much. I mean, it's just great.

If you want to do any significant customizations, though, it falls short, and you need to use either Jutoh or Sigil (or hand code).

I use Jutoh and then tweak in Sigil, although I just may end up going directly to Sigil as I learn more.

Jutoh really is very very good, though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've used and love Jutoh for three years through however many upgrades. It's always easy and intuitive. And just a few clicks to make updated files when you have new back matter. (Could be the same for Vellum for all I know, though, I've never tried it.)

Best of luck either way!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.