Kindle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Tilly said:
As a newbie to all this, I use Jutoh and find it pretty much muppet-proof :D
This is a bold claim and I reserve the right to challenge it by downloading Jutoh now and having a go. The Muppet is strong with this one. ;D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Z. Rider said:
how'd you do it?
Rather than setting up your TOC when you first start your project, you set it up through a wizard after.

Steps:
1. When you create a new project, on the "Single File Import" page, rather than selecting "Split by style", select "Split by Page Breaks"

2. Then, when you have your project created, go to the "Book" tab. At the bottom, there is a "Build Table of Contents."

3. On the first page of the wizard, select "create contents with Jutoh's help." It'll say they don't see anything, and asks if you want to build one. Say yes.

4. The next page, I leave it up to "matching style". I have all my chapters / headings as style "Heading 1" in my Word doc.
The other thing to make sure of in your Word doc is to have your section / page breaks where you want your breaks. However, you can't have it go straight from the end of the last sentence to the break, you have to have a paragraph mark in the middle. So = "period-paragraph mark-section break". If you miss the paragraph mark in the middle, it does weird things.

5. Then you will see on your project table on the left that you now have a "Table of Contents" section that you can move around. It seems to default to the front, but you can move it either by dragging and dropping it, or through the "edit" tab. On the "edit" tab, go to "indexes", and there you can use the arrows to move the table of contents up and down your sections.

I hope that helps. If you need more info, I can try to capture it through screen shots. :)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Old thread, but I just wanted to pop in and say I got Jutoh. I found it very easy to use and really love it. Vellum has such lovely built in styles, but the hassle of a different operating system just wasn't worth it to me. Also, since I edit my docs in Open Office anyway, Jutoh was a natural choice. I love how it maintains my styles on import, especially the line spacing! I can't be the only person out there who wants 150% spacing between lines of text.

Thanks for everyone who chimed in. To anyone on the fence, Jutoh is inexpensive at $39.00 U.S. / £24.00 / €30.00. Calibre may be free, but I found it frustrating and Amazon didn't always accept the files.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I bought it recently too and it is pretty easy to use, although there are still a few things I need to figure out (eg why my chapter headings all come out in Courier and won't change unless I go through and do it manually, and how to put the TOC at the back).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Lydniz said:
I bought it recently too and it is pretty easy to use, although there are still a few things I need to figure out (eg why my chapter headings all come out in Courier and won't change unless I go through and do it manually, and how to put the TOC at the back).
I've been using Jutoh for about 6-8 months now, and from a docx file to upload on the zon takes less than an hour. It was a learning curve for me when I was creating my backmatter for mailing list subscribers b/c I wanted to insert cover images. That took a while to learn, but it's all good now.

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer to your problem, Lydniz- wish I did.
HOWEVER- the couple of times I ran into snags, I emailed support and the program's creator got back to me within an hour. With a couple of emails back and forth the issue (I can't even recall what it was) was resolved in about two hours and I was good to go.

The program fits my work flow like a glove, and I am a true Fozzy Bear. I'd suggest firing off an email. He's a great guy to work with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
C. Gockel said:
Vellum's new version only works on 10.9 and above. I guess I could ask if they'd let me get an older version ...
You don't need an older version. Mac OS X 10.9 is Mavericks, not Yosemite. I'm looking at it, now, right here on my screen.

And, yes, Vellum is great, especially for the technically challenged. It is extremely easy and fast and makes elegant books. For the tinkerer, though, there are fewer options to play with than with some other formatting programs. However, for the HTML lover in you, you can take apart either of Vellum's EPUB2 or EPUB3 files (it makes both) and really go to town!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts