Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what did you get, and are you happy with it?  Baby is 11 weeks old & I did not finish my editing before her birth--chomping at the bit now to fly the coop & get the last of the book squared away so I can join you in Kindle AuthorLand.  I'd like something small, like a netbook, perhaps.  What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am in love with my new laptop! Got it about a month ago. I got the i5 processor (search google shopping etc for deals when buying new stuff) and so far, there's not a thing I would change about it. I usually hate laptops, but I don't have a bad thing to say about this one :) I wanted a machine that could cope with the audio and video editing I do, and also something lightweight, so I can hopefully bump my writing time by taking it everywhere with me. So far, I've just been lying in bed lol but it makes it easier for me to read books online/Kindle PC; I hate sitting at my desk reading.

*smooches it*

Here you go, I got mine from Micro Anvika at £499 and it came in 3 days, even though I chose free standard delivery. I hail its wonders. It also has a dedicated graphics card (so I can play with my Sims) :)

Samsung RV511 i5

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well I have an emac and a 15 ins macbook pro, so although it's expensive and quite big for a netbook I will probably get the smallest macbook air. The thing is, I figure I won't do any useful writing on it unless it has a proper keyboard and can use the same writing packages as my bigger computers.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Look for the laptops or netbooks with a full size keyboard, your wrists will thank you.

Anything under a 10" screen is unlikely to have a full sized keyboard. Plenty of great options around now. Look for decent battery life otherwise it is pointless having a laptop that needs being secured to the wall.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I bought a Toshiba Netbook about 18 months ago. I quite like it. The reason I bought the Toshiba, even though it cost about $50 more than other comparable 10 inch netbooks, was the keyboard. The keys are bigger, closer to the size of a 'real' keyboard than those of the others.

Measuring it, I found that the distance from 'A to L' on the Toshiba was the same as the distance from 'A to ;' on the others. As a writer -- i.e. someone who is going to be doing a lot of touch typing on it, not someone who'll use it for surfing and use the touch-pad -- I found that the smaller keyboards of the other machines felt uncomfortable.

As I mainly use the portable when I travel, I wanted light weight and small. Were I using it mostly at home or in town, I would prefer a laptop because of the larger screen.

My advice: when you go to buy, sit (or stand) at the demo and type for several minutes -- whether the machine is turned on or not. See how the keys feel -- both for resistance and size. Do that with different models. You won't regret the extra hour you spend shopping near as much as you will the next few years if you get one whose keyboard doesn't please.

As a writer, who uses his portable mainly for that purpose, any computer that operates a word processing program has enough power for me. My last laptop lasted from when I purchased it in 2001 until 2010. It had 32 MB of RAM, 10 GB of Hard Disk space and used Windows Millennium as an operating system. I had no complaints -- other than battery life after a few years -- except for its size and weight when travelling.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I bought Samsung NC10 a while ago. Not sure if they still sell that particular model, but I found Samsung netbook keyboards to be fairly large -- almost full size, and I don't find them uncomfortable at all.  (And my hands aren't small)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
LesleaTash said:
If so, what did you get, and are you happy with it? Baby is 11 weeks old & I did not finish my editing before her birth--chomping at the bit now to fly the coop & get the last of the book squared away so I can join you in Kindle AuthorLand. I'd like something small, like a netbook, perhaps. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
I bought a netbook--it's simply not powerful enough. To get a powerful one, I'd have to be spending more than on a comparable laptop. I have a Toshiba laptop (my second) and I love it. They have decent pricing, quality and I can recommend them. All the netbooks I looked at were more expensive for the same features (just in a smaller package) and the netbook I ended up with has a keyboard that is too small to use for fast typing...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I recently bought a MacBook Pro.
I love PC's and was a faithful user for years, but my computers always seemed to crash on me. =/
First one was after a year, and the second was overheating and restarting after two. I just couldn't take it anymore.
So now I have a mac, and I LOVE it. :D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hubby has a netbook and while it has great battery life (>7 hrs) and is very light and small to carry around, I find the screen too small to work for very long and it's almost impossible to browse the web without constantly scrolling.

I bought an Acer laptop last week. Much as I hate PC World (in UK) for their pushy overbearing sales technique, this guy did sound like he knew what he was talking about and didn't try to force the most expensive thing on us or get us to buy naff warranties. He said they had the least problems with Acer or HP machines. I love it. It's really fast with a nice keyboard and a decent size screen. Battery about 3hrs - not brilliant but then I don't use it on the move much.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just ordered and set up an asus eee netbook for my wife to travel with: http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1215T-MU17-BK-12-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0046HCSG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307806138&sr=8-1

It was on a good sale, $310, so I had to jump on it. It's big for a netbook, with a 12" screen and so a full-sized keyboard, but still light. It's got 2 gigs of ram, so it runs windows 7 and the necessary applications well since I optimized it. If I wanted a light writing laptop, I'd order another of these.

I'm gonna echo what has been said that you should look for one with a full-sized keyboard. Definitely not less than 93%. Few vendors consistently list the keyboard size. newegg.com always does, in the details tab, so even if you don't buy from them it's good to see if they have the netbook listed to check out the full specs. They also have the best reviews.

·
Registered
876 Posts
PMartelly said:
I recently bought a MacBook Pro.
I love PC's and was a faithful user for years, but my computers always seemed to crash on me. =/
First one was after a year, and the second was overheating and restarting after two. I just couldn't take it anymore.
So now I have a mac, and I LOVE it. :D
Oh yes, I'd love a MacBook Pro for the studio :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
A few weeks back I finally replaced my old Compaq running Windows XP with a lovely new Asus Bamboo 43JC, and for $699 (after a 150 mail in rebate) shipping included, it is a pleasure. 5i processor, Nvdia video card, 7 hours battery life (I've read claims up to ten, but I get 6 to 7) and a comfortable keyboard. It goes in and out of sleep mode super fast and everything operates wonderful.  The touch pad is highly configurable and can be easily shut when I'm in 'strictly writing' mode. I made my decision based on the guts, but I will admit it's the looks that first caught my attention.  I'm not usually one for aesthetics on a computer, but a large part of this computer is made of WOOD!  The entire lid and wrist-rest/touchpad area are made of bamboo wood, which is light but very strong. It's so very pretty and feels so nice to the touch! :) My last two laptops were covered with bumper stickers just to break up the monotony of the plastic on plastic look, but this thing is too lovely to deface!

·
Registered
586 Posts
LesleaTash said:
If so, what did you get, and are you happy with it? Baby is 11 weeks old & I did not finish my editing before her birth--chomping at the bit now to fly the coop & get the last of the book squared away so I can join you in Kindle AuthorLand. I'd like something small, like a netbook, perhaps. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
I got a dell mini. Built like a tank. 250GB hard drive. It was a bit slow until I deleted windoze 7 in it's entirety and installed Mint Linux 9. Keyboard ok. screen not too bad in direct sunlight. It's a good all rounder.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
I am in love with my new laptop! Got it about a month ago. I got the i5 processor (search google shopping etc for deals when buying new stuff) and so far, there's not a thing I would change about it. I usually hate laptops, but I don't have a bad thing to say about this one :) I wanted a machine that could cope with the audio and video editing I do, and also something lightweight, so I can hopefully bump my writing time by taking it everywhere with me. So far, I've just been lying in bed lol but it makes it easier for me to read books online/Kindle PC; I hate sitting at my desk reading.

*smooches it*

Here you go, I got mine from Micro Anvika at £499 and it came in 3 days, even though I chose free standard delivery. I hail its wonders. It also has a dedicated graphics card (so I can play with my Sims) :)

Samsung RV511 i5
But what is it?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Jessica Billings said:
I highly recommend Asus netbooks. I also wouldn't go below 10", as someone else mentioned.
I bought the original 7 inch EEPC. Everything too small for me. Still have it if anybody in the UK would like it they are welcome to it for P&P. hardly been used. It's probably collectable? Makes a good doorstop if required.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts