Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Well, my debut novella (32k words) is due to the editor this Monday with the published date of June 30th. I also have August 4th booked for another book (book 2 in the series I was going to release). However, I'm thinking about not sending my book to the editor just yet, and waiting until August 4th to do so, which would make the book's release August 13th or so. (Consequently, would push book 2 out in September or later).

Here's why. First off, it's my first book. I want it to be absolutely the best as possible. I keep re-reading it and polishing it and tightening it. My thought process is, what would hurt waiting 6 more weeks to make it as excellent as possible instead of rushing it.

I was wondering if any of you ever face this? Part of me feels this rush because so many authors are self pubbing, I have it in my mind that 2011 is the "year to jump on the train" or else!  : ) or else the market will be way saturated in 2012 and all my books will be lost in a sea!). Or-(Amazon may not have this program next year! I have to put five books out this year!) (That's probably not going to happen, but it's just an honest thought!)

I definitely know that's not a very good reason to publish fast. But I'm just being honest. Anyone else have these thoughts or ever push back releasing their book for a month? Does anyone ever feel that there is a giant urge or rush to push books out this year? Or is this just typical for newbies like me? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply :). In your many books you have published, did you ever take longer than you planned for a particular book?

I'm a HUGE goal setter. I have little index cards all around the house with action plans and how many words I need to write a day in order to have the goal met by the end of the year of 5 published books. I think I'm just a tad bit frustrated because I'm not meeting my goal :). Which is okay! It's always good to revaluate. Just was wondering if anyone else has faced this? I think I'm just SO excited to "be in the game", so to speak :).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
My current WIP is quite late, not because I kept tweaking, but because it took me longer to write than I expected. I changed my mind about a few things and had to throw out several thousand words.

Readers would prefer a better book even if it takes a little longer to get released. Make your first impression a good one.

P.S. I'm impressed that you can get a book edited and formatted in 10 days! It takes me a good 4 weeks to edit my books, and a couple of days to format.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks kcmay :). I must clarify, haha. I edit myself and do tons of rewrites. I then send it to a professional editor. It takes her a few days or a week to edit. Then I'll send it to the formatter who claims it takes a few short days :) So, I'm assuming the overall process from professional editing to formatting is 2 weeks?

It's taking me FOREVER to edit my book lol. :) Much longer than I anticipated! But it's all good! Now I know what to expect for book 2 and book 3 and so forth!

When are you releasing your book? What's it about? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
816 Posts
In a year from now, those extra weeks will seem like nothing, and if you make yourself a slave to the date, you'll forever be kicking yourself that you put out something that's not as good as it could be. Quality is always the most important thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
lacycameywrites.com said:
Thanks for the reply :). In your many books you have published, did you ever take longer than you planned for a particular book?

I'm a HUGE goal setter. I have little index cards all around the house with action plans and how many words I need to write a day in order to have the goal met by the end of the year of 5 published books. I think I'm just a tad bit frustrated because I'm not meeting my goal :). Which is okay! It's always good to revaluate. Just was wondering if anyone else has faced this? I think I'm just SO excited to "be in the game", so to speak :).
Hi Lacey!

You've got OCD! Welcome to the club. I write 3/4 books a year (I have 11 books published thus far). Don't worry about self-imposed publication dates, publish the very best book you can. Don't forget, if your first book loses readers (for whatever reason) you'll probably never get them back. I write a 90,000-word book in three months (a 1,000 words a day), then I give myself a month to edit. There comes a time though, when you're at saturation point, that's the time to publish. Good luck with your condition :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Millard, spoken like a true philosopher! Yes, you're right. Thanks for the reply! :)

@ Tim, so THAT'S what I have? lol. I've been wondering! I really am quite obsessive about goals, lol (to be honest). But I wouldn't have it any other way! (except the stressing part, haha). Congrats on the 11 books! Are they all in one genre?

·
Registered
90 Posts
@ Tim, so THAT'S what I have? lol. I've been wondering! I really am quite obsessive about goals, lol (to be honest). But I wouldn't have it any other way! (except the stressing part, haha). Congrats on the 11 books! Are they all in one genre?
No! 6 x Crime; 2 x Historical; 1 x YA SciFi; 1 x YA Fantasy; 1 x collection of Short Stories.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My philosophy is that it's better to get out the best book you can than to cut corners, especially when it's your first book. To that end I've already pushed back my own release date from Labor Day (early September) to October/November so I can give myself more time to make it a better story. Millard had it right: in a year or so those extra weeks will seem like nothing. Good luck and have fun with edits!  ;D

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, I'm missing a deadline RIGHT NOW actually! It's less of a big deal if you haven't done any pre-release promo. If that's the case, then release the book when it's ready, and not a minute before. I'm going to be at least a month late with my fourth novel, but it needs love and attention, and I won't be able to give it what it needs once it's out the door.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever come close to a self-imposed deadline. I mean really, how could you? Writing is the least exact science there is. It might be the case that it comes a little easier than you thought, and you even finish early, but hacking through it to hit the target has bad news written all over it. Plus, I think you know. They always say art is never finished, only abandoned, but there's a very noticable feeling of just knowing it's as good as you're going to get it. A lightness around the shoulders. Sometimes you'll try lying to yourself that you feel it, because you really, really want to be done now, but the shoulders are still heavy, so on you plow.

And really, that's the beauty of self-imposed deadlines. Whenever someone else is setting it, I always feel like "if only I'd had a little more time..." Well, you can have as much time as you like, so just be sure to make the most if it all.

G

·
Congrats!  And yeah, I don't think you should feel bad for taking more time.  I don't think any of us should feel too rushed--haste makes waste, after all, and as everyone always says, this is a marathon, not a sprint.  If you're in this for the long haul to build a professional career, a couple of extra weeks will be worth it if it helps you put out a better book.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think it's a problem to push back a 'self-imposed' release date. I wanted to have From Heaven done by February 2011, and yet I'm still not done; not even close. I learned my lesson with my first release; to wait. Make sure everything is perfect, and not rush into it head first.

If you feel it needs more attention and love, then go for it. I think readers will understand.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'd say be careful.

There's such thing as over-editing, and sometimes we writers use that fear of public response to procrastinate and tweak something that really doesn't need it. Too much editing sucks the life out of a story.

I have a self-imposed date (July 1st) for releasing my urban fantasy novel that I'm finishing final proofs for, but all I've announced publicly is "July", to account for the processing delays for some vendors.

But I'm sticking to that July 1st date unless something major happens, like I have another week where I'm non-functional from migraines. Otherwise, I'll never stop fiddling. Already, maybe half of the "corrections" on the printed copy I'm proofreading are optional.

I also have a public release date for the sequel to A Fistful of Fire that's "late 2011". I have a specific date privately in mind (Hint: I released my first book April 1st and plan to release my second book July 1st-there's a pattern!). But it's taking longer to write than planned.

Still, I'm an edit-as-I-go kind of writer; what's slowing me down is fixing some plot holes. In practice, that means I should only have details to fix up when done. I'll only delay it if I (and my betas) know that it's not done.

You can always make another tweak. If that's what you're doing, you may want to consider just letting go.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
All the time!  I would rather be late on a self-imposed deadline and produce a decent book than rush.  I do my own editing, with my girlfriend helping out, so we just kind of set general deadlines.  For example, I intend to do a rewrite this summer of a horror novel and have it out in October...but not any specific date, just yet.  Just before Halloween, hopefully.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
modwitch said:
I think the real question is whether you think delaying will truly improve the book. Revising (especially for the tenth time) doesn't always make a book better. Have you had any beta readers look at the book?
Agreed. Obviously we want the best book possible, but occasionally we dither and dither and that 10th revision isn't going to make a difference. How much editing has been done so far? What has the feeback been from beta readers? Have you already gotten a substantive edit from the freelance editor, or are you waiting for that?

modwitch said:
Also, if it's just a copy edit, you might be able to make the changes and get it out in ten days. If you get an substantive feedback, it will take longer than that. (I'm with KC - it takes about a month from when it goes to my editor to when I hit publish - it goes through a proofreader in that time as well - but it spends the month prior to going to my editor going through beta reads and stuff).
If you've already had substantive editing done, then likely you'll still be able to make the deadline you'd planned. I was able to get the changes done in 3 days after the copy edit, although it takes more like a month (or more, depending on what needs to be done) to do revisions after substantive editing. But at the line editing stage, I got the edits, made the changes in 3 days, then sent it to the proofreader. She turned it back around in 5 days, and I was able to turn around her edits in a couple of hours.

As for the importance of deadlines, it's up to you. Some authors never have a deadline for the self-published work and when it's ready, they put it on sale. I did have a release date that I'd begun publicizing. I'd even set up a blog tour to correspond with the relase, so it would have been very diffciult to push things back if I happened to be in your shoes. If I trult believed it was necessary, I would, even though it would have entailed contacting all the bloggers who'd assigned guest blog dates.

So it really all depends on whether you ahve a "launch" planned or if you're happy to simply release it out into the world and then about a month later start a blog tour. Either way is fine. I chose to do a "launch" because it is more in line with what you see in traditional publishing, and I wanted to give the book as close to a traditionally-published experince as possible. That being said, self-publishing is a marathon, not a sprint, so while in traditional publishing you NEED to do the blog tour immediately, it's not as crucial in self-publishing.

But I guess the most important thing I'd say is that you need to take a good hard look at the book and see what others say. There actually is such a thing as over-editing.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

Don't put it out until you are sure it's ready.

Yes, I've held off on putting a book out. Sick Days, which I thought was DEFINITELY ready after I made changes from the Beta reader...went out to a third beta reader who came available. Well. LO and behold, she had a couple of issues. That threw the entire schedule off, but the beta reader was not only a trusted beta reader, she had read the other two in the series. I gladly pushed the schedule out--first I made the changes. Then I did a re-read. Then it still had to go to a copyeditor. It had been through copyediting once already, but after the changes, it needed another pass.

My Motto: Never put a book out because an arbitrary date has arrived. If you're still polishing, polish. If you're not sure--get a beta reader or two.

There is no rush because putting a book out that isn't ready isn't going to "beat the crowd to market." It could just end up you beat yourself up later.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts