Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded a sample, and it looks intriguing. Anybody read the whole thing?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, I read it last fall and loved it! The author does a fine job of scholarship, finding guidance from the right people and has a great sense of humor. He treats people with respect and it turns out to be a mildly transforming experience for him.

And it shows the truth that none of us follow every rule in the Bible, not even the New Testament, no matter how literally we say we take the Bible. We pick and choose the rules to follow.

It's a great book for a book group to read.

Enjoy!

Cherie

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have read it also and found it to be a good read. Jacobs has a Jewish backround but did talk with many people of different faiths and beliefs so I found the book to be failrly broadminded.

I also read the one his intern wrote about his semester at Liberty University: The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

I found this one pretty good also, well written for a first book.

Lynn L

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lynn, I just heard about that book a couple of weeks ago! It sounds really interesting.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Read it and recommended it to a few people.  It was educational and funny at the same time, and as far as I could tell he managed to not offend anyone despite writing about some traditions that are taken very seriously, no small feat.

From talking to friends who have read it, I'd say that it's a good book no matter your religion or lack thereof.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am reading it on and off. I am enjoying it but not as much as I enjoyed The Know-It-All which is  his account of reading all the way through the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

patrisha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts