Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if it was possible for indies to sign up to these UK stores? Anyone tried it? Possible? Worth it? Can I fit in another question mark?

G

·
I sell the paperback through Waterstones. Getting listed on their website is fairly easy, but getting on shelves takes a little more work.

You need to get your book listed on their central system and then either persude them to send it out as core stock, or speak to managers about getting their shops to stock it. There are full details on their website here. Hope this helps.

(Edited to add: they've recently announced they are changing systems after the buyout so this may change)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I sent out personalized mailshots to 21 Waterstones, got one response, no sales.

I visited three local shops, one was hostile, one indifferent, one ordered six books. I stopped at that point, because the profit per hour of selling to Waterstones was too low. Later I checked the shop that bought, and two copies of Remix were at the back of the shop, on a bottom shelf, under Crime. I moved one to General Fiction. They were charging the cover price, £9.99, even though I give 55% discount, and Amazon charges much less as do I.

I've been expecting those six books to be returned to me ever since.

Lexi

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've had my paperbacks in some Waterstones shops. I emailed each shop individually to ask them whether they'd be interested in stocking my book. Some responded and stocked it. And when I was in some of the shops I asked in person, and they were usually very responsive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's semi-encouraging for print copies. I did hear they like to take a huge profit in return though.

I wonder if there is a way to sell e-copies on either seeing as they sell them too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts