Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE ^2:

New Kindle came in today and .... what? The contrast is awesome? No buttons stick? No sun fade? Could it be true?

Yes, yes, Yes!

*screams it from rooftops. I GOT A KINDLE THAT WORKS!!!!!!

(The Story)
Alright, so as a few of you may know, I have gone through several (5+) Kindles, The first few had the vampire syndrome (sun-faded text) and the rest that followed have had horrible contrast as well as a myriad of other issues (couldn't hold a charge, button stuck, etc.)

For the last few replacements I have used Ted-san's font hack, but even still, the hack only darkens the text, and doesn't lighten the background, of course.

I am honestly not a picky person, but the last few replacements I have received have had terrible contrast in comparison to the kindles that had the vampire syndrome. The last Kindle I got via UPS had been perfect in my eyes; out of all the other kindles, the background was as close to white as I had ever seen it, and the text was nice and dark. Alas, it was not meant to be when I took her outside and nearly the entire page was washed out within a few page turns. So once again I called Kindle Support, and they sent out another replacement.

Now, throughout this whole ordeal, all the amazon representatives I have spoken with have been very kind, understanding and helpful, but that wasn't the case today. When I called, the representative acted as if he had never heard of anyone else having the sun-fade issue, and started asking me if I had used the device in any extreme temperatures. I didn't think 75 degrees counted as an extreme temp. Then he looked up my record and told me that it was very difficult to believe that I could have received so many deficient devices. Yeah, me too. Then he went on to give me a talk about how my expectations for the device were too high, and that they aren't realistic. Oh, he also went on to say that they don't replace devices just because of poor contrast (this is flying in the face of the last few representatives that had told me they would replace my kindles for any reason, no questions asked until I was satisfied.) I paid $360.00, don't I deserve to be satisfied with my purchase?

What, so he thinks I enjoy calling up Amazon every other week? I've had enough Kindles to know what it can and cannot do, what it should look like and what it shouldn't look like. As I stated previously, my last Kindle was perfect in contrast, just like a printed page and every other way until I took it outside and the text was obliterated by the sun. Ever Kindle I have received since has been far worse by comparison.

Ugh, I'm sorry, I really don't know the point of this thread, I think I just had to vent. IT just makes me so angry because the best Kindle out of the bunch (Ashterah) had been completely decked out with a skin, and a screen protector, only to find her text illegible in the sunlight, so I had to remove it all, only then to be sent Kindle after kindle of a far lesser quality.

UPDATE: The sun showed it's face for a bit today, so I took Kindle number.... (5? 6?) outside just to see how it fared. Now, keeping in mind that it is just barely 70 degrees and cool ( and the fact that the sun isn't at it's brightest) If the results were satisfactory, I was to wait until a bright day showed itself so that I could subject the Kindle to a more rigorous testing.

It did not come to that. Even in the weak light, the fading of the text was clear and significant; the fact that the contrast of the screen under normal conditions left much to be desired was yet another nail in the coffin. So, full of trepidation, I called Amazon and explained my situation.

The man I spoke to was nice, unlike the guy from the other day that bit my head off, and sent out another immediately, without telling me that I was crazy, the the Kindle isn't meant to be read in the sunlight, that my expectations are too high to be met, etc....

Kindle number.... ugh, I lost count, is on it's way.

UPDATE ^2:

New Kindle came in today and .... what? The contrast is awesome? No buttons stick? No sun fade? Could it be true?

Yes, yes, Yes!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.  I think that for what the Kindle cost they should send you multiple replacements, and have you send back the ones you don't want to keep.  I'd chalk up your latest call to an inexperienced support rep who probably thought he was doing the right thing at the time.  If it were me I would call back and talk to a different person, or ask to talk to a supervisor.  Good luck, hope you find one that works.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Anarel - you DO have realistic expectations and I think you got a sour apple at CS as from what I have heard they bend over backwards to help.  Keep on bugging them and keep on keeping on until you get a satisfactory unit.  Several others here have wanted to give up but they persevered and finally got one that worked like it was supposed to.

It is perfectly OK to vent and rant here, we all understand and empathize with you, even us K1 owners.

Hang in there and keep trying.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I'm not sure where the CS rep is from if he hasn't heard about the sun fade problem. You are not wrong. Call again and get a supervisor. You will love your Kindle, so don't give up. Hang in there and vent all you want. :)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Vent away!  You are certainly among people who will understand.
It's possible to get a bad customer service person from time to time.  Just call back and talk to someone else or ask for a supervisor.  You'll get a perfect Kindle yet.
And keep your expectations high!  You deserve a Kindle that is easier to read than a printed book.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
At this point I'd seriously consider taking a refurbished K1 or looking for a used one over the K2.

I am a little confused by the white screen comment though since the screen isn't meant to be white.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rasputina said:
At this point I'd seriously consider taking a refurbished K1 or looking for a used one over the K2.

I am a little confused by the white screen comment though since the screen isn't meant to be white.
Sorry, put simply, I meant that the contrast was very very good on Ashterah, the text was nice and dark and the background was very light. Like, if you look on the amazon page and click on the Kindle and look at the picture shown there, that was how clear the contrast was on my kindle.

And everything else I got afterwards had a deep, murky grey background.

Another issue with me right now is, though the last replacement is a muddy gray background, I don't even know if it has the vampire syndrome or not because its been raining for the past few days; god only knows if this "replacement" has the fading issue, too.

G

·
I personally think it is a bit unbelievable that you've been through 6 Kindle 2's and found something wrong with each and every one of them. Maybe you are just a tad picky? In any case I second the advice of Rasputina. A K1 may be more suitable for you. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a good Kindle soon. :)

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
I certainly hope you get this resolved.

Be of good cheer though.  Some of us, me for one, have had a good K2 from day 1 and no fade, no squeak in the case, no case separation, and pretty good contrast (which seemed to get better with the software version upgrade).

So a good one CAN be had. Good luck.

Just sayin........

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NYCKindleFan said:
I personally think it is a bit unbelievable that you've been through 6 Kindle 2's and found something wrong with each and every one of them. Maybe you are just a tad picky? In any case I second the advice of Rasputina. A K1 may be more suitable for you. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a good Kindle soon. :)
I can't believe it either, to be completely honest. But I don't know what else to tell you except this is what happened to me. The first three had the sun fade, the rest in between had terrible contrast and the latest one had the vampire syndrome.

I'm NOT being picky; when I say that the contrast was bad, I mean that the next was nearly illegible due to the darkness of the background. My eyesight is not very good; I didn't purchase this device to squint at a screen. Not only that, I have been satisfied with the device at one point, the latest one, Ashterah, again, had perfect contrast, but had the sunfade issue so I really can't understand why I keep getting kindles that are SO much worse than that one.

And thanks for the device, but for my purposes a Kindle 2 fits the bill.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Anarel,
I understand your sending back Kindles that have the sun fade issue and also understand your sending back the Kindles that have a really dark screen. I have seen pictures of some people's Kindles and felt sorry for them for their having such a dark screen when mine is so good. I do believe though that probably at some point Amazon is going to tell you that you just need to return your Kindle for a refund. I'm wondering if that is why the most recent CSR was not quite as understanding about your complaints about your most recent Kindle.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes-- we know you really really want a good Kindle and KBers know you. But I can imagine that at some point the CS staff at Amazon looks at your record of returns online and will start to question it. I can see their point too.... Hopefully you'll get THE Kindle soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a first-generation Kindle that hasn't displayed any issues (cue frantic knocking on wood!), so I don't quite feel qualified to comment on this issue, but I did have one suggestion/question: have you been documenting your Kindle concerns through photographs?

Maybe Amazon would be better able to realize that you've been sent a string of duds if you were able to whip out a virtual stack of photos and say, "This one had great contrast, but, as you can see, it faded in the sun; this one didn't fade in the sun, but there's so little difference between the type and the background that you can barely read it," etc., etc.

Taking the time and effort to photograph each Kindle shouldn't be necessary, but having a visual means of comparison might go a long way toward helping Amazon's CSRs understand your situation!

In any case, good luck finding a keeper!

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is exactly the reason I went for a used K1 instead of a K2. Amazon's quality control for the e-ink displays on the K2 seems pretty pathetic. I haven't looked into it, but I'd guess that other brands and models of eReaders use the same screens as the Kindle. I wonder if any of them have the same problem with fading text and low contrast, or if other companies just have better QC to get rid of the bad apples.

Look, if it was me (and since you've ruled out the K1 as an option) I'd be taking photos of each Kindle they sent; as proof (if you need it) but also to compare to other people's Kindles. If you're absolutely 100% sure that your Kindle isn't working as advertised, keep on at it until you get a fully working unit. If you get a CS rep that obviously doesn't care about customer satisfaction (or blatantly lies about not replacing units with the contrast problem, as is your case), politely ask to speak to his manager, or another CS who will give you a fair go.

As mentioned, there may come a point where they'll be giving you a refund instead of a new unit. It's up to you if you want to go through it all again. Also, even non-defective units won't be as perfect and pristine as the marketing pics on Amazon's site. I'm sure you're aware of this, but I'm just putting it out there anyway. The screen IS grey, even on a perfect unit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jesspark said:
I have a first-generation Kindle that hasn't displayed any issues (cue frantic knocking on wood!), so I don't quite feel qualified to comment on this issue, but I did have one suggestion/question: have you been documenting your Kindle concerns through photographs?

Maybe Amazon would be better able to realize that you've been sent a string of duds if you were able to whip out a virtual stack of photos and say, "This one had great contrast, but, as you can see, it faded in the sun; this one didn't fade in the sun, but there's so little difference between the type and the background that you can barely read it," etc., etc.

Taking the time and effort to photograph each Kindle shouldn't be necessary, but having a visual means of comparison might go a long way toward helping Amazon's CSRs understand your situation!

In any case, good luck finding a keeper!
Thanks for the idea, I could take a picture of the few I have right now I suppose, but for the contrast issue I dunno if they would just brush me off...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anarel you are not picky... Infact you are not the only one who has had to replace the Kindle 2 lots of times.... There are some people on this board who had to replace their Kindle 3-5 already.... It's a comon defect with the sunfading issue and the contrast issue... I'm sure Amazon will fix these problems in the near future...

PS: Poor DD had to replace her Kindle 5 times now as well... You guys should read her topic http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,7677.0.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
It depends now on how the person views your post but I can see just how you love Kindle and after so many returns have not written any such so harsh words against Amazon for getting bad Kindles. Go direct to the supervisor and hope you get the Kindle for you this time. I know you are not alone.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ugh, as horrible as it sounds at least I'm not the only one; someone else over at the Amazon forums said their lucky number was 8- eight Kindles they had to go through to get their GOOD one.

I think I'll wait a few days and see if the latest, bad contrasty one has sun fade or not (its been rainy the past few days) and one way or another I'll call Amazon again and hope I don't get the same guy x_X;. I just get really nervous when I call because I know EXACTLY how it looks, with so many returns, but I HAVE had issues. And the way the guy was all condescending and saying that it was highly doubtful that I had received so many bad devices...

It's not fun printing out return labels and running to the UPS store to return packages, calling Amazon and explaining this whole situation,  and waiting around for UPS to deliver the next one...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.