Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The number of iPads is impressive, but I'm not so keen on the number of books for two reasons:

#1 it includes free downloads

#2 in March they announced they had sold over 100 million books. So that's just 30 million in three months - which includes free downloads.

"Sales" seem to be slowing down. Maybe the integration of the iBookstore and iTunes will help. But IMO, when Apple shipped the iPhone and the iPads without the iBooks app, that was a statement of their priorities.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"But IMO, when Apple shipped the iPhone and the iPads without the iBooks app, that was a statement of their priorities."

My iPad-1 had iBooks sitting right on the desktop when I turned it on for the first time. Winnie The Pooh was on the shelf as a complimentary book. I clicked and bought a book, and it appeared on the bookshelf. Don't have an iPhone or iTouch.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
"But IMO, when Apple shipped the iPhone and the iPads without the iBooks app, that was a statement of their priorities."

My iPad-1 had iBooks sitting right on the desktop when I turned it on for the first time. Winnie The Pooh was on the shelf as a complimentary book. I clicked and bought a book, and it appeared on the bookshelf. Don't have an iPhone or iTouch.
I must have that wrong so. Must check that - I'm sure I read something along those lines.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Amazon hasn't released numbers w/r/t e-books sold. So there's no real way to contextualize Apple's sales without knowing how they stack up to the market leader. 

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:

Ok. When did you buy your iPad? I ask because it appears from this article that it wasn't shipped with the first batch in Q1 2010. It was the #1 free downloaded app, so maybe Apple saw the light then.

http://www.cultofmac.com/ibooks-tops-most-popular-free-apps-for-iphone-ipad/61596

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
Dec 2010.
Ok. So I think it's more or less safe to infer that Apple started shipping the iPad with the iBooks app some time between August and December.

Anyway, my point was that their focus has never been on selling books, other than, it seems, to poke Amazon in the eye. I hope that changes now with the integration of the iBookstore into iTunes.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Poke Amazon? These guys are trying to body-slam each other. Amazon, Apple, Google, and WalMart are all dancing around each other.

Apple dominates music, and Amazon is moving in on that
Amazon dominates online merchandising, and Walmart is moving in on that.
Amazon dominates eBooks, and Apple is moving in on that.
Apple dominates tablets, and Google's Android is moving in on that.
Amazon dominates online book sales, and WalMart is moving in on that.

Note WalMart is attacking on two fronts, but is not defending against an attack.

And we're counting down to Apple's June 30 date to see what happens.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
...and Google is moving in on e-books and music, and Amazon will have a tablet out in September, and maybe a phone.

Interesting times for sure.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Amazon will have a tablet out in December ?
That's interesting. It might mean that authors who want to,
can do e-books in color, for sale through Amazon.

Anyone know more about the Amazon tablet ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
Like this. Good summary

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
skyrunner said:
That's interesting. It might mean those of us who are interested, can do books in color for sale through Amazon.

Nothing has been confirmed officially, but Jeff Bezos came pretty close.

Here is one article: http://www.macvideo.tv/encoding/news/index.cfm?newsId=3282845&pagType=samechandate

Rumours are a 7" tablet and a 10" tablet.

Apple are apparently developing a 7" tablet too. Analysts think it could bridge the gap between phone, tablet, and e-reader. Killer device? Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
skyrunner said:
That's interesting. It might mean those of us who are interested, can do books in color for sale through Amazon.

Oh and I think September/October is more likely. Enough time to get buzz in the run up to the holidays.

·
Registered
513 Posts
dgaughran said:
Good article - thanks for the link. Two key points I noticed

Amazon, can sell cut-rate hardware in hopes of making the money back on its music, movie, e-book and app stores.
That explains why the latest Amazon tablet rumors point to such low prices, even when the devices are reportedly
packed with cutting-edge quad-core processors.

Even with Amazon's advantages, an Amazon tablet still needs an answer to a very basic question:
Why would you buy it instead of an iPad?
Good content won't be enough, because Apple already has that. Processing power could be a factor,
but only if it makes for a significantly better experience than the one Apple provides.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
One of the pricing advantages Apple has is the fact that it developed almost everything in the iPad itself. It's not licensing the technology and assembling. It owns it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Terrence OBrien said:
Poke Amazon? These guys are trying to body-slam each other. Amazon, Apple, Google, and WalMart are all dancing around each other.

Note WalMart is attacking on two fronts, but is not defending against an attack.
Well stated. The battle of the titans is approaching. 130M today may not sound like much but it is a beginning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts