Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got my books on the Apple Bookstore through D2D but am thinking of going direct. Is there a way I can contact Apple to ask them to change the books they already have to a direct account? I would upload them again but I understand you have to have a Mac to do it?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'd doubt it as those books are currently under a D2D account with Apple, not yours.  You're probably gonna need to delist and load them up yourself.

And yes, normally you need a Mac to do it, but I believe there are some "rent a mac" services out there that let you commandeer a virtual machine for a fee.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You need a Mac. One of the quirks of Apple is also that they list your tax information name as your publisher, which means unless you have a business license/DBA or corporation, your real name will be listed on your books.

You can't move the books, you'd need to upload them, then delist with D2D. I can't remember if the reviews transfer on Apple or not.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Sarah Aubrey said:
You need a Mac. One of the quirks of Apple is also that they list your tax information name as your publisher, which means unless you have a business license/DBA or corporation, your real name will be listed on your books.

You can't move the books, you'd need to upload them, then delist with D2D. I can't remember if the reviews transfer on Apple or not.
Do you mean just as publisher, or do they insist on listing your legal name as author? Although I'm with D2D right now, who knows what the future brings? It would confuse people to see "Carolyn Rowland" as the author. THat is my legal name but I haven't gone by "Carolyn" since I was 12. I'm Caddy so that's what I write under.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips.

If I rent a virtual mac for a month will I need a mac later to check my sales or make any changes to things like the blurb, price and cover?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Mike Essex said:
Thanks for the tips.
If I rent a virtual mac for a month will I need a mac later to check my sales or make any changes to things like the blurb, price and cover?
Well, I think typically it's more like an hourly thing, although I personally haven't used those services.

Regardless, you can check sales, change prices, update blurbs, and modify the stores you're in from a PC via iTunes Connect. Unless I've missed something, though, cover and new versions of the epub will require use of a Mac again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Caddy said:
Do you mean just as publisher, or do they insist on listing your legal name as author? Although I'm with D2D right now, who knows what the future brings? It would confuse people to see "Carolyn Rowland" as the author. THat is my legal name but I haven't gone by "Carolyn" since I was 12. I'm Caddy so that's what I write under.
Yeah, this is what I'm unsure about, too. I'm thinking about going wide in June, and I'm not sure if I should just use a virtual Mac to go direct to iTunes, or use an aggregator for iTunes and go direct with everyone else. My legal name is nowhere close to my publishing name, and I don't want the two to have anything to do with one another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts