Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a DecalGirl skin for my K2, but am somewhat put off by the prospect of putting the thing on.  I just cannot imagine applying one myself and having it come out looking as good as the ones I have seen.  Can anyone enlighten me on how these are applied, and on just how hard it is to do so?  What happens when it goes wrong?  Any horror stories?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Leslie wrote up an awesome step by step set of instructions when she skinned her first Kindle:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,459.0.html

I know I found them very helpful when I did mine!

Basically, take it slowly, use clean hands, and don't be afraid to reposition things a little as needed. I don't think we've had any real horror stories here on KB; I saw one on the Amazon boards a while back, but it was someone who went too fast, didn't think to read the instructions on the DecalGirl site for skinning other devices (they're all pretty similar), and therefore he got fed up pretty quickly. As long as you follow the instructions above, you'll do fine!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've always had an m-edge cover, but I never saw the point of the skins until I realized just recently how dingy my K1 was getting. I've had her for about 8 mos and she's seen a lot of use. Just about 2 weeks ago, I finally broke down and bought the tropical scene Decalgirl skin. My fine motor skills are not the best and I have absolutely no patience, but it only took me 20 minutes or so to put it on and now she looks so lovely that I wish I'd dressed her sooner.

I'd post a photo, but I'm pretty clueless about how to do that. Believe me, if I could do it, you can too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This all sounds very encouraging - no skill required, no patience required, and very little time required!  I think I can do this...

I gather that the skins are removable, but not very reusable, right?  Once they are removed, do they leave any nasty residue?  Do they stay on well, or do they start to peel off over time?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just make sure to take time with it. It will turn out nicely, trust us! What are you ordering?  :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
wazdakka said:
This all sounds very encouraging - no skill required, no patience required, and very little time required! I think I can do this...

I gather that the skins are removable, but not very reusable, right? Once they are removed, do they leave any nasty residue? Do they stay on well, or do they start to peel off over time?
They stay on very well and leave no residue. They are actually pretty easy to handle when putting it on. It is a heavy enough material that it doesn't crumble up and stick to itself. It is sticky enought to adhere but not so sticky that you can't reposition it. Just be careful not to pull too hard and stretch it. Have fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Non handy person with big fingers, no problemo, even did it after three nice glasses of Oregon Pinot Noir.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
wazdakka said:
This all sounds very encouraging - no skill required, no patience required, and very little time required! I think I can do this...

I gather that the skins are removable, but not very reusable, right? Once they are removed, do they leave any nasty residue? Do they stay on well, or do they start to peel off over time?
The skins I have had don't peel off at all. They are incredibly durable and well-sticking. When you do take them off, however, they don't leave a residue (this applies to decalgirl, the only brand I have bought).

As for re-use: the skins I have taken off have not been reusable. Of course, I was mostly focused on getting them off. There is at least one person here who took the skin off very very slowly, put it back on the backing sheet it came on and blew hot air from a hair dryer on it. She said that it was definitely reusable. Me? I'm not that patient.

L

·
Registered
40 Posts
wazdakka said:

I was wondering that same thing. Since I purchased six skins, I wanted to be able to re-use them. You CAN do it, IF you are careful when removing it. It will be stretched out and wrinkled a bit, but just put it on the original backing that it came on. Then take a blow dryer on low heat, and for about ten seconds pass it over the skin. It will shrink right back into its original shape and looks great! Just leave it on the backing until you want to use it again.

The blow dryer trick even helped me out a few times when I had to re-apply the skin several times because I wasn't satisfied with a particular area. Because I reapplied it such many times, it began to stretch. I just took the blow drier to it for a few seconds and it went right back into shape.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Leslie said:
As for re-use: the skins I have taken off have not been reusable. Of course, I was mostly focused on getting them off. There is at least one person here who took the skin off very very slowly, put it back on the backing sheet it came on and blew hot air from a hair dryer on it. She said that it was definitely reusable. Me? I'm not that patient.

L
Yes, that was me, Leslie! I was the one who posted that question on the boards and decided to try the blow drier. Actually, it doesn't take too much patience (because if it did, I definitely would not have given in a second try!).
Just don't RIP it off, but be a little careful. If it wrinkles, take the drier to it and watch it shrink back in a few seconds. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
wazdakka said:
I have been considering a DecalGirl skin for my K2, but am somewhat put off by the prospect of putting the thing on. I just cannot imagine applying one myself and having it come out looking as good as the ones I have seen. Can anyone enlighten me on how these are applied, and on just how hard it is to do so? What happens when it goes wrong? Any horror stories?

Thanks,

Dan
If you want to see how they go on, you can go to youtube and search for decalgirl - I don't think there are any demos of Kindles, but you can see people putting them on laptops, iPods, iPhones, etc. The trickiest part is getting it around the keys, but honestly, it's all pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Meemo said:
If you want to see how they go on, you can go to youtube and search for decalgirl - I don't think there are any demos of Kindles, but you can see people putting them on laptops, iPods, iPhones, etc. The trickiest part is getting it around the keys, but honestly, it's all pretty easy.
Someone here made a video of skinning his Kindle. Of course...who it was and where the link is...sigh...maybe someone here has a better memory than me.

L

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds great.  Thanks for all the help everyone.  Now all I need to do is decide which one I want.  The "busy" patterns and design seem like they would be distracting, so I am leaning toward one of the landscape pictures.  The lone tree - "Stand Alone" - is the one I am currently thinking about.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Dan,

I received my Stand Alone skin Saturday, but haven't tried to put it on my Kindle 2 yet. Yesterday was a very busy day, and I'm taking some cold meds, so decided to wait until I have more time and a steadier hand.

As for the appearance of the skin, I was afraid that it might clash with my green World Tree Oberon cover, but I think they will be ok together. The skin is absolutely beautiful (as is the cover). I thought the blue might be a bit too bright, but it really seems to be perfect. (I hope I don't feel differently about it once it's in place. I don't see why I would dislike it then.)

Good luck with your skin!

Cindy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Applying the decalgirl skins are easy peasy- just take it slowwwww. As yes- I've tried the hair dryer trick too!

As for not liking how the skin looks on the kindle- it's kinda like when you paint your room a new color. You have to live with it for a few days before you can really decide if you like it or not. I know many kindle owners who didn't like the skin when they put it on but after a few days- they couldn't imagine their kindle naked again!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
What did you use to clean your Kindle before applying the skins? My Kindle is only a week old, but I know that I need to be sure it's oil-free. Is a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth ok? I know that I wouldn't let this seep between the buttons, nor would I want to get it on my screen. Thanks for any suggestions!

Cindy

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I've switched out my skins with no problem. The hair-dryer works very, very well for over stretched skins, even if it's still on the Kindle.

As for applying it, the trick is to start at the bottom and get them lined up on the keyboard and then the rest goes right on. Take your time on the buttons, don't be afraid to take them off and reposition them if they're not right the first time. I even stretch them a little to show less of the white (not for the faint hearted) For the back, line the bottom of the skin up with the speaker holes. The skin should just be barely touching them.
'
I can't have a naked Kindle. The bright white is way too distracting. I was demo-ing my manager's new Kindle for her last night (and I kept telling her, "I have got to get you a skin!").. So now I'm on the hunt for a skin to go with the Fuschia M-Edge thats not too busy.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Cindy416 said:
What did you use to clean your Kindle before applying the skins? My Kindle is only a week old, but I know that I need to be sure it's oil-free. Is a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth ok? I know that I wouldn't let this seep between the buttons, nor would I want to get it on my screen. Thanks for any suggestions!

Cindy
I'd had my K2 for nearly three weeks before I added a skin. All it took was a plain, dry, microfiber cloth. No issues applying the skin. And for comparison, my iPhone is always covered in fingerprints a minute after I clean it, so I KNOW there were prints & oils on the K2. A good microfiber cloth (I use a fine weave meant for lens cleaning) is invaluable around electronics of any kind.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just had to report back that I was able to successfully put a skin on both my iPhone and my Kindle. The iPhone skin is "Orient," and my Kindle 2 is now wearing "Stand Alone." Both are beautiful, but the "Stand Alone" skin is really lovely, as it gives my Kindle a very tranquil feel and appearance, and provides a nice contrast with the text. Although I was a bit worried about how my "World Tree" Oberon cover (green) would go with the skin that I chose, I needn't have worried. It's beautiful, and the cover and skin aren't viewed at the same time, but there'd be no real clash of colors if they were seen together. Thanks for your hints in answer to my earlier question.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts