Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MichelleR said:

People gravitate to places and things that remind them of their own names -- they feel an affinity for them. A guy named Dennis is more likely to be a dentist and marry a woman named Denise and, I dunno, cheat on her with Della from Dellaware. If someone with a similar name to your own asks you to take a survey, you're more likely to agree, but if someone asks you why you agreed, you probably won't realize the name was a factor.
There is a proctologist in Humble, TX by the name of Butts. Seriously! :)

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
The milkman in the town where my father grew up was named Teets.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
I used to share an apartment with an oboe player whose name was Electra Reed.

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
Folks I'm going to move the last bit of this thread down to Not Quite Kindle. . . .it's morphed from Kindlette's into "Aptonyms". . . .which is great. . . .keep going. . .I bet we can find lots of them!

Thanks for understanding!

(Ann)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The pediatrician my children went to was Dr. Balls. His first name was Flamen. I'll let you put it together. ;D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Folks I'm going to move the last bit of this thread down to Not Quite Kindle. . . .it's morphed from Kindlette's into "Aptonyms". . . .which is great. . . .keep going. . .I bet we can find lots of them!

Thanks for understanding!

(Ann)
Thanks Ann! I was beginning to feel a bit guilty that the thread was being hyjacked! ;) Of course, I was also VERY surprised when I clicked on Show new replies to your posts and discovered I had started a new thread!! :) I knew I was half asleep when I made my last couple of posts last night (this morning), but I just sat there and stared at the screen for a moment with my mind completely blank!! ;D

I can't wait to see more of these Aptonmyns! (I never knew they were called that)

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
My music teacher in elementary school was Dan Major, or as I thought of him: "D-major".

The first Anglican minister in the town I grew up in was Reverend Good.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Aptonym is my new word of the day!  I haven't looked it up yet, is it related to the name being "apt" for the profession?  My veterinarian's name is  Dr. Doggett and her partner is Dr. Pound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only one I think can think of is there is an equine vet in Tomball, Texas named Dr. Hay and I always thought that he should put the slogan "Hay is for Horses" on his business cards.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Noun

aptonym (plural aptonyms)

A proper name that aptly describes the occupation of the person, especially by coincidence.
"Cutter & Sons, Butchers" and "Dr. Childer, Pediatrician" are examples of aptonyms.

New Scientist magazine coined the terms "nominative determinism" or "aptonyms" to describe the phenomenon of people whose names reflect their jobs - or rather, who end up working in areas that reflect their names (hence the "determinism"!).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts