Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will he pick Betty or Veronica? I'm rooting for Betty myself, but he seems so into Veronica right now.

A brief blurb from http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30846812/?gt1=43001

Finally, Archie will pick either Betty or Veronica
Comics' perpetual teen will propose in an upcoming issue -- but to whom?

By Mike Celizic
TODAY books
updated 11:54 a.m. ET, Wed., May 20, 2009

The worldwide financial collapse was a Sunday school picnic compared
to this. Come August, civilization as we know it is coming to an end:
Archie Andrews is getting married.

You read that right. After 68 years of keeping not one, but two high
school hotties on a string, comics' most successful player is getting
hitched (even the supposedly invulnerable Superman succumbed to
Cupid's arrow and let Lois Lane drag him up the aisle back in 1996).
Is nothing sacred?

- http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30846812/?gt1=43001]Click here to read the rest of the article...[/url]

Note: I originally posted the entire article, but I've since shortened it to the brief blurb you see above because NYCKindleFan posted some concerns about copyright issues and I thought it wise to err on the side of caution just in case.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Maybe he proposes to Veronica, but realizes he made a huge mistake. Then, he ends up with Betty.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Archie must be 85 years old!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Put me in the Betty camp too. It would be just wrong if it was Veronica.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
MichelleR said:
Maybe he proposes to Veronica, but realizes he made a huge mistake. Then, he ends up with Betty.
And Veronica goes on Dances with the Stars and almost wins.
;D

Betsy

A

·
0 Posts
Not trying to be mean or anything but as a writer I just had to speak up. Please don't copy and paste entire articles. It's considered copyright infringment and hurts writers. The proper thing to do is to post a link and a brief blurb.

That said, I've been an Archie fan since childhood and I'm looking forward to this! :)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NYCKindleFan said:
Not trying to be mean or anything but as a writer I just had to speak up. Please don't copy and paste entire articles. It's considered copyright infringment and hurts writers. The proper thing to do is to post a link and a brief blurb.

That said, I've been an Archie fan since childhood and I'm looking forward to this! :)
I don't want to argue, but I fail to see how it hurts the writer in this case.

1) Does he get money from every click to the website? Doubtful.

2) What hurts a writer IMO is not being read. If I had posted a blurb and a link, not everyone would've clicked to read the entire piece. In this instance, more people are likely to read his entire article. Of course, this argument only works for websites. I'd never argue the same for books, because that's a different beast altogether.

3) I fail to see how this is copyright infringement in any way. If I had removed the author's name and the link, and taken credit for writing the piece myself, then yes. But it's properly attributed and linked to. I'll admit, however, that I am not an expert on the finer points of copyright law.

With all of that said, just to err on the side of caution, I went ahead and shortened my original post.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm not trying to argue either, and I've come to expect nasty and/or defensive responses no matter how nicely I word it, but I'm just looking out for my fellow writers. If you look closely at most sites you'll see something like this:

This site is owned and operated by MSNBC Interactive News LLC (“MSNBC.com”) and contains material which is derived in whole or in part from material supplied by MSNBC, NBC, The Associated Press, Reuters and other sources. The material on this site is protected by international copyright and trademark laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way any material from this site including code and software without express permission from MSNBC or as permitted in Reprint Requests.

or this:

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio, and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

I don't make the rules and I'm not the bad guy here. As I said I was just looking out for my fellow writers. I'll shut up now.

Looking forward to seeing who Archie proposes to,

Sue

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Yet you can email articles from websites, including MSNBC either by using their email button, copying the url into an email or by copying and pasting the article (leaving in web source and author's name, of course).  All of those methods are in effect copying and pasting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts