Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I published a fitness ebook on Amazon about four years ago. I'm in the process of updating the ebook. Back then, images with a PPI of 72 were allowed. The KDP guidelines aren't clear as to whether 72 PPI is still allowed.

What types of images are allowed these days? Must I upgrade all images to 300 PPI, or will the 72 PPI images be allowed?

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
For ebook 72 is fine. For print 300 or above is recommended.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, CassieL and Gessert Books!  :)

What about the dimensions of my images?

Currently, most of my images are approximately 600 pixels in width.

I have several images, so I have to keep them small so as to minimize the ebook's file size.

Is 600 pixels too small these days?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It depends on the material. Line art diagrams or images that include text will want a lot more than e.g. a color photo of a vegetable. My advice, load it up on your computer, zoom in as much as you think a reader would, then double that. If the image can still be understood, you’re probably ok.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
PPI is irrelevant for ebooks. It's about pixels because the density will be determined by the screen resolution of the device. The recommendation is 2,560 x 1,600 and the minimum per Amazon is 1000x625. I don't particularly worry too much about ebook covers being high resolution because mostly people don't see them at full resolution. A lot of ebooks I get from Overdrive don't even have graphic covers.

For print, you want 300ppi, the size of the image in pixels would be determined by the size of your cover 300 x size in inches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both your your replies!  ;D

"PPI is irrelevant for ebooks."

I understand that PPI is relevant only for print and denotes the number of pixels per inch and therefore the resolution. But does PPI matter for ebooks when people zoom in to the image?

When I zoom in to some of my small (500-pixel) images, they look blurry. Do I fix this by enhancing their PPI or increasing their pixel dimensions?

I really appreciate your help, guys!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
A few months back I went down the rabbit hole on all of this but it was painful and confusing so I've blanked most of it out. But one of my big takeaways, because I was using screenshots from my computer, was that I needed a higher resolution monitor than I had if I wanted to actually get the image quality I needed. Taking the same screenshots I'd been using before but on that better monitor definitely increased the quality of the images in both my ebook and print books. So basically, it comes down to what you start with and how good a quality that starting image is.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Edward Lord said:
Thank you both your your replies! ;D

"PPI is irrelevant for ebooks."

I understand that PPI is relevant only for print and denotes the number of pixels per inch and therefore the resolution. But does PPI matter for ebooks when people zoom in to the image?

When I zoom in to some of my small (500-pixel) images, they look blurry. Do I fix this by enhancing their PPI or increasing their pixel dimensions?

I really appreciate your help, guys!
Dimensions. WRT anything digital, ppi is a semi-decent shorthand for "big vs small", but ultimately you still have to see if the images make sense on zoom or on low res device. What sorts of images are these?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Image size counts in your data transfer fee charge for ebook sales, at least used to when I dug into sales data more often. Higher word count books and books with more images/larger covers cost you more to sell. Storage space and data transfer costs for Amazon are 'charged back' to the author. Perhaps it's changed.

If you sell only a few books it's no big deal you'll never notice the problem ... but the million unit sales books had surprisingly large accumulated data fees. You never know if your slow selling book today might take off tomorrow and sell a million units leaving you sitting there thinking you could have $5,000 more in your account if your cover image were just a wee bit smaller. I'm sure you can find old threads if you search.

So just be careful in just flopping down the largest image your graphics program can output.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My images concern muscles and exercises.

The question is, when I zoom in to some of my small (500-pixel) images, they look blurry. Do I fix this by enhancing their PPI or increasing their pixel dimensions?

If anyone knows the answer, I'll be grateful.  :D

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Edward Lord said:
The question is, when I zoom in to some of my small (500-pixel) images, they look blurry. Do I fix this by enhancing their PPI or increasing their pixel dimensions?
Pixel dimension. And to be clear, if the originals are 500 pixels, enlarging them in Photoshop (or whatever) isn't going to help. You need originals that have sufficient pixels to start.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Edward Lord said:
My images concern muscles and exercises.

If anyone knows the answer, I'll be grateful. :D
Personally, I would not worry too much about that sort of image; because they generally read ok even if a bit blurry, and even a high-res image will look blurry if you zoom enough. I think you'll have diminishing returns compared against delivery costs, unless you think the images are so low-res that someone might hurt themselves due to improper form. Perhaps you can post one.

Edit: I took a look at the Look Inside for the book in your sig, and if that's the book, I walk my comment back. Quite a few look to include text labels, and some quite a lot of them, and text suffers a lot from low resolution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all very much for your assistance, especially you, Gessert books.

According to KDP Support, even 72-PPI images are still accepted. Therefore, I have decided to increase the images' pixel dimensions a little but not their resolutions, because resolution is only important for print.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts