Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if I step on any toes with this post, I apologize.  I've only been here a month and only have an inkling of some of the conflicts that have been on KB in the past, not enough to know the full story.

Twice this month I've seen and joined chat sessions.  I had the impression that more people would like to chat every once in a while, just for fun  --  a real-time version of some of the less-serious threads, perhaps  --  but nobody knows when anyone else might be available, so no connections are made.  But there were also events on chat (or some participants) that may have turned some people off to the idea completely, at least for a while.

Would it be out of line to propose a regular day and time for chats?  If there were a fixed time, say every Saturday night, more people might join in  --  not every time, but at least occasionally, once a month or so.  It would have to be a longish time framework to give people across the time zones a chance to participate, like maybe from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Eastern time.   

Mods, if there are circumstances I'm unaware of that make this a really bad idea, I'm sorry to complicate your jobs!  Otherwise, does anyone have any interest/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think this is good idea. I don't think it need to be fix like that but if we know at least on Saturday night of that time someone will be in chat room, we can look forward to it and join.  :D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Chats are not a sensitive topic. It is open 24/7.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pidgeon92 said:
Chats are not a sensitive topic. It is open 24/7.
Thanks. I understand that it's always available... I just found it surprising that the feature was not used more, and got the impression that it used to be, and maybe some events or some specific discussions turned people off it. So I wondered whether new interest could be generated.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
We've had a some scheduled chats, usually connected to a book club, once we had an 'Oscar' party, and a couple of times it was 'just because'.  If you want to chat with folks you can log in to chat and wait for someone.  It will show at the top of the board if someone is there.  Or (or maybe also) post a quick message to the board that you want to do some real time chatting. 

You are correct, however, in that, when chat was first implemented, there were a few members who 'took it over' and made other folks uncomfortable.  That's no longer an issue, though and is really old news, water under the bridge, so last year, etc.  So, have at it!  There is no designated moderator for chats, but transcripts are automatically logged so the usual forum decorum rules DO apply!

Personally, I'm not much of a chatter. . .don't know why, just am not. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I think the nice weather might be part of the reason.  Since it doesn't get dark as early people can be outside instead of being online. 

deb

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
In Jan, feb, and march, chat had its regulars, but they kinda disappear right as their k2s came in.
That explains it!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ann in Arlington said:
That's no longer an issue, though and is really old news, water under the bridge, so last year, etc.

Personally, I'm not much of a chatter. . .don't know why, just am not. . . .
Thanks, Ann. I was picking up something about old reluctance/resentment, and thought maybe all it would take is a fresh start.

I'm not someone who hangs out in chat rooms regularly either, but once every month or two it's fun to continue some chatty thread that way. Usually real-world things do take precedence, though. :D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drenee said:
I think the nice weather might be part of the reason. Since it doesn't get dark as early people can be outside instead of being online.

deb
At least until mosquito season. :eek:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Thanks, Ann. I was picking up something about old reluctance/resentment, and thought maybe all it would take is a fresh start.

I'm not someone who hangs out in chat rooms regularly either, but once every month or two it's fun to continue some chatty thread that way. Usually real-world things do take precedence, though. :D
There were a few of us in last night. It was my first time. I think just keeping up with the threads keeps you busy. Also, you can come and go when reading threads. I'm doing laundry right now and it is hard to do a chat when I'm coming and going. I would be open to a scheduled chat time. I enjoyed last night.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I really enjoy dropping in here when I have an extra minute to see what people are saying and perhaps add something, but I rarely have the kind of free time required to enter a chat conversation. I also have a lot of trouble typing because my eyes are drawn to the new entries and I end up with more typos than usual. (Which is saying a lot, if you're familiar with my usually bad typing.  :D)

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I also find this an interesting feature, but can seldom guarantee my availability at a precise time.

That is why the posting to these threads is so appealing.
One can do so and have instantaneous response because others are also online at the same time and reading that thread, or.....responses can come quite a while later.

But it is cool to have all the options available, including Private Messaging.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I certainly understand that sometimes time is too short to settle in for a chat. And starting next month, those of use with school-aged kids will have even less time available. :eek:

But it does sound as though there'd be some interest....

Maybe a more-or-less regular "meeting" time will catch on. Can't hurt to try.

So how about Saturday nights, 10 p.m. Eastern, until whenever the West Coasters get tired?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I'll try to join in for a while.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I will even try to join you.
If Susan and Intinst are going to do this, I will be fun.
And if Jeff joins in (please say you will try) then it will be great.
And Sailor, And Anju and, and, and, well cool beans.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Neversleepsawink;) said:
Count me in :) Maybe a reminder can be sent with a PM. :)
Just for you, Neversleeps! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts