Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Vellum Publishing Inc, we've noticed that the Tooth Fairy Legend book continues to sell quite well which must mean more kids are reading on Kindle.  We even got an email at www.newkindlebooks.com from a little girl asking us to publish more children's books.  And it got us to wondering, so we thought we'd ask: Are more kids reading on the Kindle, and do you read with them?  If so, Vellum Publishing thinks it's great!  ;D  With the dictionary at their finger tips to look up unknown words, it's a fabulous way for kids to build reading skills, plus positive reading time together with an adult.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i curl up on the couch with my daughter and read together...me with my kindle and her with her book...she has asked to load books on my kindle for her as well..she is 10...my son at the age of 2 recognizes the kindle and says its " mommies book "...he will sit with my daughter and i when the mood strikes his toddler attention span...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Vellum Publishing Inc said:
At Vellum Publishing Inc, we've noticed that the Tooth Fairy Legend book continues to sell quite well which must mean more kids are reading on Kindle. We even got an email at www.newkindlebooks.com from a little girl asking us to publish more children's books. And it got us to wondering, so we thought we'd ask: Are more kids reading on the Kindle, and do you read with them? If so, Vellum Publishing thinks it's great! ;D With the dictionary at their finger tips to look up unknown words, it's a fabulous way for kids to build reading skills, plus positive reading time together with an adult.
My kids don't read on my Kindle at this time. They are 8, 6, and 4. I do read to them from my Kindle. Right now, I am reading my 6 year old "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and my 8 year old actually is reading Beautiful Joe: Autobiography of a Dog which I "bought" (it's free) for my Kindle, but he's reading it on his iPod Touch, on which I put the Kindle app. :) So he reads Kindle books independently, on his iPod.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL, I don't want to share my Kindle with DD :p A while back a bunch of us had mentioned that we'd snap up a kid friendly Kindle without thinking. I would love to buy one for my daughter as she loves reading just as much as I do. As for now, I haven't purchased any titles for children other than Night Camp by LC Evans which I purchased for myself ;-)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I so share my kindle with my 6 yr old daughter. She's just learning to read and I'll do almost anything to foster that. I let her search for books on amazon and download a few with permission. She has downloaded and read a couple of Junie B Jones books and she just finished reading Mouse Soup which she really loved.

Melissa

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My daughter and 6 yro grandson are reading The Chronicles of Narnia one chapter at a time each night before bed. They started out with the DTV of the books until they left the one they were reading at my house during spring break. Jen downloaded the missing book when they got home and has since downloaded them all and they are continuing on the K.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My daughter is 9 and an avid reader, but I'm not sure I trust her with a kindle yet - she reads on the school bus and carries books everywhere so it would be too risky.
We read together but she reads a lot on her own so, so far I haven't d/l anything onto the Kindle for her because they would mean lending mine to her & then *I* have nothing to read.
I may get her one in the next year or so.

My son is 12. He'd like one just because some of his friends have e-readers, but getting him to read is like pulling teeth so not worth the $$.  Given that some of his friends have them, I'd say it might catch on in that age group, and at that age, you'd hope they can take care of them.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have dnl'd several kids books, including chapter books to my K.  So far, neither of my grandkids (10 & 5) show any interest.  The 10 year old is an avid reader, but he's just not interested. 

·
Registered
338 Posts
danfan said:
My son is 12. He'd like one just because some of his friends have e-readers, but getting him to read is like pulling teeth so not worth the $$. Given that some of his friends have them, I'd say it might catch on in that age group, and at that age, you'd hope they can take care of them.
Maybe the Kindle would inspire him to want to read more? (But realistically, I know the feeling - they really, really think they want the hot new item, but you know that once they get it, it will be sitting on a shelf after a week.)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Mine certainly would if I let her! I've had my K2 for a little over a month, and my six-year-old just saw it yesterday. Predictably, she wants to read it herself, which is why I kept it out of sight for a while. Since yesterday I've downloaded four children's books which she already owns in paper versions but thought it would be cool to read together on the Kindle. Problem is, she really wants to use it by herself now. And she's not intentionally destructive but she's SIX. When oh when are they going to come out with a sturdy kid-friendly version....

OTOH it may be a bit like letting kids use email before they can write smoothly by hand. I think with kids it would be even more important to be aware that e-readers don't replace books, they're just a different way of reading.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've wondered about this as well, but I wasn't really picturing elementary kids. I envisioned middle school or high school aged kids. I only thought that because kids that age seem to be so high tech and into things like this. Much to my surprise, I hear more about older people with them, probably because they can increase the text size for easier reading.

At my YMCA, I'm in a biking class. Some family members wait outside for the class to end. One retiree brings her Kindle to read. The instructor's son (age 9 or so) thinks it's really cool and sits by her while she reads. Eventually, she brought her husband's Kindle and she reads one book on hers while the boy reads his book on her husband's.

I don't think we'll get a very clear picture until a few more years go by and trends start to emerge.

·
Registered
321 Posts
VondaZ said:
Maybe the Kindle would inspire him to want to read more? (But realistically, I know the feeling - they really, really think they want the hot new item, but you know that once they get it, it will be sitting on a shelf after a week.)
I've toyed with that idea, but really he dislikes reading. Best I've managed so far is to get him to read National Geographic for Kids, and I've tried every genre I can think of but he gets a chapter in and then it's a fight. Maybe, if I can bear to part with it, I'll let him trying reading a book on mine & if he can get through it, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 11 year old DD is saving her money to buy her own Kindle, she can't wait!  She's into heavy chapter books, there seems to be a fair selection for her to choose from.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
This is an interesting thread. About five years ago, I read reports that electronic readers wouldn't catch on with the adults, especially when it came to reading fiction, and that ebooks would only appeal to the kids who grew up with all the electronic gagetry they enjoy today. Boy, were those people wrong.  ::)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm pretty confident that any device that satisfies a need, offers convenience, and is priced correctly, is likely to do well and to "catch on". I'm also pretty confident that the Kindle, or eBook readers in general since the Kindle isn't released globally yet, will become quite popular for school kids and college students in the years to come, since they will eliminate the need to carry heavy text books all day. I don't think the Kindle is quite there yet, however, even with the DX. Scribbling notes with a pen is still far easier and faster to do than using the Kindle's keyboard to make notes. But it's something to aim for, and probably not too far away.

As for more kids simply reading for enjoyment on a Kindle, I think that will be a direct consequence of using eBook readers in schools. I don't think we'll see an adoption rate anywhere near as large as the iPod, since paper books aren't going away and I'd guess there's a higher population of kids who listen to music than read, but I'm certain the Kindle and other eBook readers will become more popular over the coming years, as more people become aware of their existence.

For everywhere outside the US where the Kindle isn't available, eBook readers are a mess, and until formats are standardised, DRM is sorted out, and more places sell content for them, kids (or anyone for that matter) definitely aren't gonna be choosing them over good old-fashioned reliable paper books.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My kids all have at least one book on my Kindle at one time. My 12 year old reads a lot things I read so she has a lot more. :) If there were parental controls all of my kids would have their own Kindles.

I do think there needs to be more children's literature available on the Kindle. There's some, but not a lot and there are gaps in certain age groups and fewer books for boys than there are for girls but that seems true with youth fiction in general. Unless he likes science fiction and/or fantasy and many boys (and girls too!) don't.

My first grader is a better reader than my fourth grader. She will read anything she finds and can read just about anything she finds. She read Harry Potter - all six volumes in Kindergarten. She's the big reason I want parental controls because there are way too many things a 6 year old should not be reading.

All the kids have ipods and DSes and do well with them. So far (knock on wood) we've had no casualties. DH and I are the only ones who drop and break our cell phones, lap tops and ipods. For this reason I think they'd do well with a Kindle - not K1 but K2, it seems more sturdy. ;) But I doubt they'll get them for many years because I don't see Amazon adding parental controls.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
knowldgfrk said:
i curl up on the couch with my daughter and read together...me with my kindle and her with her book...she has asked to load books on my kindle for her as well..she is 10...my son at the age of 2 recognizes the kindle and says its " mommies book "...he will sit with my daughter and i when the mood strikes his toddler attention span...
That is awesome

1 - 20 of 26 Posts