Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love for a few readers and writers to check out my latest blog post (and previous ones for that matter) at http://www.elizabethfisherauthor.com/#!blog/c112v. I put a lot of time into these blogs, keeping them short and hopefully humorous and informational. The question I keep asking myself is am I doing this blog-stuff right? In case you haven't guessed, I'm pretty much a babe in the woods when it comes to being an author and promoting my book through social media - LOL!

Elizabeth Fisher,
Author of Curse Me Not

·
Registered
177 Posts
Although your blog does seem interesting, the website is making it difficult to read. Wix's pseudo-pages are notoriously slow. If users can't read what you have to say because their scroll bar isn't moving smoothly or if it loads slower than other sites, they may not stay on the blog posts for long.

Did you make this yourself? If so, I suggest removing the fade from page to page as well as any kind of animations (like where the covers fly in on the Book page and the images that fade onto the page). The same might apply to the automatic slideshows. These features are normally fine when designed properly, but the way Wix codes them nowadays can be rough on user computers. If you didn't make it, I suggest passing that information along to whoever did and getting it cleaned up.

tl;dr - Your site may be a bit too slow compared to the average blog. I suggest taking some of the flashy stuff out to ensure those with a slower connection/etc can use it well.

(edited for clarity)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I like your blog very much. I've bookmarked it so that I can explore at leisure. I liked the post about curses. My mom told me that my Italian grandmother used to make a V with her fingers and spit through it if she thought someone was giving her the evil eye. LOL Luckily, I never had to go out and about with her. I would have died.  :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
@JeanneM: Could be. I did check in the latest versions of Chrome and IE, both with and without extensions enabled. What browser are you using? And did you navigate to the other heading pages?

The lag may not be noticeable for everyone (lots of variables here lol). All I know is that I've seen the same problem with a lot of Wix pages across all the computers I've been on, as well as that it's a really common complaint. At least it's usually fine after the initial load.

(I'm just concerned those who are used to faster websites could be turned off, which should never be an issue with how easy it is to fix :3)

@Elizabeth: I want to say that I did read your blog posts and that your writing style is super engaging. I think you're doing great!

·
Registered
641 Posts
JeanneM: You had me on the floor with the "spitting through the V"

Hilarious stuff. Never heard of it.
Learn something new every day.  :D

Thanks for that.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Holland, I have Firefox which is usually really annoying with all the script errors and freezing, but it behaved well on that site today. :)

Kirkee, If you think that was funny, my mom also told me that Mama Bianca had a gold pendant of a closed fist with the index finger and little finger sticking up (like the heavy metal headbanger salute) which she had on a chain, and if she felt she had to ward off the evil eye, she would pick it up and point it in the direction of the offending person who may or may not have been giving her a dirty look. I think at that point, my Mom was starting to worry about marrying into an Italian family. LOL

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I opened four posts. I'll be brutally honest: I was more or less bored by the first two, skimmed the third and read the fourth because the title caught my attention since my debut novel is also set in Knoxville o_o.
The Knoxville post was very fun! The rest were boring and felt more like a sales pitch.

But damn you described Knoxville incredibly well! And yes, those are some of the very reasons I'm writing about Knoxville, TN. lol :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
OK, I wasn't going to look, but since I graduated from UT Knoxville, now I have to go look...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Arshness said:
I opened four posts. I'll be brutally honest: I was more or less bored by the first two, skimmed the third and read the fourth because the title caught my attention since my debut novel is also set in Knoxville o_o.
The Knoxville post was very fun! The rest were boring and felt more like a sales pitch.

But damn you described Knoxville incredibly well! And yes, those are some of the very reasons I'm writing about Knoxville, TN. lol :)
I'll be darned - an old friend of mine just moved from Roswell to Knoxville! I'll have to gift him your book when it's published! (Sorry for hijacking the thread...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts