Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
9MMare said:
When you download samples, do they stay on your K indefinitely or do they have a time limit?

Thanks
Nope they're there forever. . . . .of course, if you have to do a factory reset they'll be deleted. And they won't be able to be easily re-downloaded as your books are since they're not part of your archive. So you'd just have to go get them again from the book's product page.

You'd have the same problem if your Kindle fails and you have to get a replacement, or just buy a new one. But it's also worth noting that the samples do NOT have DRM, so you can back them up on your home computer and then re-load them to a different device. For me, it's easier to just keep a list of what samples I have and if I need to I can go re-sample.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You'd have the same problem if your Kindle fails and you have to get a replacement, or just buy a new one
Yeah, but that's kind of a blessing. My Kindle is clogged with samples of books I once thought I'd want to read - long, long ago. It's kind of nice to start with a new device, and to say good-bye to "yesterday's samples." :)

Having said that, there are some samples which are nice and long, and which I keep going back to as I flit from book to book. So the first thing I did when I got my newest Kindle was to re-download those samples!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I like keeping my big folder of samples.  It's essentially just my list of books I've heard about and thought I might be interested in reading someday.

Though I suppose I could use goodreads to-be-read list for that--I did go in and list all the samples I had in there when I set up my account a while back.  But I'm not sure I'll stick with it as the site hasn't really captured my interest much in general.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
Yeah, but that's kind of a blessing. My Kindle is clogged with samples of books I once thought I'd want to read - long, long ago. It's kind of nice to start with a new device, and to say good-bye to "yesterday's samples." :)
I know what you mean. . . .I did that too when I switched from my K1 to my K3. . . .I had in mind to read them all and decide what I wanted to buy but pretty quickly decided to just not worry about an awful lot of them. I have enough whole books to last several years and decided I didn't need to keep all those samples too. So I mostly started fresh. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea, I have a habit of downloading samples and not reading them right away so it's a good thing they're forever.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I would note that the samples may last forever, but the price may change or the book even be removed from Amazon' sales list, so be sure and check before clicking that BUY button.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
intinst said:
I would note that the samples may last forever, but the price may change or the book even be removed from Amazon' sales list, so be sure and check before clicking that BUY button.
Sage advice there. I always click the link to go to the product page and check the price rather than just hitting the buy button. More often I just check on my laptop so I can make sure it doesn't cost more than the print version.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They're free too.

I have a collection on my Kindle for samples, I too will go to the book description and check the price first.

I like this because I have found some of the books I wanted had dropped in price, some by quite a bit.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Dr. Laurence Brown said:
Yea, I have a habit of downloading samples and not reading them right away so it's a good thing they're forever.
I fear I do the same thing. I like the idea of putting them all in one folder, but I don't use folders yet.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Organizing my Kindle books and samples is one of the best things about having a Kindle, if you're slightly obsessive like I am :)  So I have a Samples collection.

I do have a sample question, though. When I went to order one of the books from the sample, I didn't recall the price, so I chose to go to the web page (on the Kindle via wireless), but once there I couldn't find the price listed. Am I missing something, or does the web browser somehow access Amazon pages without prices?

·
Registered
5 Posts
To jump into the discussion on checking prices before buying, I would definitely recommend this. Sometimes you may download a sample that is discounted for a brief time and when you decide to buy, the book could be regular price again. It is super convenient to just click "Buy" on the Kindle, but it's worth the effort to check the price!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well I looked at a few pages for samples on my Kindle yesterday and the price was clearly listed, so either I had a glitch or I was temporarily brain-dead. Happy to have my brain back, anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I never thought about it, but you're right. I have some samples of some books I never purchased. I should probably delete them just in case.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mooshie78 said:
I like keeping my big folder of samples. It's essentially just my list of books I've heard about and thought I might be interested in reading someday.

Though I suppose I could use goodreads to-be-read list for that--I did go in and list all the samples I had in there when I set up my account a while back. But I'm not sure I'll stick with it as the site hasn't really captured my interest much in general.
Same here. I use GoodReads to review and mark books as I read them, but using it as a to-be-read list just wouldn't work for me. It's so handy to have the samples on my Kindle. Anything that sounds remotely as if I might enjoy reading it, I get a sample. I did cull some out the other day, as I saw a few that made wonder, "What was I thinking? I'll never read that!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts