Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPhone and should be getting my Kindle 2 on Friday....the only question I have *now* (while waiting for my delivery--I'm sure there will be more!) is.....do the K2 and the iPhone work in harmony together? Meaning, if I am reading a book on my iPhone kindle will the same bookmark I place there be bookmarked on my K2 when I start to read again from it?

Hope that made sense! ???
Thanks very much!
~Lynn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really??? I didn't think that having both was anomaly! I recently downloaded the Kindle on my phone, liked it so much that I decided I wanted the K2 (and having a larger screen--when one is 4.5 years away from 50 the eyes aren't what they once were!) :-[

I hope I can switch back and forth...that would be great! But, there are worse things in life, right?  :D

Thanks for the welcome!--glad to be here!
~Lynn

PS: Ha ha...no I don't work for AIG...I'm actually on the complete other side of the spectrum--a glass bead artist!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
I happen to have both of those must-have gadgets, too. :)

Leslie does as well, and wrote this review of the iPhone Kindle app: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4954.0.html

They actually work quite well together, in terms of allowing you to direct downloads to one device and/or the other, and to sync your reading position between those.

·
Registered
737 Posts
K2Lynn said:
Really??? I didn't think that having both was anomaly! I recently downloaded the Kindle on my phone, liked it so much that I decided I wanted the K2 (and having a larger screen--when one is 4.5 years away from 50 the eyes aren't what they once were!) :-[

I hope I can switch back and forth...that would be great! But, there are worse things in life, right? :D

Thanks for the welcome!--glad to be here!
~Lynn

PS: Ha ha...no I don't work for AIG...I'm actually on the complete other side of the spectrum--a glass bead artist!
When you get 4.5 years passed 50, NOTHING works the way it once did!! ;)

Once you get your K2, you might not find yourself using the k on iphone app as much. FYI, downloading a kbook to both the K2 and iphone is a two hit count on your possible six kbook downloads. So, I don't d/l to my iphone unless I don't have my K2 handy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing and starting using the Kindle iPhone app while I was waiting for my Kindle to arrive! It was cool to be able to experience ebooks, browse titles and download samples, before officially being able to Kindle. Now that I have both, the Whispernet syncing works perfectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davem2bits said:
When you get 4.5 years passed 50, NOTHING works the way it once did!! ;)

Once you get your K2, you might not find yourself using the k on iphone app as much. FYI, downloading a kbook to both the K2 and iphone is a two hit count on your possible six kbook downloads. So, I don't d/l to my iphone unless I don't have my K2 handy.
I'm sorry, but...HUH? Remember, I don't get my K2 until Friday so I'm a K2 virgin...what does all of that MEAN??? ???

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a Kindle and an iPhone.  Have had the phone for almost 6 months and got the Kindle 1 about 1.5 months ago.  No biggie...

As for the "HUH?"  Amazon allows you to "download" a bought eBook to 6 devices then it stops.  Something about the digital rights thingy.  Anyway, downloading to your Kindle 2 would be 1....downloading to your iPhone would be 2....this would not be a problem for the majority of people....HOWEVER, some people have multiple Kindles on their account and then a Kindle problem that causes them to have to send back a Kindle for replacement.  If you have a scenario like this, then, yes, the 6 download is a problem.

Luv has this cause she had to replace 2 Kindles and I think her kids have Kindles, too?  And she has an iPhone...anyway, she called sutomer service over the problem and they are resetting the books that maxed out for her.  I think that it is tedious figuring out which books are no longer available, but customer service is working with her.

I may not have all the facts at 100%, but I hope that this helps you get the drift of what davem2bits was talking about.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that with just one Kindle and one iPhone, you shouldn't run into this problem....

Hope that answered some questions.  I am technical, but I don't "tech speak"!!  :)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have an iphone and a K2. I actually just got the iphone about 10 days ago. It does seem to sync pretty good from the K2 to the iphone, but not always as good from the iphone and K2. I haven't used it too much so I'm still working out the kinks and learning the ropes. I doubt I'll use the iphone app very often as it's much easier to read on my Kindle, but it's good to have when I forget.

As for the license limit, you're allowed to have the book on up to 6 different devices. I've 5 total K1's (2 of them replacements for one of mine), 1 ipod touch, and 2 iphones (my microphone died after 3 days and I had one replaced)..Because of the replacements, Amazon will remove the licenses I've "used up" on three of the devices. Apparently, I have to call them with a list of books I've gone over the limit on so they can manually do it. It's low on my priority list, so I haven't gotten around to it yet..It seems like an awful lot of work for something I'll rarely use. I'm hoping they come up with a better solution while I'm dragging my feet.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I have an iphone and a K2. I actually just got the iphone about 10 days ago. It does seem to sync pretty good from the K2 to the iphone, but not always as good from the iphone and K2. I haven't used it too much so I'm still working out the kinks and learning the ropes. I doubt I'll use the iphone app very often as it's much easier to read on my Kindle, but it's good to have when I forget.

As for the license limit, you're allowed to have the book on up to 6 different devices. I've 5 total K1's (2 of them replacements for one of mine), 1 ipod touch, and 2 iphones (my microphone died after 3 days and I had one replaced)..Because of the replacements, Amazon will remove the licenses I've "used up" on three of the devices. Apparently, I have to call them with a list of books I've gone over the limit on so they can manually do it. It's low on my priority list, so I haven't gotten around to it yet..It seems like an awful lot of work for something I'll rarely use. I'm hoping they come up with a better solution while I'm dragging my feet.
Luv - Would you be willing to chime in with your thoughts on this in the 7th Device Issue thread? Thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have tried all the tips.

And it only wants to sync to the I-touch,
the i-Touch claiming to be the furthest point read acrtoss all devices.

Not true though...

So it only works one way and not the other which is just about as bad as not at all.

So far this seems to be my only "glitch" so I will not complain since my K2 seems to work, doesn't get ghost images, doesn't seem to fade etc etc etc...

The screen is a tiny bit dark but I can live with it.

Eric

·
Registered
460 Posts
Learn something new everyday... I'm planning to pick up an Iphone early next month and if I'm able to sync between the two devices, that would be excellent.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have both iPhone and K2.

I had tried another reader for iPhone, to see if I could stand reading on the small LCD screen for long periods of time. I couldn't, so I bought Kindle.

Then the same week I got my K2, they released the iPhone app. Over all I'm a pretty happy camper.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Okay, I was all ready to followup on the iPhone and Kindle sync when I discovered that lo and behold!  After my hour long phone call to Amazon, the iPhone sync works perfectly now.  Seems like no updated needed.
Now I am synching both to and from the iPhone. 

I believe it was something on the backend at Amazon.  As I manually synched my iPhone, I saw Fred downloading something.  It was really fast.  When I immediately went to open the same book on Fred, it asked me if I wanted to sync to the furthest page read from my iPhone (I'm going to have to name it also).  Nicely enough, this also works with WhisperSync OFF.  My daughter has a Kindle 1 on my account and we don't want to sync them.  I'm just glad she doesn't have an iPhone as well. 

·
Registered
740 Posts
Its good to know they work well together.  I have always hated the iPhone but now it seems to be growing on me.  Guess what I'll be spending my tax return on  ;D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sweety18 said:
Its good to know they work well together. I have always hated the iPhone but now it seems to be growing on me. Guess what I'll be spending my tax return on ;D
I hope you already filed. Look like the boys in Washington already gave away all the money to bankers and insurance agents. ;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
kevindorsey said:
They work fairly well together from all the reviews.
Mine was broken until today.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I believe it was something on the backend at Amazon. As I manually synched my iPhone, I saw Fred downloading something. It was really fast. When I immediately went to open the same book on Fred, it asked me if I wanted to sync to the furthest page read from my iPhone (I'm going to have to name it also).
How about Barney. :)

Ann

1 - 20 of 29 Posts